This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ice Cream Cones

kbabe1968

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Recipes? The ones I've found don't really sound like they'll work...and if they don't I can't imagine they'd taste any good!

Has anyone made ice cream cones?

:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cherry Tart Apprentice

I'm afraid I haven't made any cones from scratch. However, here's a link for a recipe I found for homemade cones on the net Open Original Shared Link - Let us know how they come out! :D

If they end up being too time consuming, I highly recommend Cerrone Waffle Cones. They are light, crispy, and the closest thing to the "real deal" (albeit a tad fragile). Good luck!

Cheri A Contributor

I second the vote for Cerrone Cones ~ Carleigh loves them!

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Thanks...I saw them...but they were like $8 a box???? NAH!!! I'd rather attempt to make them, than buy them - at least first. If I fail miserably then I won't feel bad spending that for myself! It's like a buck a cone! YIKES!!!!

gf4life Enthusiast

I spent the money on cones once, but had a hard time with the fact that half of them shipped to me broken! Then I bought some in a store and had the same problem. We are just fine with eating ice cream out of a bowl!

Karen B. Explorer

These won't break on you :D

Ice Cream Cone Dishes & Spoons

Open Original Shared Link

P.S. they had the best sounding recipe up on their website that could easily be made gluten-free (sub gluten-free flour for 2 Tbsp regular flour):

(correction in italics added after closer reading)

Shrimp and Grits

A legendary morning repast in the Carolina Low Country, shrimp and grits is said to have begun as a fisherman's breakfast, created by shrimpers using the days catch. Original recipes called for saut

Juliebove Rising Star
I'm afraid I haven't made any cones from scratch. However, here's a link for a recipe I found for homemade cones on the net Open Original Shared Link - Let us know how they come out! :D

If they end up being too time consuming, I highly recommend Cerrone Waffle Cones. They are light, crispy, and the closest thing to the "real deal" (albeit a tad fragile). Good luck!

I'm going to try the recipe. I bought some that my daughter liked, but they had soy lecithin in them and she's allergic to soy. She's also allergic to eggs, so I hope this will work with the substiture. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cherry Tart Apprentice
I'm going to try the recipe. I bought some that my daughter liked, but they had soy lecithin in them and she's allergic to soy. She's also allergic to eggs, so I hope this will work with the substiture. Thanks!

Yes, the Cerrone cones are outrageously pricey (I forgot to include that in my initial post). That's why I only buy them once a year! :P Please keep us posted on the homemade cones, I've been anxious to try the recipe.

Katydid Apprentice

I have a pizelle maker, which is like a waffle iron, but a makes thin, lacey, round product.

These make terrific cones if you roll these around a cone shape while they are still warm. They crisp up in just a minute and then you can go on to the next one. When using for ice cream though I always dip the tips in melted chocolate and let set before filling (so they don't leak when ice cream starts to melt)

Another way I use them is to place them in a custard cup while warm and the edges gather up in a ruffle. When they are cool you can remove them and serve ice cream or fruit or pudding in them. They look like a cute little basket.

I use this kind of shell for cannoli too because to me its easier than deep frying each one.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

Barkat cones are expensive but really good. They have them at the Open Original Shared Link.

Glutano also makes one that is available on Open Original Shared Link

I would also be interested in how your homemade ones turn out.

little-c Contributor
I have a pizelle maker, which is like a waffle iron, but a makes thin, lacey, round product.

These make terrific cones if you roll these around a cone shape while they are still warm. They crisp up in just a minute and then you can go on to the next one. When using for ice cream though I always dip the tips in melted chocolate and let set before filling (so they don't leak when ice cream starts to melt)

Another way I use them is to place them in a custard cup while warm and the edges gather up in a ruffle. When they are cool you can remove them and serve ice cream or fruit or pudding in them. They look like a cute little basket.

I use this kind of shell for cannoli too because to me its easier than deep frying each one.

Katydid: Since summer arrived (my first since diagnosis) I've been craving an ice cream cone! I never thought of using a pizelle maker. Can you list the recipe you use? I have a friend who makes pizelles and just might make me some cones if I give her your recipe. Thanks. :P

Guhlia Rising Star

I just wanted to mention that I've had Barkat cones in my pantry since the first warm day of spring. They weren't in a sealed bag or anything, just in the box they came in. We ate some last night and they were wonderful! Just like a real ice cream cone! I couldn't believe they weren't stale or anything. So, my cone recommendation would have to be Barkat, just because they last so long. Plus, there are plenty in the box. They will last my whole family all summer long I believe. It was so nice to have an ice cream cone again!!! That was my first one in 4 years.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Thanks!

How much do pizzelle makers run? I'd love to get that waffle type texture. Dipping the tips in chocolate is such a good (not to mention YUMMY) idea! :D

THANKS! :D

Katydid Apprentice

little c Sure I will post the recipe, but later this evening when I get home from work.

kbabe The cost of pizzelle makers is all over the place. I have two- I gave $2.00 for one at a tag sale and $20 for the other one when it was on sale at Younkers. The last one is for mini pizzelles--they are only about 3" in diameter. I plan to use it to make little cannoli's for our group's potluck on Saturday. I just 'googled' and I see the prices online vary alot, too. Ebay also has several listed.

Katydid Apprentice

ok - here is the recipe for pizzelles

6 Eggs

1 Cup Butter

2 teaspoons vanilla or anise extract

4 cups gluten free flour blend

3 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon xanthan gum

1 1/2 cups sugar

Beat eggs until smooth. Melt butter. Allow butter to cool briefly while you mix the sugar and vanilla or anise into the egg. Then add melted butter to mix. Sift the flour, xanthan gum and baking power onto the mix and blend vigorously to insure uniformity. The batter will be sticky and stiff. As needed adjust the mixture with a few tablespoons of water or flour to slightly thin or stiffen the batter so it flows ribbon-like off a small teaspoon. Drop by spoonful onto each pattern and promptly close the lid. Bake about 30 to 45 seconds. You can try a few to get your stride. You will have plenty of batter as this recipe makes a ton -about 75. (you may want to cut down recipe)

• 3 weeks later...
cruelshoes Enthusiast

I don't know if this thread is still active, but I came across a book with a gluten-free ice cream cone recipe on Amazon today. I haven't tried it, but I thought someone might be interested.

Gluten-Free Without Rice introduces you to gluten-free grains and grain alternatives other than rice such as teff, millet, sorghum, quinoa, buckwheat, tapioca, arrowroot, corn, potato starch, and more. It gives you over 75 delicious recipes for muffins, crackers, bread, pancakes, waffles, granola, main and side dishes, cookies, and desserts. (Even ice cream cones!)With this book you can cook easily for a gluten-free diet without relying on rice. Whether you have celiac disease or food allergies, this book will make it easier and more enjoyable to stay on your diet and will help you to improve your health.

Archived