This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mini Test From A Newbie

kalikohl

kalikohl Rookie

Quick Background- I have had Crohn's Colitis since Summer of 2005. Recently I've had a few things that are making me and my doctor think I may have C.D.

So today I decided to do a mini-test. I ate nothing with gluten. Applesauce, celery with hummus, shiska-bobs and brown rice and a tofutti ice cream dessert. And I actually feel human. I'm not super tired, I didn't have a bad headache, and like my stomach isn't super swollen.

Is this normal? Do you really feel better like right away or am I grasping at straws?

thanks for any info you can provide.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Karen B. Explorer

You might find this interesting:

Celiac Disease Prevalence High in Patients with Crohn's Disease

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-39107055035.eb

Sounds to me like your body had a day without fighting a gluten reaction and it's letting you know it likes gluten-free. Did you also notice there was no dairy in the foods you mentioned? Gluten may not be your only issue.

If you intend to be tested for Celiac, don't go gluten-free until after the test. Going gluten-free before the test can yield a false negative. If I were you, I'd be on the phone to my doc tomorrow.

Congrats on figuring it out!

gfpaperdoll Rookie

yes, a lot of people feel better after a day or two gluten-free.

Re Crohns: From my support group: There is a lady vet that worked with another vet that had celiac. She started baking gluten-free birthday cakes so that he & his celiac daughter could eat the cake.

She did this for several years, then 5 years ago she went into the gluten-free cake business (& wow is she ever good at it). she built a kitchen in her house completely gluten-free, did a bunch of research & would come to our support meetings to bring samples & pass out her business card.

I was picking up some cakes at her vet office & was talking to her & found out that she had crohns I encourged her to get tested thru enterolab.com She got tested & was positive has a DQ2 & a DQ8. She went gluten-free & guess what she does not have crohns anymore. She thanked me a couple of times for talking her into getting tested. I could not believe how much she knew but never got herself tested. She said on day 4 she felt like a whole new person. & of course she said she is studying a lot more now that it is so personal. Not sure what her family is doing at this time. but she is definitely gluten-free & attending all our meetings. Of course she always gives me extra cake to take home!! :) She is also in the process of tearing out the old gluten kitchen & making one huge gluten-free kitchen.

sneezydiva Apprentice
Is this normal? Do you really feel better like right away or am I grasping at straws?

thanks for any info you can provide.

I have been asking myself this very same question. My blood tests for Celiac Disease were negative even though I ate gluten before the test. But I went 2 days gluten free and felt pretty good. Then I went 4 days gluten free and felt great. Then I went 2 more days, was feeling pretty good and intending to go longer, but was at a party and ate some gluten. Today I woke up achy and have been on the toilet on and off all morning. (Sorry hope that isn't TMI).

Without an official diagnosis, I think I needed to keep testing it to know for sure it wasn't a placebo effect and all in my head. Now I'm committed to really doing it. But suffice it to say, the relief you felt for just one day is very real.

Archived