This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Just Made "oreo" Cookies!

ptkds

ptkds Community Regular

I used the recipe from www.recipezaar.com for gluten free Oreo cookies. They are GREAT!!

Just wanted to share with those that are looking for oreo cookies!

ptkds

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

buffettbride Enthusiast
I used the recipe from www.recipezaar.com for gluten free Oreo cookies. They are GREAT!!

ptkds

YIPEEE!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much!

Definitely have to give those a go. Oreos are my DDs favorite!

confusedks Enthusiast

Can you post the link so I can find it? Thanks!!

Kassandra

hangininthere Apprentice

Wow! I'm so happy you posted this! Can't wait to try them!

Here's the webaddress for the recipe I found! And recipe below too! Is this the recipe you used?

I don't have egg replacer, don't know what it is...I hope they turn out without it! Or any ideas what I could replace the egg replacer with? Maybe more egg or egg white?

(And I use guar gum instead of xanthan gum.)

Open Original Shared Link

Gluten Free Oreo Cookies

Recipe #186848

What's your favorite way to eat an oreo cookie? Some of us Celiac's may have forgotten our favorite way ... or tried really hard to forget oreo cookies even existed. Well forget no more, you will never have another craving for an oreo cookie. These taste exactly like the real wheat containing oreo cookie. Split these cookies apart and lick the frosting from each side, or dip them in milk, they are so similar! Slip these cookies into your children's lunches for a real treat. They won't feel different from the other kids eating these, in fact the other children will definitely be envious of them for once! Note: If you have a cookie stamp, press onto sliced cookies before baking to give a more authentic look to the cookies.

by GlutenFreeGirl

Makes 45 servings/45 filled cookies

Time to make 30 min. 20 min prep.

Dough

3/4 cup rice flour

3/4 cup tapioca flour

3/4 cup cornstarch

1 teaspoon xanthan gum

2 teaspoons egg substitute

2/3 cup cocoa

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup butter

1 cup white sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

1-2 teaspoon milk

Filling

2 cups confectioners' sugar

3 tablespoons shortening

1/4 teaspoon vanilla

2 tablespoons hot water

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour mix, xanthan gum, egg replacer, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

3. In the bowl of the mixer, cream the margarine and sugar until light. Add the egg and vanilla and beat well. (Note: I don't have a heavy duty mixer, so I used a hand held one and I did have a little trouble with the dough sticking to the beaters. So don't be discouraged if you have to keep pushing the dough off the beaters with a spatula, you aren't doing anything wrong. And don't worry I promise these cookies are well worth the trouble!).

4. Add the dry ingredients in 3 additions. If the dough becomes too stiff, add the milk as needed.

5. Shape the dough into two 10"x1-1/2" rolls. Wrap in foil and chill. Chill for about 15-20 minutes.

6. Cut into 1/8" slices, if you have a cookie stamp, you can at this point press it onto the sliced cookies before baking. Bake these cookies on an UNGREASED cookie sheet for 10 minutes.

7. Let cool for only a few minutes before removing from the cookie sheet. Cool thoroughly on a rack.

8. For the filling, combine confectioners' sugar, shortening, vanilla and hot water ( use enough to create a good spreading texture.).

ptkds Community Regular

Yep, that's the recipe I used. But insead of rolling it up in foil like the recipe says, I put the dough in a cookie press. My original plan was to press the cookies out, but the dough it too thick for that. So instead, I put the press in the refrigerator for a while, and then I pressed out a little bit at a time and cut off a slice. You just have to make sure that the dough is compressed enough or it will fall apart when you slice it. This may not make sense now, but it will when you work with the dough. It is pretty crumbly. But it is well worth it!! I have really missed oreo cookies!

Good luck!!

ptkds

Emily Elizabeth Enthusiast

Bless you for posting!

ptkds

Archived