This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened Vs. Uterus

melmak5

melmak5 Contributor

JNB - thank you, I know this is temporary, its just kicking my butt today.

Yes. I was on probiotics, before, during and after being on the antibiotics. I have switched and mixed two different brands, to make sure I was getting enough.

I have avoided dairy, corn and soy for the past two months. (I tried re-introducing all three on separate occasions and each caused more pain/bloating/D)

I will be honest that I have had a little bit of dairy of the past week. I know its counter intuitive to feel unwell and still eat something that is not helping with that, but dairy is kind of my world. I work in a cheese shop, I have made cheese, I just finished writing a piece on raw milk for a magazine.

I know about blue cheese and haven't touched the stuff, but I did put some cow's milk in my coffee this morning... that's the extent of my "dairy free cheating."

I will take dairy back out again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
JNB - thank you, I know this is temporary, its just kicking my butt today.

Yes. I was on probiotics, before, during and after being on the antibiotics. I have switched and mixed two different brands, to make sure I was getting enough.

I have avoided dairy, corn and soy for the past two months. (I tried re-introducing all three on separate occasions and each caused more pain/bloating/D)

I will be honest that I have had a little bit of dairy of the past week. I know its counter intuitive to feel unwell and still eat something that is not helping with that, but dairy is kind of my world. I work in a cheese shop, I have made cheese, I just finished writing a piece on raw milk for a magazine.

I know about blue cheese and haven't touched the stuff, but I did put some cow's milk in my coffee this morning... that's the extent of my "dairy free cheating."

I will take dairy back out again.

I was actually asking because so many dairy things can be so very beneficial, ESPECIALLY raw milk, ESPECIALLY raw goat's milk if you can get it. A lot of people who can't tolerate normal dairy can tolerate raw goat's milk. Actually, after the last time I got glutened, I became temporarily lactose intolerant for the first time. I found that taking a lactase with each meal made it completely tolerable for me, and I stuck with it because I so deperately need the calories. If you'd like to try either of those things, they sell lactase super-cheap at walmart, and the wesbite realmilk.org can help you find a goat's milk supplier in you area, if it's legal in your state. It'll cost you though, that's the only problem.

Any chance you could tell me what brand probiotics you're using?

melmak5 Contributor

I can get raw cow's milk, but not goat at this time... though I am not sure my body is down with either.

I take Jarro-Dophilus (4.4 billion per capsule, 8 species)

FloraSmart (6 billion per caplet, 10 species)

I chose them cause they are both dairy-free, gluten-free and are not suppose to break down in the stomach.

I take one capsule in the morning, when I get up, with a full glass of water. (I try to get ready, THEN eat breakfast, so they have time in there by themselves).

I usually take another one in the evening.

Hmm, well, sounds to me like you're doing everything right, as far as my knowledge extends. How long have you been gluten-free, by the way?

For foods that are healing to the digestive tract, I'd try Weston Price's website, also. I found a farm that sells goat milk out in Mendon, not sure if they're operational or taking new customers or if you'd really wanna drive that far....

melmak5 Contributor

I don't have a car, so I probably won't make the trip, but its really good to know its available.

Gluten free since mid-June, but I had a lot of trouble (ie - was taking a multivitamin with wheat, working in an office licking envelopes, etc. - I had a big learning curve with one of those doctors who called on the phone and said "you have celiac disease, go look it up on the internet and don't eat gluten)

Maybe some of this is reproductively related. Hopefully once that is cleared up the focus can be all digestive.

Thanks again!

Well, good lord girl, give yourself a minute to breathe! Very rarely does anyone get better right away, and I think it WILL take a while for the bacterial stuff in your system to straighten out. You're still healing, it may take some time. But you're doing the exactly right thing.

And if it makes you feel any better, I didn't know that rye was unsafe for over a year after I stopped eating wheat. Only recently was I able to confirm to myself that I have Celiac, I got DH for the first time. Up til a few months before then, I'd been glutening myself unknowingly, and not understanding why I was still so tired all the time, even though my GI symptoms went away. I only learned when I came to this board.

And there's always a chance there's a co-op for raw dairy in your neighborhood, maybe get in touch with your local celiac support chapter for ideas? That's only if you're only lactose intolerant though, if you have a casein issue there's no pill you can take for that.

melmak5 Contributor

I know, patience is not my thing.

It took the doctors 2 months to diagnose me, and I know in "celiac diagnosis time" that is but a speck, but it just feels like I have been sick and unwell for a lot longer. Being in the ER last week just took so much physically and emotionally out of me. I just feel beat.

I have had some difficulties contacting the local support group, perhaps summer is a busy time for people. I hear nothing but great things about them, so I am going to give them another shot.

I just, just found a woman who lives close by who picks up raw milk every 3 weeks, so there is a chance I can car pool.

I have never been tested for any dairy issues. Many years ago my doctor told me to try lactaid when I had some digestive problems (when I was diagnosed as being allergic to MSG) and it helped some of the time, but not all. Right now anything with fat has been an issue, but maybe I can give lactaid + yogurt a try and see how that fairs.

I have the overwhelming urge to frankenstein myself some new body parts and see how they do too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I know, patience is not my thing.

It took the doctors 2 months to diagnose me, and I know in "celiac diagnosis time" that is but a speck, but it just feels like I have been sick and unwell for a lot longer. Being in the ER last week just took so much physically and emotionally out of me. I just feel beat.

I have had some difficulties contacting the local support group, perhaps summer is a busy time for people. I hear nothing but great things about them, so I am going to give them another shot.

I just, just found a woman who lives close by who picks up raw milk every 3 weeks, so there is a chance I can car pool.

I have never been tested for any dairy issues. Many years ago my doctor told me to try lactaid when I had some digestive problems (when I was diagnosed as being allergic to MSG) and it helped some of the time, but not all. Right now anything with fat has been an issue, but maybe I can give lactaid + yogurt a try and see how that fairs.

I have the overwhelming urge to frankenstein myself some new body parts and see how they do too.

Good idea! Just make sure it's plain yogurt, pref. organic, definitely don't need all that extra sugar. I add frozn fruit, like cherries, makes a yummy syrup when it melts, and it's just plain fruit.

jmd3 Contributor
- I had a big learning curve with one of those doctors who called on the phone and said "you have celiac disease, go look it up on the internet and don't eat gluten)

I had two drs tell me the same thing, one in office, one on the phone. It is a shocked because you have no idea where to go.

Archived