This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fasting

melmak5

melmak5 Contributor

Have you fasted?

What type of fast and for how long?

Did you find it helpful?

I am in pain when I eat and have been having allergic reactions to things and I cannot pinpoint the cause so I am thinking about doing a vegetable broth and aloe vera juice combo for the long weekend.

Try to give my insides some time to calm down.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gdobson Explorer

I have many times taken a week or 2 at a time and eaten nothing but fresh veggies - with nothing added to them. It always seems to give my metabolism a jump start and perks me up out of a slump.

Anything less than that makes me light headed.

kbtoyssni Contributor

I'm not a fan of fasting because of what it does to your metabolism. Your metabolism will decrease if you fast and can often take up to six months to recover (depending on the person and the length of the fast). I wish I had some research to refer to here.

However, it seems like you want to do this to get your digestive system back on track and working properly again. There has to be something you know is safe for you to eat. I'd recommend avoiding the top eight allergens: Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree nuts (such as almonds, cashews, walnuts), Fish (such as bass, cod, flounder), shellfish (such as crab, lobster, shrimp), Soy, Wheat. You might also want to add casein and maybe nightshades to the list. This way you'd be able to give the digestive system a rest and still get enough calories to keep the metabolism up.

melmak5 Contributor

kbtoyssni - I agree in theory, but I have cut those items out and have not had any improvement. Maybe it takes longer than I am expecting for these to clear my system, but I cannot keep relying on muscle relaxants so I can sleep.

I was not aware about the metabolism thing. I knew the body's metabolism would slow, but I didn't know it can take that long to kick back into gear.

If you do find that info, I would be very interested how and when this occurs. Maybe I can add some veggie juice into the mix (fruit juice = the feeling of burping fire).

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear melmak5,

I really think there is a common element in most foods that irritate your system. The element is fungus. It naturally occurs in many things. If you have an overgrowth of yeast, fruit juices, dried fruits, grains, fresh fruits, high carbohydrate starchy foods, and numerous other things will bother your system. Eating peanuts/butter, pistachios, alcohol, yeast, cheese, dairy with the exception of plain yogurt with live active cultures, and vinegar particularly aggravate the situation.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Juliebove Rising Star

I can't fast because I have diabetes and that would mess with my blood sugar too much. However, when my stomach is acting up, I stick to small amounts of plain chicken breast chopped up fine and mixed with a little white rice and plenty of chicken broth. I'll eat that at every meal until things settle down.

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear melmak5,

I have low blood sugar, so fasting is not an option for me. I get very sick if I do not eat after a while. Eating every four hours or so is essential for me. I even have to wake up and eat during the evenings, or whenever I am sleeping. Otherwise, I cannot rest, because I get hot flashes and sweats when my sugar drops.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived