This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question About Potatoes & Joint Pain

rock on

rock on Apprentice

I was wondering if anyone could clear up some confusion I've had over potatoes. I keep hearing a lot of people talking about nightshades affecting joints and how 'white potatoes' are not good for some people...now what kind of potatoes are we talking about here? Russet baking potatoes? Are 'red potatoes' ok, or are they not because they are white inside? What about those potatoes that are purple inside? I know sweet potatoes are ok...just wondering if there are any others that are as well. My husband has arthritis & we're considering cutting out potatoes from his diet, but he loooooves potatoes, so we're wondering if there's any way around this since his diet has changed so much from going gluten free.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rock on Apprentice

I posted this a few days ago, but I think I did it in the wrong section & it got moved...now I can't find it on the board....so, I'm reposting to see if anyone has some input for me.

I was wondering if anyone could clear up some confusion I've had over potatoes. I keep hearing a lot of people talking about nightshades affecting joints and how 'white potatoes' are not good for some people...now what kind of potatoes are we talking about here? Russet baking potatoes? Are 'red potatoes' ok (the little ones with red skin), or are they not because they are white inside? What about those potatoes that are purple inside? I know sweet potatoes are ok...just wondering if there are any others that are as well. My husband has psoriatic arthritis & we're considering also cutting out potatoes from his diet, but he loooooves potatoes, so we're wondering if there's any way around this since his diet has changed so much from going gluten free.

Thanks.

Juliebove Rising Star

It's not just white potatoes. It's nightshades. That includes all potatoes, eggplant, tomatoes, peppers and probably some other things I'm forgetting about.

That being said, nightshades do not affect all people with arthritis. I have psoriatic arthritis and am not affected by them. My mom has rhuematoid arthritis and is affected.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Red potatoes have less starch than others, so are better for diabetics and low carb folks; but they are just as much a nightshade as the other true potatoes. Tobacco is also a nightshade. Black pepper is not. Sweet potatoes/yams are not (marigold family).

There is another thread here about low oxalates where folks talk a lot about nightshades. You might want to try it out.

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

I have severe arthritis in my joints oddly potatoes do not bother me. I follow a pral load, acid versus alkaline foods and avoid acid producing foods. It helped my arthritis greatly.

Juliebove Rising Star

It's all nightshades and not just white potatoes that can be a problem. I have psoriatic arthritis and they don't cause me problems. My mom has rhuematoid arthritis and they do cause her problems.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HAVE YOU CHECKED OUT JERSEY ANGEL'S THREAD HERE ON OXALATES?

THERE ARE SOME LINKS.............ALSO THE ONE MICHAEL FOWLER DID ON POTATOES?

IT TALKES ABOUT IT TOO

GOOD LUCK

JUDY

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived