This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need To Feed 11 Gluten Eaters I Don't Know Very Well

cruelshoes

cruelshoes Enthusiast

My best girlfriend from High School roped me into joining her Open Original Shared Link group. Part of the deal is that you have to host the event once a year. January it's my turn. None of these women know about my Celiac Disease, mostly because I haven't wanted to take the time to explain it. When I go to their houses, I just try to show up after the dinner is over and don't make a deal over it. I hate trying to explain it to new people, and trying to get a safe meal at 11 different houses seems like an impossibility to me.

I have to come up with a dinner, munchies for each of the tables and a dessert. The menu has to be something not too expensive. I have to be able to prepare most of it the day or morning before because I will be working that day. AND I would like it if it were pretty normal stuff that gluten eaters would be able to wrap their heads around without too much effort. I am thinking maybe soups in the crockpot for dinner? Maybe lasagne? My brain hurts!

I am having a heart attack over this. Having people over in general gives me lots of anxiety. But I would really like to not stick out as the wierd one with the food issues. <_<

Anyone have any ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Why does it have to be a gluten filled meal. Make a big pot of chili or gluten free stew, both can be made ahead, add an relish tray with gluten-free cheeses, raw veggies and gluten-free dip, fruit salad and make a cheesecake with gluten free cookies. If you had to have crackers make them 'exotic' types with lots of different gluten-free varities like rice crackers, Ener-g makes a saltine that you could easily pass of as just low salt and so on. You wouldn't even need to mention that everything is gluten-free, no one will know except you and you won't risk making yourself sick in the preperation and will be able to relax.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

You can make some

gluten free stuffed shells (cheese type)

chicken scampi very easy, italian dressing, chicken breast tenders, gluten-free noodles

I have fed a lot of people Tinkyada pasta and they have not noticed the difference.

So you can do a pasta dish.

Salads?

bluejeangirl Contributor

Did you ever make pulled pork? I usually make this if its a make ahead meal. If you put the pork roast in the crock pot add rootbeer to cover and it helps to tenderize it even more. Once its done and make sure its tender enough because you just pull it or shred it up and add your favorite BBQ sauce. I like Saz. You have to use alot because it'll taste better. Just let them serve it on buns so you don't even have to touch it. I'll put mine on a piece of G.F. bread.

You can buy the sides at the deli or make something easy.

Gail

jerseyangel Proficient

Gail,

Roor beer--really? I've been thinking of making pulled pork with Sweet Baby Ray's sauce.....

I have some Boylan's Natural Root Beer--what kind of flavor does it add?

Cruelshoes,

You could do a lazagne with Tinkyada noodles a day ahead and just heat it up before the get-together. Stew is a good idea....chicken stir-fry over rice.....

Do a big salad with veggies, and rolls made with Gluten Free Pantry French Bread Mix.

Munchies can be cheese and Glutino Crackers, corn chips, popcorn, etc.

A pan of GFP Truffle Brownies, ice cream and gluten-free toppings.....angelfood cake, strawberries, whipped cream or Cool Whip....

Don't stress out! We'll get you through it :D

Mango04 Enthusiast

You could do a salad bar - different types of lettuce, all sorts of veggies, some simple meats, a few different dressings etc. I've been to a couple events that had this and women really seem to enjoy it.

For munchies on the table, you can do corn chips, salsa, rice crackers, hummus, cheese, popcorn, nuts...nobody will know the difference. :D

I totally forgot about the dessert! Do the GFP brownies, my gluten friends gobble them up! Most people love ice cream too, especially with toppings.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Phyllis28 Apprentice

For the main meal you can do a crockpot meal. Something like vegetable beef stew or a roast with potatoes and carrots.

Other things to add to the meal that are quick, easy and can be done in advance are:

A cheese plater

Glutino gluten free pretzels

Bake gluten free muffins and/or you can serve store bought gluten rolls if you are comfortable with this.

Fruit salad

Three Bean Salad

Green salad with raw vegetables (such as carrots and tomatoes) on the side. Choice of Gluten Free dressings. Don't bother with the croutons.

Gluten free desert - possibly, pudding, tarts without a crust, like pumpkin tarts, M&Ms, fudge or Gluten free cookies (homemade or store bought)

Good Luck with your party.

Mango04 Enthusiast

For an easy dessert make some 3 ingredient pb cookies (people love them). Melt some chocolate chips and slather the chocolate on top when they come out of the oven. Yum! :D

Phyllis28 Apprentice

One more thought. You could do a make your own taco bar with taco meat, shredded chicken, cheese, tomatos, onions, lettace, sour cream, rice, beans and corn tortillas (hard and soft).

confused Community Regular

I was just going to say what phyllis did, you could also get tostads shells and make tostados and tacos, you could also make some red chili and have fritos also and make frito pie. You use all the same ingredients for all three and it gives some variety.

paula

I really like the taco bar idea! I would be at your party in a heart beat :)

bluejeangirl Contributor
Gail,

Roor beer--really? I've been thinking of making pulled pork with Sweet Baby Ray's sauce.....

I have some Boylan's Natural Root Beer--what kind of flavor does it add?

I've never noticed a root beer flavor or anything just that it helps to tenderize the meat. Remember the experiment if you put a nail in a glass of coke it will dissolve over time? So what ever is in soda ....Phosphates? You throw the liquid out of course when its done. I like sweet baby ray's also.

Gail

jerseyangel Proficient
I've never noticed a root beer flavor or anything just that it helps to tenderize the meat. Remember the experiment if you put a nail in a glass of coke it will dissolve over time? So what ever is in soda ....Phosphates? You throw the liquid out of course when its done. I like sweet baby ray's also.

Gail

Ok, thanks :) And thanks for mentioning to throw away the liquid--I wouldn't have known whether to do that or not :lol:

When I was in school, the teacher put a tooth (I guess a kid who had just lost one brought it in) in a glass of Coke, and it dissolved, also. Powerful stuff!

Mango04 Enthusiast
I really like the taco bar idea! I would be at your party in a heart beat :)

Me too :D The taco bar is a good idea!

WW340 Rookie

Personally, I always make the gluten free lasagna. It is easy to make ahead and then bake right before serving. Add a salad and it makes a great meal that all my gluten eating friends have enjoyed and never could tell it was gluten free.

I do not precook the noodles. I just cook some ground beef and layer with the cheese and sauce and add a little extra water. It comes out great each and every time.

Darn210 Enthusiast

I second the taco bar, sundae bar, salad bar . . . or a baked potato bar with butter, chives, sour cream, shredded cheese, bacon, broccoli, chili . . . am I forgetting anything?

Veggie tray if they want healthy snacks or if not, then the sky's the limit!!! . . . I like Tings because they wouldn't get the fingers/dice all orangey. I make homemade chex mix (with corn & rice crunchems). Let's see . . . some of the things I've heard friends eating too much of . . . Trader Joe's caramels and chocolate covered gummi bears (you guys know who you are :P ). Peanut M&M's melt in your mouth not in your hands (or on the dice).

There are some fabulous dip recipes out there. I would serve them with glutino pretzels.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Ive done both the taco bar and ice cream/sundae bar and both were big hits--especially the sundae bar!!!

Eriella Explorer

Here is my taco recipe if you want it. I have made this for a big crowd (50) and it was easy and took 1 hour and 15 minutes from the time I walked into the kitchen until people ate. The only time they realized something was fishy was when they noticed that I was eating "normal" food.

Start with the meat:

Beef:

1. Place 2 lbs of beef or turkey on a George Forman grill to cook about 2/3 of the way through and to drain the fat (that way you can buy cheap meat)

2. Crumble the meat in a crockpot or foil pan.

3. Add 2 packages of McCormick Taco seasoning and water and place it on top of the meat. Let simmer for 2-3 hours for a crockpot or bake at 350 for 45 minutes for foil.

While it is in the George Forman, start on the rice. Rice: the world's easiest recipe is throw 1 jar of Tostitos salsa into a saucepan. Fill the empty jar with water and put it in the pot. Bring to boil. Fill the jar with white rice. Add to pot. Cover and cook until the water evaporates (normally 30 minutes). Sometimes it is a little crunchy and you need to add 1/4 cup more water or so, but normally it is good.

Then when both the meat and the rice are simmering, cut up the Toppings: I normally slice up lettuce, tomatoes, and onions on one plate. Cheese in another bowl. Sour cream and guacamole (if avocados are reasonable) in separate bowls.

Then set out Old El Paso taco shells, warm up 2 cans of Taco Bell Fat Free Refried beans, and put the rice in a nice bowl.

For dessert, I did Jello Jigglers. They were a huge hit and super cheap (ice cream gets expensive). Another cheap dessert that takes no time, can be made the night before, and everyone raves about is mini cheesecakes. Here is the recipe I used Open Original Shared Link. Just don't put in the cookie and they are fine (and people love them without the crust as long as you put some kind of topping on them. I did fresh blueberries because it was summer, but chocolate chips also work).

Good luck!

Archived