This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need High Fat Foods

confusedks

confusedks Enthusiast

I am about to start taking a medication which needs to be taken with high fat foods. I am wondering if people have ideas. It must be gluten-free, dairy free, soy free, sugar and starch free. It needs to be taken 2x day so things that are easy to prepare. Thanks everyone!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HAK1031 Enthusiast

peanut butter,nuts, avocado, olive oil (use to make salad dressing or something)

peanut butter is my personal favorite, put it on celery for it to be starch/sugar free (or an apple if you can do fruit)

Green12 Enthusiast
I am about to start taking a medication which needs to be taken with high fat foods. I am wondering if people have ideas. It must be gluten-free, dairy free, soy free, sugar and starch free. It needs to be taken 2x day so things that are easy to prepare. Thanks everyone!

Well dairy free wipes out all that high fat dairy category :lol:

Hmmm, I'm thinking, pretty much what HAK mentioned

Make guacamole with avocadoes

Hamburger patties with a higher fat ground beef

Salmon or other fatty fish varieties?

Nuts, nut butters, seeds

confusedks Enthusiast

Lol! I know, dairy kills most good options. It's funny because on the bottle it says take with "ice cream, fried foods, etc" yuck! :lol: I don't like high fat foods, and i don't want to get fat! LOL! Also, it's 2x day, so I wonder if I can just take it with a bite of something versus a whole meal?!

HAK1031 Enthusiast

oh and hummus, I forgot that one

Green12 Enthusiast
Lol! I know, dairy kills most good options. It's funny because on the bottle it says take with "ice cream, fried foods, etc" yuck! :lol: I don't like high fat foods, and i don't want to get fat! LOL! Also, it's 2x day, so I wonder if I can just take it with a bite of something versus a whole meal?!

Check with your pharmacist, they should be able to tell you if you need to eat a lot of fat, or if just a little would be sufficient with this particular med.

All of these foods listed are pretty healthy. If you were eating the high fat dairy, fried foods, things with a lot of sugar and fat combination, those are the things that cause weight gain.

tom Contributor

Nothing new to add here, just had to throw in that I never would've imagined how much I've come to loooooooooove avocados!!!! Mmmmmmm :)

A mini 'salad' of just 'cado & red onion w/ olive oil, lemon juice & salt&pepper really hits the spot sometimes.

Also adding toasted pinenuts works fantastic.

But 2x/day every day??!!

Maybe some nut butter or a good handful of some nuts is enough fat.

I buy them raw and roast(bake) them myself.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

Or, you could do what I do and just take a big old honking spoonful of nut butter! :ph34r:

tarnalberry Community Regular

I just eat avocados straight up - that's pretty easy to prepare. They're also good on lentils - if lentils count as "no starch" - for a pretty darn healthy, and tasty meal. (Trader Joes has precooked, refrigerated lentils, to make for truly lazy preparation.) You can also mix them with tuna fish - that's tasty, especially with salsa. :)

Coconut... not sure how to work that with no starch, as I usually blend coconut milk with fruit for smoothies, but something with coconut would be good.

And, of course, nuts.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I've heard from 14-20 grams of fat for that med.

How about the fudge? Coconut oil ... just add it to whatever you're eating. Olive oil, butter ... I'd just add fat to my regular meal when I was on it.

My doc suggested taking it with almond butter.

For breakfast, I would have a whey protein/fruit smoothie with a piece of fudge (not real fudge, that other recipe ;)).

confusedks Enthusiast

Thanks guys! Carla, wow! That's A LOT of fat! Man!!! I will start to count my grams of fat just to see if I am already getting that much...I tend to avoid fatty foods (even healthy fats) because they are bothersome to my stomach. I'll have to see how it goes.

Keep those great suggestions coming! :D Thanks!

confused Community Regular
Or, you could do what I do and just take a big old honking spoonful of nut butter! :ph34r:

Oh im glad to see some else eats it plain lol, my kids thought i was nut to do that, they hate the stuff. I of course dont take no meds so i have no excuse to eat it that way tho lol

paula

truthsearcher Rookie

;o

truthsearcher Rookie

ghee, virgin coconut oil, olive oil and avocados are my favorite fats!

If interested you can figure out fat on this website it's great if you are wanting to keep the carbs low and certain fat/protein ratios.Open Original Shared Link

hth

btw it's free to do fitday and you can even keep a food journal on it.

confusedks Enthusiast

Thanks for all your great ideas! :D I am going to have to get the actual medication first before I can start to brainstorm which fatty foods I need to eat! I guess this will keep my weight stable though, because I am about to cut out all sugar and starches, so this will balance everything. ;)

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Thanks for all your great ideas! :D I am going to have to get the actual medication first before I can start to brainstorm which fatty foods I need to eat! I guess this will keep my weight stable though, because I am about to cut out all sugar and starches, so this will balance everything. ;)

Hey! I just read that the yolk in a single large egg contains 5 grams of fat. That could help. One of my favorite meals is scrambled eggs with avocado and slsa on top. I know it sounds weird, but don't knock it til you try it.

Archived