This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Potien Problem

Crystalkd

Crystalkd Contributor

I've only been on the diet for 7 months now and to add to gluten-free I'm also corn, soy, dairy, and egg light since I seem to react to them too. I had to have back surgery last month and while in rehad we found out I was onthe malnurished side as well as lacking protein and havin low iron. I really want to see a dietian but my insurance doesn't cover it so I'm trying to figure this out on my own. I also have a thyroid problem. We're not sure what is is yet. I get that checked out on the 6th. A little ofthe back story: I started having severe back problems in December.It hurtso bad that once I got home from work it was really hard to cook for myself so I'm sure that played a part. I'm sure my job itself didn't help. I didn't always take the time to eat right. After starting the diet I gained weight but lost it and more. I've gained 3 pounds back. I've had a hard time coming to terms with the cost some of the gluten-free food because of my income. I've now lost my job so money is a concern but I have some one sharing the bills now so that helps. What are foods that are good protien and/or Iron sources? It really stinks that my insurance only covers a dietican for diabetics. This diet is just as life changeing and should be seen as such. I really need help here. Just to note I'm not getting glutened as my sister is gluten-free in my house because I won't even allow it through the front door. (You should have seen the fight when she brought a pizza in the house! LOL) I just want to get back to a healthy weight and maintain it. I feels so much better on the gluten-free diet! I also bought a whey protien powder that I put in my coffee every morning. I just started that this week. I also just started seeing a Celiac doc she put me on Align. Another note: We are not 100% sure I have Celiac because I am sightly IgA deffiant but we thing the thyroid problem autoimmune which would also point to Celiac. After hearing my story the Celiac doc won't even ask me to go back on a gluten diet she did however say that I could be following the diet too closely since I am fanatically about it. The way I see it it almost killed me! I'm just not sure what to do at this point. Any help you guys could give would be great!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gluten15 Apprentice

I'm on a lot of restrictions too and actually don't even buy that many things that are actually a gluten free as far as a gluten free brand.

You may want to try quinoa or buckwheat. These are both so good for us.

If you like salmon..I purchase Deming's sockeye salmon for under $3 a can and get three times out of it. Very, very good for us.

I will make a salad with different things like fresh spinache, brocolli, asparagus, avacados-a good healthy fat, can't do tomatoes, and some olive oil and apple cider vinegar 'with the mother'

Coconut is good for you, a good fat, and a great sweet treat low in sugar.

Depending what fruits, veggies and other things you can eat..which I cannot right now..but so many things can be done with mushrooms if you can do them, sweet potatoes are good for you.

I didn't see rick on your not list. 100% Brown rice cakes with light sea salt are good with Almond butter. Almonds are a nut that I can tolerate and it's good because it's the only alkaline nut. Real 100% almond butter can be expensive..but can last if you only use a little bit. Good source of protein.

Sardines..may sound gross..but if you have never tried them..they are pretty good. Only like a buck a can for four descent size one's. Get them either in only olive oil or spring water.

Something I learned is that most tuna that says 'in water' is actually in soy. I found some descent priced albacore fillets in a can in spring water. Get two times out of it. Great source of protein.

Check out Humm Foods Larabars. Very basic whole food non processed ingreadients. Free of almost everything.

If you can do beans. They are a great source of protein and you can do so many things with them.

Keeping olive oil and apple cider vinegar 'with the mother' in the house is a good idea because you could do so many things with them and fresh veggies, rice and beans.

As far as 'meat'. Good sources of salmon, tuna and sardines are a great source of protein. I actually end up having to guy them in cans. If you wait for sales and get the good source one's..they are better for you and won't cost much.

I try and buy most of my stuff when things are on sale. Everything I have mentioned here is available at my basic grocery store and I don't spend that much overall.

The apple cider vinegar 'with the mother'. Very good for you. Bragg's is a good one. Organic. Always make sure unpasturized if you get another kind and has 'with the mother' The Bragg's is one of the more popular..and as with most..very inexpensive and goes a long way.

Good first cold pressed virgin olive oil seems costly ast first..but goes a long way. On sale a lot.

I don't hardly any money on actual gluten free products. They are so expensive and I get along fine just eating regular foods that on there own are gluten free.

Not seeing rice and legume free on your list..you can do so many things with these two items.

Hoped I helped a little. I can't tolerate even more than you and don't feel deprived or feel like I spend a lot of money.

Two things I really enjoy that I consider treats are fresh coconut and avacados. Avacados for me are always on sale for a buck and I can get two times. They are a good fat.

Coconut is a good fat and good for digestion. I get can them for just a bit over a buck and they last a while.

I almost feel guiltly when I eat these two items..not together..lol..

I am lucky. I enjoy healthy food and don't miss bread or cold cereals or processed foods.

I can do eggs so that helps..but I can't do corn or rice super well..depends..but hardly any beans at all, no soy, dairy, sugar-so that cuts out a lot.

I am lucky I love salmon. Put that canned salmon with some spinache, avacados, tomatoes-if you can do, olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Yummo..lol.

Spinache is a great source of iron. Certain beans are too-navy, kidney and garbonzo. Lentils too. Pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds too. Sardines too and you get the protein too.

Vitamin C helps you absorb iron better.

Sounds like you are maybe egg light? I cook fresh spinache-a bag goes a long way and always on sale-aspargus in some olive oil and then add some beaten eggs with sea salt. If you can do spices..you can add them or garlic and onions if you can do them. Doesn't take as long as it sounds.

Since I am also do a candida diet..I can't do any sugar which cuts out so many carbs..but I think doing this at the same times as the gluten free diet has helped because I haven't been tempted to turn to other things that may have put some weight on me.

My grocery bill is actually less now because I am not buying anything processed or any extra stuff.

I think that a gluten free diet can seem expensive if you are purchasing actual gluten free made name brand products.

Good luck and hope I helped a little.

Crystalkd Contributor

Thanks. Ta helped. I don't buy alot of breads and such but I got spoiled when I was in rehab for my back because the went out and bought me all the breads that I don't usually buy. With my back problems and now healing from surgery I've put some of the quicker stuff in the house to help but I'm starting to get the urges to cook agian and I've picked up two new recipes from Food Network that are easily adaptable. I'll be going to the store to get the stuff for those so I'm excited. (I've always loved food!) Since my sister has been here we always keep a big bowl of salad in the fridge which has helped some. I'm also starting to freeze things more after we cook. One of the new recipes should freeze well. I'm also going to go look fr a vitiman I can take to help out.

YoloGx Rookie
Thanks. Ta helped. I don't buy alot of breads and such but I got spoiled when I was in rehab for my back because the went out and bought me all the breads that I don't usually buy. With my back problems and now healing from surgery I've put some of the quicker stuff in the house to help but I'm starting to get the urges to cook agian and I've picked up two new recipes from Food Network that are easily adaptable. I'll be going to the store to get the stuff for those so I'm excited. (I've always loved food!) Since my sister has been here we always keep a big bowl of salad in the fridge which has helped some. I'm also starting to freeze things more after we cook. One of the new recipes should freeze well. I'm also going to go look fr a vitiman I can take to help out.

Those sound like great ideas, only thing I could add is that its wise to be careful of eating all that fish what with mercury etc. Plus eating a lot of canned food in tins can add excess metal as well. I have found buying frozen fish in places like Trader Joe's however is very affordable. Just add a little water when you bake them and cover the container so they won't be dry. I personally like to also eat chicken--which I seem to need to be either range or organic. If you get a whole chicken and cut it up it lasts quite a while. Plus its a great addition to beans. I often use a slow cooker. My mother also likes her pork and hamburger as well. One thing with hamburger however is that you have to make sure its 100% pure and doesn't have additives to it! Like gluten.

As far as being too vigilant about your diet, if indeed you are celiac you need to be vigilant! Otherwise your body will react to even trace amounts as if it were a foreign invader--and then the body attacks the intestines and/or whatever other part of you the gluten affects. You could have trace amounts continually and you would react less, however your overall health would degrade considerably too over time. So it really isn't worth the trade off. If it was, I would be one of the first to do it since it is so damn inconvenient to eat out etc.

gluten15 Apprentice

Well I should have been clearer about how much and what type you consume and the cans they come in and to not being consuming canned products or fish everyday. I was just trying to give some easy ideas.

Fresh canned wild caught Copper River sockeye salmon has very little mercury. Try and be careful too what sort of cans they come in. Some have special insides.

Sardines too are at a low level.

White Tuna has more than regular tuna and is just above salmon on mercury levels.

All fish is going to have some no matter how it's packed. Salmon, light tuna and sardines are the lowest.

As with everything..moderation and variety is the key.

It's not as if I meant to consume to consume canned fish everyday.

Out of the salmon, sardines, and tuna that I consume in cans I only do so a couple of times a week and it usually is the wild alaskan copper river sockeye salmon in a special can.

Be careful..fresh tuna has more mercury than canned tuna. Tuna should be limited as a whole period.

Even all fresh fish has mercury..but salmon and sardines are the lowest.

Wild salmon and sardines in properly lined cans consumed in moderation should be ok.

Tuna as a whole should be very limited.

Make sure all the fishes are wild caught.

Canned sardines are one of the healthiest canned foods you can eat.

Sorry I wasn't clearer.

sickchick Community Regular

I know for sure if you combine legumes with, say, brown rice crackers, it makes a complete protein.

Do you like Hummus? You could blend up all kinds of beans to keep as "dip" in your fridge.

I do black beans, white beans, garbanzos often B)

Good luck it will get easier

Crystalkd Contributor

Thanks guys. I do like hummus with Nut Thins. I'm trying to make sure I keep some in the fridge to snack on. Just like the gluten-free diet itself it's taking me a while to figure everything out. Everytime I think I've got it under control I realize I don't and that there is something else to learn. I'm hoping that the thyroid is the colprit of the flucuating weight. That's the thing that concerns me the most. I'm underweight right now and a bit fantical about that. I've always een then but I feel like this is too thin! The scale has become my enemy!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I say go for the cow. Organic would be best, but is expensive. Sometimes ground turkey or chicken is cheaper. Fish is good, but again, best not to eat too much. I eat beef or chicken almost every day. Spinach has lots of iron. You might also consider supplementing with iron for now. It's harder for menstruating women to keep their iron levels up, and with celiac it's even harder, so you may just need to take extra.

YoloGx Rookie
I say go for the cow. Organic would be best, but is expensive. Sometimes ground turkey or chicken is cheaper. Fish is good, but again, best not to eat too much. I eat beef or chicken almost every day. Spinach has lots of iron. You might also consider supplementing with iron for now. It's harder for menstruating women to keep their iron levels up, and with celiac it's even harder, so you may just need to take extra.

I hear black-strap molasses is good too for iron if you can tolerate it. Raisins are another good source of iron too. If you eat beef just make sure it isn't hamburger levened with gluten. Also see how your body reacts. Some can have it frequently, others not.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I hear black-strap molasses is good too for iron if you can tolerate it. Raisins are another good source of iron too. If you eat beef just make sure it isn't hamburger levened with gluten. Also see how your body reacts. Some can have it frequently, others not.

Wouldn't they have to print that on the label?

YoloGx Rookie
Wouldn't they have to print that on the label?

They don't always. Its more like you need to make sure its 100% pure beef. And make sure there is no cc too!

Crystalkd Contributor

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I have to go to the store tomorrow anyway so I'll keep all that in mind. I also think that the more I heal frm surgery and the better I feel the more I'll feel like cooking for myself. I'm getting there quickly which is awesome.

Nancym Enthusiast

Best protein sources are meats, eggs, animal products like that. You can get fairly cheap cuts of meat and roast them a long time at a low temperature and they make the best roasts. Here's a recipe I've tried that is marvelous: Open Original Shared Link

If you stick to meat, veggies, fruit avoid all the gluten-free replacement foods, you can eat fairly cheaply and very healthily!

Archived