This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Probiotics Effects

Acersma

Acersma Rookie

I am on the 3rd day taking Probiotics. I have recently started a nut free, dairy/milk free, and of course for the past 9months gluten free diet. Started the probiotics due to bloating, nauseau and gas associated w/ the dairy. I have become even more bloated (didn't know it was possible) I am now constipated 2 1/2 days which is constipated for me. And gassy but really not even able to get it out. I feel like my stomach or intestines are actually "working" down there as there is movement and hard to discribe but movement. Anyone want to tell me any similar symptoms or what they went through in the beginning? Or did it get better?

Thank you,

Jody

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I did not do well with Probiotics. I remember that I felt nauseated and stopped them after only a few days.

If they don't work for you, try some yogurt which also has the "good" bacteria.

Acersma Rookie

I tried yogart but that and cheese and sour cream, butter, milk, cottage cheese, all the dairy has been making me ill. So yogart is not a good thing for me right now. Soon I hope but like i mentioned I am going dairy free and nut free for a while and see what is going on. Thank you for your response though! Always appreciated!

Acersma Rookie

I tried yogart but that and cheese and sour cream, butter, milk, cottage cheese, all the dairy has been making me ill. So yogart is not a good thing for me right now. Soon I hope but like i mentioned I am going dairy free and nut free for a while and see what is going on. Thank you for your response though! Always appreciated!

nikken007 Rookie
I am on the 3rd day taking Probiotics. I have recently started a nut free, dairy/milk free, and of course for the past 9months gluten free diet. Started the probiotics due to bloating, nauseau and gas associated w/ the dairy. I have become even more bloated (didn't know it was possible) I am now constipated 2 1/2 days which is constipated for me.

Don't probiotics come from dairy? I just picked some up yesterday and started taking them, myself. I would think that if probiotics do have dairy in them and you don't do well on dairy, that these probiotics would be a problem for you. Then again, I don't know a whole lot about probiotics.

I don't know how long you have been gluten-free, but you might be able to handle dairy at some future time. You could then try the probiotics again some other time when your gut has healed.

MDRB Explorer

Hi,

Are you taking the probiotics in capsule form or are you taking the little drink versions?

I took the little drink things and didn't have any problems with constipation, however I think that they contain dairy.

You could try going off them for a few days to see if your symptoms are relieved, this would at least confirm that the two things are related. If your symptoms are relieved when you stop taking them, you could try reducing the amount you are taking. Maybe take them once a week at first and increasing the amount slowly.

Good Luck

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Probiotics balance the good and the bad bacteria in our guts. They can also be gotten from fermented foods like saurkraut. My naturopath told me to eat that instead of yogurt since I can't do dairy or soy. If you are feeling worse on the pills I would drop them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WhimsiKay Apprentice

Probiotics gave me a noticeable difference after being on them for over a week. The first week was TERRIBLE, but then my body evened out.

I'd say give them a chance, but stay on it for a month.

So much for easy fixes, huh? ;)

Archived