This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Frank's Red Hot?

shacon-bacon

shacon-bacon Apprentice

Ok I swear this sauce has poisoned me and chained me to the toilet. lol sick I know but I swear it must be the sauce...

Can anyone of you wonderfully helpful peeps tell me which one of these ingredients it could have been? Or maybe just maybe I was cross contaminated w/ something else I guess but I really think it was the sauce...

I must be dumb b/c I thought it was safe..

Heres the ingredients

distilled vinegar (which I thought distilled was OK?)

aged cayenne red peppers

water

salt

partially hydrogenated soybean oil

paprika

xanthan gum

sodium benzoate flakes

oleoersin paprika

natural butter flavor (milk)

mono di and triglycerides

guar gum

polysorbate 60

garlic powder

grounda habanero

vitamin e

ascorbyl palimate

citric acid

??? You all know so much more than I. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hollyres Explorer
Ok I swear this sauce has poisoned me and chained me to the toilet. lol sick I know but I swear it must be the sauce...

Can anyone of you wonderfully helpful peeps tell me which one of these ingredients it could have been? Or maybe just maybe I was cross contaminated w/ something else I guess but I really think it was the sauce...

I must be dumb b/c I thought it was safe..

You must have been eating the wing sauce or something--regular Frank's Red Hot is way more basic. I eat the regular Frank's Red Hot every day on rice, deviled eggs, potato chips (w/sour cream), and anything else that will hold it. I am VERY sensitive to gluten, and it hasn't gotten me yet. My suggestion: buy the plain hot sauce and add melted butter and a pinch of sugar and use that as your wing sauce (yes, I am from Buffalo:) Make sure you get your wings crispy first, then pour over the sauce and broil for only a minute. This way, you can stay away from all those weird ingredients. I try to stay away from anything with more than 5 ingredients.

hollyres Explorer
You must have been eating the wing sauce or something--regular Frank's Red Hot is way more basic. I eat the regular Frank's Red Hot every day on rice, deviled eggs, potato chips (w/sour cream), and anything else that will hold it. I am VERY sensitive to gluten, and it hasn't gotten me yet. My suggestion: buy the plain hot sauce and add melted butter and a pinch of sugar and use that as your wing sauce (yes, I am from Buffalo:) Make sure you get your wings crispy first, then pour over the sauce and broil for only a minute. This way, you can stay away from all those weird ingredients. I try to stay away from anything with more than 5 ingredients.

Oops, I see now in the heading that it was the wing sauce.

shacon-bacon Apprentice

Yes it was the wing sauce. I steared clear of the regular hot sauce because the first ingredient listed was vinegar, and I thought vinegar was a no no? unless it was distilled?

I was just pouring it over a piece of grilled chicken and putting it in a salad. I don't know maybe it wasn't the hot sauce but something has sure got me. Ugh. It makes me want to cry.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
Yes it was the wing sauce. I steared clear of the regular hot sauce because the first ingredient listed was vinegar, and I thought vinegar was a no no? unless it was distilled?

I was just pouring it over a piece of grilled chicken and putting it in a salad. I don't know maybe it wasn't the hot sauce but something has sure got me. Ugh. It makes me want to cry.

Hello,

Frank's original red hot sauce is on the gluten free list so the vinegar is distilled. I think with labeling laws they would have to say malt vinegar etc. Like Holly, I add 1/3 cup of melted butter to a 1/2 cup of sauce, makes very yummy buffalo wings!

• 1 year later...
bobbygf Newbie

Q: Are FRANK'S

lovegrov Collaborator

"Vinegar" IS distilled vinegar in the U.S. And as the website says, all of Franks products are gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 years later...
tschooner07 Newbie

I am not diagnosed with celiac disease but I am very sensitive to gluten. One bite of anything containing gluten makes me sick for days on end. From what I found out, you can't trust powdered spices like garlic powder and onion powder because it contains gluten. I have just got glutened last night from eating sweet chili rice crackers because there was garlic powder in it.... I would stay away from Franks Red Hot Sauce because one of the ingredients is garlic powder... It probably contains traces of gluten.

kareng Grand Master

I am not diagnosed with celiac disease but I am very sensitive to gluten. One bite of anything containing gluten makes me sick for days on end. From what I found out, you can't trust powdered spices like garlic powder and onion powder because it contains gluten. I have just got glutened last night from eating sweet chili rice crackers because there was garlic powder in it.... I would stay away from Franks Red Hot Sauce because one of the ingredients is garlic powder... It probably contains traces of gluten.

Please remember that any product info on this thread is 4 years old.  Products change over that time.

As for the garlic or oinion powder - in the Us and Canada and some other countries - if it has wheat added, it will be listed in the ingredients.  The garlic and oinion powder I have is only garlic or onion.  I think that is true for most brands.

Archived