This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Milk Protein Concentrate

Swimmy

Swimmy Rookie

What is the story with milk protein concentrate? I have found it in many products that are labeled "lactose free" but if it contains milk then how can it be lactose free? I have a lactose intolerance and gluten intolerance. I recently purchased some "chocolate milk" ensure drinks that are "lactose free" (along with gluten free) but am wondering how this can be since milk protein is a product. Anyone know? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Lactose is a sugar in milk. You could, theoretically, have only milk protein without the sugar.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - BadHobit posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Help! I have to eat gluten :(

2. - trents replied to Vickey Matteson's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Celiac diagnosis

3. - Lockgirl replied to Caden 12's topic in Gluten-Free Foods, Products, Shopping & Medications

Does anyone know any good gluten free lip balm?

4. - Lockgirl replied to Camorrison56's topic in Gluten-Free Foods, Products, Shopping & Medications

Gluten Free Bread

5. - glucel replied to glucel's topic in Post Diagnosis, Recovery & Treatment of Celiac Disease

abnormal weight loss

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Nielskii
    Newest Member
    Nielskii
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• BadHobit
      I have been living as a celiac suspect since last year. Last year, I went to the doctor as a result of my long-lasting and persistent intestinal problems, and the doctor suspected celiac disease. He said cut out gluten for ten days and come back. I went to the doctor a month and a half later because I was completely healed. He did a celiac test (only IgA) and said you only have gluten intolerance, don't eat gluten. I also lived gluten-free for 7 months, did sports, etc. Then, for a moment, I wanted a pastry and decided to try gluten for a month and get tested. That one month passed in vomit, I got hemorrhoids, my skin dried out/almost crumbled, my mouth was filled with sores and I lost weight, it was terrible! And in this horror, I couldn't be patient and immediately ran for the biopsy. In the biopsy, 2 pieces were taken from my stomach and 1 piece from the small intestine. Diagnosis, ulcer and reflux. And I was sent home with a lot of stomach medicine. I immediately quit gluten. After two weeks I no longer needed any medication. Is it reflux? Vomiting? Come on! I know I dance like crazy. During this process, I came across a celiac patient and he suggested that I extend my gluten-free diet as much as possible and have a full blood test. As a result of 5 months of the gluten-free diet, the very high cholesterol that I have had since childhood, which is called genetic, decreased and triglyceride disappeared. My blood is up and I even have B12 vit. I continued to maintain this beautiful healthy state and had a gluten crash in the seventh month. Red, itchy, huge pimples or something like them appeared symmetrically on my elbows. I'm not sure, but it happened the day after I enjoyed sipping a colorful vodka cocktail. Two weeks later, the blisters on my skin faded, but then they began to appear red, and I was itchy again. When I looked at the packaging of a product I consume, I realized that I had had another gluten accident. This time my IgG test came back positive. The doctor said - this is a different doctor but - start gluten, I have to refer you to gastroenterology. I didn't plan to do that. I live a very healthy lifestyle, but more than one doctor has said that we need to be able to diagnose celiac disease definitively to intervene in possible future diseases. Yeah! I'm prepared to make the sacrifice, so let's make it work. I'm small size, so should I stick to one slice of bread daily for six weeks?     
    • trents
      @Vickey Matteson, cristiana expanded on the point I was trying to make. The term "symptom" has a broader meaning than just physical discomfort. You may feel fine but if a medical disorder is causing lab values to fall out of norm, such as iron or liver enzymes or vitamin D3 or B12 levels or bone/tooth demineralization or if you have developed a secondary medical disorder that is statistically connected to celiac disease such as diabetes or Hashimoto's thyroid . . . those fall into the category of symptoms as well. Celiacs who fomerly put themselves into the category of "silent" will often look back and realize they did have symptoms all along, but not such as they had expected because they were only look for classic GI symptoms.
    • Lockgirl
      I have recently switched a lot of my personal beauty items to Burt's Bees. I believe their products are gluten free, including lip balms.
    • Lockgirl
      I was in love with BFree Baguettes but recently I found Against the Grain Rosemary Baguettes at my local Natural Grocers. I was not sure at first. At this store, it was in the frozen section. Once I got it home and opened, the bread texture looked a little weird. Then I tasted it...Unbelievable! I used to love real sourdough in the old wheat days, and I have to say this is the first gluten-free bread I have had that feels similar to a sourdough. Lightly crunchy outside, soft and chewy inside. This size of this baguette is equivalent to a regular wheat flour baguette. FIVE STARS!!!
    • glucel
      hi @knitty kitty I knew there had to be somebody else that liked liver. Hearing of your weight loss/recovery and seeing another half pound gain this morning helps relieve some of the anxieties associated with celiac disease. I never thought that I would get excited about weight gain.  I am going to add a 100 g thiamine tablet at noon time and will add the Benfotiamine for a few months.