This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rectal Bleeding

Lesliean

Lesliean Apprentice

Feeling totally different (abdominal pain, gas, burping gone) since gluten free 12 days but still have a little bright red blood when go to the bathroom in morning. Have had this off and on for 5 years and 4 years ago the surgeon said not to worry. Come back for scope when 50 (am 48). Does it take more time to heal?

Blood test will be a 6 weeks gluten free. Will it still be positive?

Thank you

Leslie

• 4 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

julie5914 Contributor

I get that sometimes, and it is usally an anal fissure (awful term, I know). They usually come from bouts of constipation and can be very painful because that is a hard place for them to heal and a very sensitive place, obviously. Because it is bright red and on the tissue, it is not a big deal health-wise, but if it is recurring and painful you may want to look into a minor surgery that will fix it.

FaithInScienceToo Contributor

Hello -

One of my many gastro-related symptoms in my past was anal fissures that would not heal no matter what I did...water, fiber, etc...I bled A LOT daily...was very scary...

I was put through all kinds of awful tests...ended up getting two LIS's (lateral internal sphincterotomies) - which is when they cut the sphincter muscle, so it's not as tight...I was told I was 'anatomoically small' when they couldn't figure out why I kept getting IBS, etc...I had to have it done twice, because they try to cut very little at first...

It cured the fissures, but not the gluten-intolerance related problems...

I now, of course, wonder if it was all related to gluten intolerance...and if I'd been tested years ago for celiac, those horid tests, the surgeries and 10 more years of gastro-misery may have been prevented...

Oh, well...

Am just happy to be feeling better with each passing day gluten-free - I hope your going gluten-free will help you heal without having to have surgery -

Best wishes,

Gina

Lesliean Apprentice

After 12 days of a gluten free diet the bleeding in the morning and the soreness went away. The constipation went away on day 1 gluten-free and after four weeks the pain in a spot to the right of my belly button went away. Serology was negative on day 21 of gluten-free diet and was glaidin and transmurase only. The doc said it must be something else. Luckily Enterolab is covered by insurance (although may not cover genetic testing) so I will do that gluten-free for 5 weeks. I know what I have but need answers to motivate my mom and sister to testing as well as my daughter and son. Thanks for your support.

• 12 years later...
himelda Newbie

I have noticed that when I have hidden gluten, like for example gluten in vinegar I also bleed. Its become my alert system. I am anemic and i can't risk it. My doctors say there is no association between bleeding and gluten. But i am sure in my case there is a strong cause and effect. When I bleed I analyze every thing I ate and generally there is something that is the probable cause. I never bleed when I stick to the items i keep at home that I am sure are glutten free.

I have also had all the colonoscopies and related exams. I do not have hemorrhoids and they have never found anything wrong int the diverse tests.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I had some bleeding issues for over a year, mine were related to Ulcerative Colitis (seems to have developed from celiac). But I had it where any kind of sugar or carb, dairy, and a few other things would trigger a flare up and I would get inflammation and bleeding. Like streaks in the stools, dark blotches, and globs of clots.  Was super anemic with iron levels averaging 1-3 even with heavy supplements.   All that time I thought I had bad gut bacteria to the cause of the pain and distention I got.  Never noticed any correlation between it and gluten poisoning but I have been pretty much gluten-free for over 3+ years now.  Supposedly gluten is another trigger for UC flare ups but I am not going to test that.

• 1 year later...
beemerw Rookie

I have been dx’d with gluten sensitivity..it said 99%, no Celiac and Hashimoto’s and I getthe bleeding and soreness from Gluten..I watch, but sometimes I eat Gluten Free prepackaged And it happens..Swelling in the abdomen calmed more, but with that flair, I notice more now that I lost weight..

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived