This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

It Is Too Hot!

Mom23boys

Mom23boys Contributor

It is too hot to bake or do a lot of stovetop cooking during this heat wave. We are tired of chef's salad. What can you suggest?!?!?!? (gluten, casein, nut free)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Tell me about it.........103 for days now....... <_<

Do you have a crockpot? That's saving my life!

jerseyangel Proficient

I was going to suggest a crock pot, too. We had a wicked heat wave here in the Philadelphia area last week, and I used mine a couple of times.

missy'smom Collaborator

We just had hardshell tacos tonight. Minus the cheese for me(I'm CF). My microwave has a convection feature so I heated up the shells in it. Doesn't add the heat to the room that an oven does. Don't really need to heat up the shells though. You said you're sick of salads but how about taco salad. I make what I call McDonalds style salads with breaded chicken breast strips that are deep fried and similar toppings and dressings. I slice up and pan fry uncured hotdogs and have them as is, no bun, sometimes with a little mustard on the side or add a bit of BBQ sauce to the pan when I am frying them. We've been having that with corn and potato salad alot lately. If you don't want the boiling water for the corn heating up the kitchen, you can use the frozen corn and nuke it. How about Vietnamese spring rolls with just rice papers, rice vermicelli, boiled shrimp, chicken, lettuce, basil or mint. We use a sweet chili sauce for dipping, The Ginger People brand. We've been eating handrolled sushi too. Make sticky rice in the rice cooker, take it out and add seasoned rice vinegar(the kind with sugar and salt added). Prepare strips of ham, omlette, cucumber, crab, etc. and tuna mixed with a little mayo or whatever filling you like. Cut sheets of plain nori, put some rice and whatever filling on and wrap up.

Juliebove Rising Star

It's not hot here. We are having the coldest June on record.

One thing I used to make when the weather was hot was sort of a fruit sundae. Start with half of a hollowed out cantaloupe. Fill it with a couple of scoops of cottage cheese, sorbet, ice cream, Coconut Bliss, or whatever else you can eat. I guess you could use yogurt too. Then top it with assorted berries.

The crockpot would be my other suggestion. If you want something hot.

I am lucky in that our Central Market has some gluten-free and allergen free prepared foods we can eat. Tonight I picked up some herbed chicken breasts, herb roasted potatoes, and salad bar.

Hummus would be another suggestion. Serve with raw veggies, gluten-free pretzels, crackers or breadsticks, or even some thick chips. And maybe some olives.

purple Community Regular

Stir fry with or without rice is fast esp. if you use instant rice. Layered bean dip-no cooking and eat it cold with chips. Sherbet made with an alternative milk and fresh pureed fruit in it. A watermelon (my in-laws do that when its hot). Peanut butter(if u can have it), bananas, and apples . Waffles (gluten-free and casein free)with strawberries or whatever. Smoothies. Salsa, guacamole, bean dip-hot/cold, and chips. Chicken salad on whatever. Fruit salads. Scrambled egg sandwich is fast. Grilled tuna made with toasted waffles or just eat it with chips.

mindwiped Rookie

There's actually a blogger out there doing a recipe a day all year, and she's doing it gluten-free, I've gotten some really great ideas from her:

Open Original Shared Link

This is her gluten free bread cooked in the crockpot, but if you look over on the right side, there are links to her other stuff

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sickchick Community Regular

Do you like curry? You could certainly serve this on butter lettuce or in a lettuce wrap:)

Open Original Shared Link

Good luck!

Green12 Enthusiast

I'm thinking chicken salad, tuna salad, egg salad..

Buy a safe rotisserie chicken and take the meat off (or cook up some chicken breasts ahead of time in the mornings when its cooler and freeze, then just thaw them on the day you are going to fix them). Chop up the chicken, toss with gluten-free mayo, and you can add other things like dried cranberries. Serve on gluten free bread or with cantalope slices, very cool and refreshing.

Same with the the tuna.

For the egg sald, boil up the eggs in the morning when it's cooler and keep in the fridge. Later, just peel, dice and toss with mayo, serve on some on the vine tomato halves.

You could do variations on a salad, try a cobb sald, add hard boiled eggs, gluten-free turkey luncheon meet, gluten-free bacon bits.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I would toss hot dogs and baked beans in microwave oven.

Another alternative is to cook in the morning when it is cool and reheat in the evening for dinner.

VioletBlue Contributor

I BBQ a lot in hot weather. I use Kingsford charcoal which is gluten free. I usually do a meat and a veggie on the BBQ. My favorite is long spears of green squash coated in oliver oil and garlic. I also do ears of corn in foil and love how it turns out. When I need to pre-cook something like chicken I do it in the microwave.

Mom23boys Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions. I may even have to try some bread in the crockpot.

imsohungry Collaborator

Good luck to you!

I think it's kind of funny...all of the above suggestions describe last week's dinners at my house.

Crockpot chicken

Taco salad

Tuna salad

and, I'm embarrassed to say, we ate cereal one night.

It was SO hot, and the hubby had worked in the heat all day. So he just wanted something quick and cool to eat. I gotta confess, Cereal is an easy dinner! :)

Stay cool. Happy cooking! -Julie

Nancym Enthusiast

Avocado and salmon salad. I mixed together avocado, salmon, mayonnaise, lemon juice, onion and probably some other thing I can't think of now. It was delicious!

Sometimes I just have half an avocado with mayonnaise.

Back when I ate dairy we had a "summer salad" we would make with cottage cheese, fruit (bananas and pineapple are a must) and peanuts on top, drizzled with a dressing made of mayo and pineapple juice, oh and sprinkle it with paprika. It was one of my favorite things!

Juliebove Rising Star
I BBQ a lot in hot weather. I use Kingsford charcoal which is gluten free. I usually do a meat and a veggie on the BBQ. My favorite is long spears of green squash coated in oliver oil and garlic. I also do ears of corn in foil and love how it turns out. When I need to pre-cook something like chicken I do it in the microwave.

I thought Kingsford was the one that contained gluten?

Never mind. Just did a search and found that it used to contain gluten but now does not.

Archived