This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Coffee

WhimsiKay

WhimsiKay Apprentice

I just had to post about this...

I'm suffering another gluten attack, this one insidiously bad and lasting about 2am to... well, still going. (It's 4am, do you know where your bathroom is?) The only "new" things I introduced today is a different organic brand of coffee and Downy Febreze dryer sheets.

I did a search on coffee and gluten, and I stumbled across a site that claimed that "All coffee is gluten free". That's it. No further explanation beyond a brief bit about what gluten is, and that's all.

I'm so steamed. Research on these forums show that not all coffees are gluten free, as some manufacturers dust their lines with flour to keep the beans going smoothly. Oils can have gluten in them to flavor the beans. My reaction today sure feels like a gluten-reaction -- my "food upsets the tummy" reactions appear to be very different than gluten attacks to me -- so to claim on an answers site flatly that "All coffee is gluten free" is total bunk, and misleading to us poor learning people besides.

Rant rant.

Okay, I won't be better 'til this passes, but I feel a little better now. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

I think they should have said all coffee beans with any added flavoring is gluten free.

whole bean unflavored roasted coffee is gluten-free.

I use natural flavorings like cinnemon stick or dry orange peal ground with the beans.

ken

I just had to post about this...

I'm suffering another gluten attack, this one insidiously bad and lasting about 2am to... well, still going. (It's 4am, do you know where your bathroom is?) The only "new" things I introduced today is a different organic brand of coffee and Downy Febreze dryer sheets.

I did a search on coffee and gluten, and I stumbled across a site that claimed that "All coffee is gluten free". That's it. No further explanation beyond a brief bit about what gluten is, and that's all.

I'm so steamed. Research on these forums show that not all coffees are gluten free, as some manufacturers dust their lines with flour to keep the beans going smoothly. Oils can have gluten in them to flavor the beans. My reaction today sure feels like a gluten-reaction -- my "food upsets the tummy" reactions appear to be very different than gluten attacks to me -- so to claim on an answers site flatly that "All coffee is gluten free" is total bunk, and misleading to us poor learning people besides.

Rant rant.

Okay, I won't be better 'til this passes, but I feel a little better now. ;)

darlindeb25 Collaborator
I think they should have said all coffee beans with any added flavoring is gluten free.

No--sorry, they should have said that all coffee's with any flavorings added MAY CONTAIN GLUTEN!!! You can never be sure with flavorings, unless it's specifically states gluten free. I was glutened by hazelnut coffee years ago. Many of your flavored teas now state they contain gluten!!!

Folgers, Maxwell House, 8 O'Clock, are some of the gluten free brands--I always stay away from flavored coffee's though.

kenlove Rising Star

your right -- all unflavored coffee is gluten-free and all flavored coffee may contain gluten.

in any case they sure need better labeling.

No--sorry, they should have said that all coffee's with any flavorings added MAY CONTAIN GLUTEN!!! You can never be sure with flavorings, unless it's specifically states gluten free. I was glutened by hazelnut coffee years ago. Many of your flavored teas now state they contain gluten!!!

Folgers, Maxwell House, 8 O'Clock, are some of the gluten free brands--I always stay away from flavored coffee's though.

• 1 month later...
DOCKLEARFAN Apprentice

Great points everyone....it's 12:40 am and I got glutened because of FLAVORED coffee. I figured all coffee was good...I was wrong and am paying the price for the last four hours!

Live and learn

lovegrov Collaborator

I have never, ever heard of a coffee manufacturer that uses flour on the lines to keep beans from sticking. If you have evidence of a particular manufacturer that does that, you need to name them up front for us so that we can avoid them. If you don't know of one but just heard this somewhere, please don't pass it along. There are already enough celiac urban legends out there.

In addition, if anybody has found a flavored coffee that they absolutely know has gluten (I'm talking it's in the ingredients or the company has told you so), please, please, please list the specific coffee. Don't just say you got glutened and then not name the product.

BTW, I know there are a few Starbucks coffees that they add stuff to at the shop to make them non-gluten-free, but that's not really the same as just plain coffee.

richard

darlindeb25 Collaborator
I have never, ever heard of a coffee manufacturer that uses flour on the lines to keep beans from sticking. If you have evidence of a particular manufacturer that does that, you need to name them up front for us so that we can avoid them. If you don't know of one but just heard this somewhere, please don't pass it along. There are already enough celiac urban legends out there.
I have read this somewhere before too, right now I can't find a link, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. When we hear something that may be a problem, it's always good to mention it, that way others do know enough to check and make sure what they ARE using doesnt contain gluten. Thank you for the warning Whimsikay!!

In addition, if anybody has found a flavored coffee that they absolutely know has gluten (I'm talking it's in the ingredients or the company has told you so), please, please, please list the specific coffee. Don't just say you got glutened and then not name the product.
I was glutened by Hazelnut Coffee from a Hess Gas Station in Ronkonkoma, NY in September 2002...if you want to research the flavoring they used in 2002, then you see what you can find out. I worked in a Speedway Superamerica and I did read the labels on some of the flavored coffee's and they did contain gluten. But, I will not name the coffee's now simply because that was 4 yrs ago, and they may have changed their ingredients by now.

The fact that there are coffee's out there that may contain gluten, be them flavored or not, is something that we need to watch for, even if we do not have the specific names. That is how we get glutened, by not checking ingredients when someone like you insists on something he actually does not know. I'm glad you have not been glutened by coffee, but that does not mean others of us have not been.

When a company adds flavorings to coffee to enhance the taste, that is where the problems may begin. I have read several flavored tea boxes, such as Twinings, Celestrial Seasonings...they will state on the box if the flavorings contain gluten....which stands to reason, if their flavorings contain gluten, so might flavored coffee's.

Richard, when you can prove to me, beyond a reasonable doubt that all coffee's are gluten free, and not just with your word, back it up with links from the companies, then I will believe you, but not until.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

"I have read this somewhere before too, right now I can't find a link, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. When we hear something that may be a problem, it's always good to mention it, that way others do know enough to check and make sure what they ARE using doesnt contain gluten. Thank you for" the warning Whimsikay!!

Well golly that proves it, Deb. Thanks so much!!!! Especially since you read it SOMEWHERE that proves it. Now please track down a company that does this and tell us specifically which one.

Once again, this is simply a celiac urban legend. CSA spread these types of legends for years, which caused many people with celiac to avoid things they didn't need to stay away from.

"Richard, when you can prove to me, beyond a reasonable doubt that all coffee's are gluten free, and not just with your word, back it up with links from the companies, then I will believe you, but not until. "

Well, gosh, that will be easy to do. Every single coffee in the world? I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

I can tell you that absolutely every coffee I've ever called about or checked has been gluten-free, except a couple of those fancy things at Starbucks that they add chips with barley. This includes every national brand I can think of.

richard

spicenator3000 Apprentice

This is very helpful being I've had symptoms for quite a few days on my usual diet and finally I stopped (reluctantly) the coffee intake...uh hem...and survived.

And the sumptoms stopped! I'm so ticked off that another thing that I enjoy, practically the only packaged thing I enjoy, is now possibly dangerous to me.

ARG

It was a starbucks decaf brand whole bean GROUND by the starbucks machine in the store while I waited, I thought ....I hope they wash out that bean grinder. Wrong.

I think my next option is to go to the Co-op here and buy organic untreated beans and buy a bean grinder and use my french press (because its nice) to make my own coffee.

Also, for flavoring idea: real vanilla bean. Dry it in a flat pan, or fruit dryer, grind into powder and have your own vanilla flavoring safe in a jar. Gluten free.

kenlove Rising Star

I use cinnamon or dried orange peel at times and grind them with the beans. Since I make my own vanilla extract from the beans we grow, I will occasionally add that to the coffee but really like the dried orange peel flavor the best.

You can also oven pan roast your own hazelnuts / filberts or mac nuts and grind those with the beans.

Great coffee is worth the effort!

This is very helpful being I've had symptoms for quite a few days on my usual diet and finally I stopped (reluctantly) the coffee intake...uh hem...and survived.

And the sumptoms stopped! I'm so ticked off that another thing that I enjoy, practically the only packaged thing I enjoy, is now possibly dangerous to me.

ARG

It was a starbucks decaf brand whole bean GROUND by the starbucks machine in the store while I waited, I thought ....I hope they wash out that bean grinder. Wrong.

I think my next option is to go to the Co-op here and buy organic untreated beans and buy a bean grinder and use my french press (because its nice) to make my own coffee.

Also, for flavoring idea: real vanilla bean. Dry it in a flat pan, or fruit dryer, grind into powder and have your own vanilla flavoring safe in a jar. Gluten free.

darlindeb25 Collaborator
I can tell you that absolutely every coffee I've ever called about or checked has been gluten-free, except a couple of those fancy things at Starbucks that they add chips with barley. This includes every national brand I can think of.

Well golly Richard, I guess you can't back your opinion. You want all of us to believe you on your say so, but you tell us to back everything we say with links.

SPICENATOR3000---I have never liked flavored coffee's so that hasn't been a problem for me. The vanilla bean idea is a good one for those who do like flavored coffee's. There was a time when tea seemed to upset my tummy, but it doesn't anymore. Some people can not drink coffee first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Maybe there is too much acid in the coffee for your stomach now. How long have you been gluten free? Maybe once you have healed more, then the coffee won't upset your tummy so much.

I always worry about the coffee grinders in the stores too. I do not use them. I only had a problem once with home brewed coffee, and it was the 8'Oclock brand...I have had it since and it was fine. I also have a bean grinder and sometimes buy the beans.

You have to do whatever you feel is right for you. I swore I would never give my coffee, my peanut butter, or my cheese. I have given up so many foods, but I do still eat my staples! ;)

AMQmom Explorer

I contacted Gevalia about their coffee and did not specify flavored or not. My resonse was that the coffees may contain traces of gluten. Again, I did not ask for clarification of regular vs. flavored. My children are celiac. I am no longer drinking their flavored - just the non-flavored. Can't tell you if it is safe or not because I am not personally celiac. I can tell you that I have had a colectomy and I am senstive to their flavored now (bummer!).

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I have been researching coffee, just to see what I can find.

Open Original Shared Link A very informative link about how we get coffee, I have never read this before. You learn something everyday!

Open Original Shared Link

Beverages

Allowed: Coffee, tea, carbonated drinks, wine made in U.S., rum, some root beer.

Avoid: Ovaltine, malted milk, ale, beer, gin, whiskey, flavored coffee, herbal tea with malted barley.

Van Houtte coffee and gluten

Coffee does not contain gluten. Van Houtte's pure roasted coffee - whole bean and ground - is gluten and casein free.

Gluten can sometimes be found in the artificial flavourings used to make flavoured coffees, but we purchase flavourings that are hypo-allergenic. More specifically, all of the flavouring agents used for our flavoured coffee are tested for about 20 different allergens, including gluten, and all are gluten-free.

All flavourings used at Van Houtte are gluten free. Only our Praline Pecan has a derivative from corn, but it is gluten free.

You must, however, still keep in mind that the flavour houses that Van Houtte does business with must declare the possible presence of gluten containing products or other allergens in their plants and production lines.

We are conscious that even a minute amount of gluten accidentally coming into contact with one of our flavours could have serious consequences. This is why it has been our policy to discourage people who acknowledge gluten sensibility (celiac disease) to consume our flavoured coffees.

Now, we also know that if we are intolerant of corn, some gluten free flavored coffee's can still make us ill. I never thought about there being corn in coffee. Some very informative links!

• 9 years later...
GRANNYJK Newbie

Can you state a coffee / coffee bean that would be safe to use?  WITH NO CROSS CONTAMINATION?

Ennis-TX Grand Master
19 minutes ago, GRANNYJK said:

Can you state a coffee / coffee bean that would be safe to use?  WITH NO CROSS CONTAMINATION?

THIS is a old thread but in referance to your question. Christopher Bean Coffee company, I REALLY suggest the flavored coffees, they are all gluten free, and taste like the desserts they say. I came across this company earlier this year, drilled them in questions, learned the main sales manager has gluten issues in the family even, and I went as far as testing over 20+ versions of flavored coffee from them in a gluten testing kit. ALL SAFE

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, GRANNYJK said:

Probably any coffee bean in a package would be free of cc from gluten. Coffee isn't grown or harvested with wheat. A coffee "factory" would only make coffee.

Archived