This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Boston's North End Now Has gluten-free Options!

BostonCeliac

BostonCeliac Apprentice

Very exciting... I just spoke with the people at Marco on Hanover Street in Boston's North End, and they're now serving gluten free options!!!

They have 3 different kinds of gluten-free pasta, they have gluten-free flour to make fried items (although they warned me that they will use the same fryer, so for some, it may not be an option), AND - if you call at least 24 hours ahead of time, they will have gluten-free bread made!

Hooray! Finally -- a place in the North End for me to eat something other than Risotto (although I still love risotto)....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

munkee41182 Explorer

I think I'm going to have to ask my future husband to take me out to dinner one night........

• 3 weeks later...
BostonCeliac Apprentice

**UPDATE ::

I wanted to let you all know --- I've now been to Marco TWICE, and it was amazing!

They are very aware & well educated on the diet, and they even ask about allergies/food issues when you call to make reservations.

The first time I went I didn't call early enough to get their gluten-free bread -- but i did last time - YUM. They order the ingredients online, and it's REALLY delicious. It's crunchy on the outside, they serve it warm with olive oil & an eggplant/pepper remolata-type thing - y u m.

The serve Glutino pasta (boiled in separate water) with all of their sauces... the Bolognese is excellent.

I also had their risotta because it's just too good to pass up - they do an amazing truffle & mushroom risotto -- and i'm hungry just thinking about it.

they also do all the fried items with gluten-free flours & breadcrumbs! They DO use the same oil though - for those that are sensitive, I've always been OK with that.

We had fried ricotta/mozzarella balls with pomodoro -- and then got the fried zucchini blossoms with warm ricotta inside on an arugala salad! YUUUUUUM again.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!

Gemini Experienced
**UPDATE ::

I wanted to let you all know --- I've now been to Marco TWICE, and it was amazing!

They are very aware & well educated on the diet, and they even ask about allergies/food issues when you call to make reservations.

The first time I went I didn't call early enough to get their gluten-free bread -- but i did last time - YUM. They order the ingredients online, and it's REALLY delicious. It's crunchy on the outside, they serve it warm with olive oil & an eggplant/pepper remolata-type thing - y u m.

The serve Glutino pasta (boiled in separate water) with all of their sauces... the Bolognese is excellent.

I also had their risotta because it's just too good to pass up - they do an amazing truffle & mushroom risotto -- and i'm hungry just thinking about it.

they also do all the fried items with gluten-free flours & breadcrumbs! They DO use the same oil though - for those that are sensitive, I've always been OK with that.

We had fried ricotta/mozzarella balls with pomodoro -- and then got the fried zucchini blossoms with warm ricotta inside on an arugala salad! YUUUUUUM again.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!

It was awfully nice of you to post this as I have not been down Hanover St. since I was diagnosed. It's gonna be tough to pass Mike's Pastry Shop and not go in!

Thank you for the head's up. I will have to try this place.

I would like to mention, though, and I hope you are not offended but it is NEVER good to eat food from a shared fryer, ever. By doing this, you will give the restaurant the wrong impression that this is OK. It is not a question of whether or not a person is sensitive.....every time you do this, you are incurring damage to your intestinal tract, whether you are symptomatic or not. It just seems counterproductive to go out of your way to eat gluten-free and then let your guard down to eat fried food from shared oil. :o

BostonCeliac Apprentice
It was awfully nice of you to post this as I have not been down Hanover St. since I was diagnosed. It's gonna be tough to pass Mike's Pastry Shop and not go in!

Thank you for the head's up. I will have to try this place.

I would like to mention, though, and I hope you are not offended but it is NEVER good to eat food from a shared fryer, ever. By doing this, you will give the restaurant the wrong impression that this is OK. It is not a question of whether or not a person is sensitive.....every time you do this, you are incurring damage to your intestinal tract, whether you are symptomatic or not. It just seems counterproductive to go out of your way to eat gluten-free and then let your guard down to eat fried food from shared oil. :o

Hey Gemini --

It's an excellent point you bring up, and I was actually thinking about it over the weekend. The next time I go I will say something to the staff, although they ARE aware, and mentioned it several times to me.

I found out all of this gluten-free food started with the old general manager (who is no longer there) -- I don't think she had Celiac, but a gluten allergy....

Gemini Experienced
Hey Gemini --

It's an excellent point you bring up, and I was actually thinking about it over the weekend. The next time I go I will say something to the staff, although they ARE aware, and mentioned it several times to me.

I found out all of this gluten-free food started with the old general manager (who is no longer there) -- I don't think she had Celiac, but a gluten allergy....

Glad I was able to get you thinking about it. Not trying to step on anyone's toes but I have had restaurant waitstaff ask me if I was one of those "sensitive" Celiacs who can't tolerate any exposure to gluten, i.e. shared oil, etc. I always have to do my spiel about how there is no such thing as a sensitive Celiac. If you are diagnosed or figure out gluten is a problem through dietary trials, then NO exposure to gluten is how it has to be, as far as what goes in my mouth. There are many people who cheat and they send a bad message to people trying to grasp the art of serving a Celiac in a restaurant. They think the ones that don't cheat are just being anal or something and that's not the case. Having a restaurant in the North End that caters to Celiacs is a Godsend and I want them to get it right so we can go there and pig out without worry! ;)

I was watching the Saturday cooking shows on PBS this past week-end and lo and behold, "Marco" was featured on the show with Todd English. They went into the kitchen and did a Marsala type of chicken dish that looked incredible. I am definitely going there as I really miss my North End dining!

• 2 months later...
Char Apprentice

Just to chime in -- Marco is amazing! I've been there twice now; definitely call there in advance to get the bread. The coolest thing is that their menu seems to change seasonally.

-Char

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mtndog Collaborator

We'll have to go in and convince them to get a separate fryer for us- yahoo! Gluten free pasta in the North End.

Lombardi25 Apprentice

I went about a month ago before a concert at the Bank of America Pavillion and it was phenomonal, I'm actually going back next week before a Celtics game, I love having an excuse to get into the city and eat there now haha. The bread was fantastic too, which is rare in my experiences thus far. If anyone ever goes searching for it just a word of advice, look closely for it. I ended up walking through the ENTIRE North End to only find out I had passed it about 30 minutes before haha. It's right on Hanover St. but there's only a really small sign that hangs off the side of the building and the restaurant is upstairs above an Italian cafe, so it's really easy to miss.

• 3 weeks later...
BostonCeliac Apprentice

Just thought I'd write again....

I've been there about 8 times since I wrote that first post - I LOVE IT!!! They really do know what they're doing there & the entire staff knows all about celiac. They all had to go through a training...

an UPDATE --- they may be doing a Gluten Free cooking class in the new year!!! I will post again if it happens, but the owner said he'd really like to try it -- they may even teach us how to roll our own gluten-free pasta (they don't do this yet, but are hoping to eventually)...

That bread is to die for!!

• 2 months later...
PinkLady Newbie
Very exciting... I just spoke with the people at Marco on Hanover Street in Boston's North End, and they're now serving gluten free options!!!

They have 3 different kinds of gluten-free pasta, they have gluten-free flour to make fried items (although they warned me that they will use the same fryer, so for some, it may not be an option), AND - if you call at least 24 hours ahead of time, they will have gluten-free bread made!

Hooray! Finally -- a place in the North End for me to eat something other than Risotto (although I still love risotto)....

Hi,

thanks for the heads up...I have just been dx/ last week and live on the North shore of Boston...do you know of any people interested in a support group

perahps between Boston and North Shore along Rte. 1?

Thanks.

:Pink Lady

BostonCeliac Apprentice
Hi,

thanks for the heads up...I have just been dx/ last week and live on the North shore of Boston...do you know of any people interested in a support group

perahps between Boston and North Shore along Rte. 1?

Thanks.

:Pink Lady

You might want to check out Meetup.com? I think there was one in Brookline for a while. There may be a North Shore one - or you could start it. Good luck!! There are a lot of options on the North Shore!

silk Contributor

Oh how I envy you people. My family and I visited Boston about 1 1/2 years ago over the week of the 4th of July and absolutely fell in love with your city. I would love to come back. We stayed for 8 days and it was not nearly enough time. We visited before I was diagnosed so I was able to experience all of the wonderful foods you have to offer. One of the saddest realizations that I had after being diagnosed was knowing that I would never again be able to eat a lobster roll or enjoy the Clam Chowder (so buttery and delicious) at the Union Oyster House. And all of the great places to eat at in Fennuil(SP) Hall. And I think we visited Mike's Pastry shop and got the best cannolli I have ever had.

So it is really great to know that when we return again for a visit that there is a restaurant that actually serves gluten free food. When I was first diagnosed I thought traveling would never be an option for me again but I have done so a few times now and can always manage to find place that offers gluten free options.

Thanks again for the information.

Archived