This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are The Hot Teas At Pf Changs Gluten Free?

hippiegirl2001

hippiegirl2001 Newbie

I posted this earlier in an established "what do you eat when you go to PF Changs" topic but I think it needs to be on its own.

I love to eat at PFChangs but I recently became aware that I need to find out if flavored teas are gluten free. PF Changs has maybe 6 hot teas listed on their regular menu, but actually No drinks are listed on the gluten-free menu so the omission didn't necessarily mean that the teas were not gluten-free. Anyway, here is the reply I received from Revolution tea, via PF Changs:

On 2008-08-19 P.F. Chang's China Bistro wrote:

Hi Patty,

I contact Revolution and here is what they said...

"Additionally, Accuracy of "gluten-free" labels

The "Codex Alimentarius" set of international standards for food labeling has a standard relating to the labeling of products as "gluten free", however this standard does not apply to "foods which in their normal form do not contain gluten".[7]

In the United States, gluten may not be listed on the labels of certain foods because the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has classified gluten as GRAS (Generally recognized as safe).[8] Requirements for proper labeling are being formulated by the USDA. It is currently up to the manufacturers of "gluten free" food items to guarantee such a claim. "A final rule that defines the term gluten-free and identifies the criteria that would enable the food industry to use that term" is scheduled to be released by the FDA on August 2nd, 2008 [9]. Many so-called gluten free products have been found to have been contaminated with gluten (such as Pamela's cookies [10], etc.).

The actual statement,

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

amybeth Enthusiast

I've had the sweet ginger peach decaf with no reaction. =)

hippiegirl2001 Newbie
I've had the sweet ginger peach decaf with no reaction. =)

Hi Amy,

That was my favorite too! I would love to continue to have it but I would also love to know that it is indeed safe. I wrote back to PF Changs again since I posted, still no reply. I guess unless they are able to tell me that the manufacturers told them that they do not add gluten ingredients it is better for me to stay away.

elonwy Enthusiast

You could ask revolution yourself, might get a faster answer.

Open Original Shared Link

hippiegirl2001 Newbie
You could ask revolution yourself, might get a faster answer.

Open Original Shared Link

Thank you for the link! When I went to the Revolution Tea website I couldn't find any way to contact them. I've now sent my question and will post the answer when received.

I don't think PF Changs plans to reply.

hippiegirl2001 Newbie
Thank you for the link! When I went to the Revolution Tea website I couldn't find any way to contact them. I've now sent my question and will post the answer when received.

I don't think PF Changs plans to reply.

I received my answer, no thanks to PF Changs.

None of our products contain any gluten or gluten products.

Linda Breckner

Customer Service

Revolution Tea

5120 W. Buckeye Road

Ste 5

Phoenix, AZ 85043

1-602-393-3737

1-888-321-4738

Fax: 1-602 393-3559

lbreckner@revolutiontea.com

Archived