This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How To Handle A Trip To The Salon?

ohsotired

ohsotired Enthusiast

So I'm way overdue for a haircut, and have been thinking about calling to set up an appointment.

BUT, how do you approach your stylist about hair products that are used in the salon?

Do you call them up and say "I'm bringing my own" or do you actually investigate the products that they use there in the salon?

I've almost got this itchy scalp thing under control (after switching shampoo/conditioner yet again and not using styling products for over two weeks!) and I would hate to see if we could trigger it again by putting a product in my hair that contains some form of wheat.

I'm still not certain whether my itchy scalp is/was DH, but I sure don't want to see if I can create a reaction on purpose........

Thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

I would bring my own and explain why. I actually have talked in depth about Celiac with my stylist and she is now gluten free. She said she has had stomach problems her entire life and going gluten free has helped her a lot. As we were talking about it the last time I was in, the lady next to us joined in the conversation saying she has wheat allergies and so do all of her kids. It's a great opportunity to raise awareness.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast
So I'm way overdue for a haircut, and have been thinking about calling to set up an appointment.

BUT, how do you approach your stylist about hair products that are used in the salon?

Do you call them up and say "I'm bringing my own" or do you actually investigate the products that they use there in the salon?

I've almost got this itchy scalp thing under control (after switching shampoo/conditioner yet again and not using styling products for over two weeks!) and I would hate to see if we could trigger it again by putting a product in my hair that contains some form of wheat.

I'm still not certain whether my itchy scalp is/was DH, but I sure don't want to see if I can create a reaction on purpose........

Thoughts?

I have a contact allergy with wheat and don't really care to use any products with gluten so this is definitely a problem for me. My stylist happens to have celiac disease so she understands completely. I wash my hair before I leave the house and have them rinse it at the salon so they can cut it. Before I found this stylist I would just bring my own shampoo and explain.

ohsotired Enthusiast

Great advice, ladies! :)

I've only been to my new stylist once, and it was right after I had my initial blood draw for all my testing, so we did talk about it some.

She had told me that if a particular product didn't work out for me, then I should just bring it back and she would either exchange or refund my money........so I'm pretty sure she'll understand where I'm coming from.

I'll be sure to call and talk to her first, rather than just bringing in my own stuff and surprising her. ;)

Thanks again!

Crystal Brown Rookie

I used to work in a salon, as the receptionist and here are the key things to ask about:

1. The shampoo and conditioner (that's a given - hehe)

2. The hairspray

3. The shine spray

4. The straightening product (if they need to use that)

5. Or the hold gel, scrunching stuff (technical term.. oh yea)

So basically, the shampoo, conditioner and styling agents.

Pureology is a big NO NO.

I remember having to switch the shampoo and conditioner into the big bottles at the back sink.. My hands would BURN.

Redken - check the label.

Paul Mitchell - Depends on the product. Straightening serum is okay.

Just ask to see the bottles they use - the bottles will generally say wheat right on the back in the ingredients.

You CAN bring your own shampoo and conditioner, but that doesn't do any good if they use styling products that contain wheat.

I hope this helps :)

ohsotired Enthusiast

Zella,

Thanks so much for chiming in! You've given some good advice!

I was sort of thinking I'd just avoid styling products (at the salon) altogether, at least for now. Since I usually get a razor cut, I end up having to go home and either rinse my hair or completely shower anyway, to get all the bits of hair off me. LOL

I'm still on the hunt for styling products that don't make me itchy, and I'll bet if I explain all this to my stylist she'd be totally understanding.

hermitgirl Contributor

First off being a Professional Stylist and newly diagnosed Celiac has been a definate learning experience. When in doubt, ALWAYS contact the product company. They are more than willing to help, and they have the answers available to them. Most companies list a phone number on their packaging. This is what I have learned in the last 24 hours. Paul Mitchell The Color is Wheat and Gluten Free. This is the most current list that was emailed to me yesterday of all acceptable Paul Mitchell products:

May 10, 2008

Shampoos:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Crystal Brown Rookie

I second what Hermitgirl said about the receptionist. I knew information because I HAD to or else I would be sick for DAYS... Most receptionists are clueless. Ask your stylist or the company directly.

First off being a Professional Stylist and newly diagnosed Celiac has been a definate learning experience. When in doubt, ALWAYS contact the product company. They are more than willing to help, and they have the answers available to them. Most companies list a phone number on their packaging. This is what I have learned in the last 24 hours. Paul Mitchell The Color is Wheat and Gluten Free. This is the most current list that was emailed to me yesterday of all acceptable Paul Mitchell products:

May 10, 2008

Shampoos:

ohsotired Enthusiast

Thanks hermitgirl! You are totally right about the receptionist being the one who needs (or is) in the know.

I will have a chat with both the receptionist, and my stylist (who also happens to be the owner of the salon) before we do anything.

Archived