This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Positive Iga/ttg But gluten-free For Six Years?!

frec

frec Contributor

I don't get it. I just had more blood tests to try to figure out ongoing joint and muscle problems. My new gastro did a routine IgA/tTG test. I ended up slightly positive (24--over 19 is possible celiac). I am so meticulous about checking everything, and most of my food is meat, nuts, vegetables, and fruit that I prepare or have nothing added. I haven't been glutened since late June; I haven't eaten out since mid-August. I double checked my supplements.

Two questions--where I am I getting gluten? Any guesses? And does it matter if I am slightly elevated? Is that enough to cause inflammation? I wouldn't worry about it but I am trying so hard to find an explanation for my fibromyalgia. I'll ask the gastro, but you all have the real life experience. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If I am telling you stuff you already know please bear with me.

Have you checked all toiletries? Shampoos, makeup, lotions etc. If your significant other is female have they checked their makeup, lipsticks etc?

Do you have a pet that eats gluten food? If so switch them to gluten free.

Do you work with stuff like drywall, art supplies, glues, clays etc? All need to be gluten free.

Do you consume gluten grain derived alcohols or vinegars? Some of us are fine with them but many are not. If you are cut them out for a bit and see if that makes a difference. If you have a Wegmans they label their condiments without gluten grain vinegar with the circle G, pickles, ketsup etc with that label are safe.

I do agree with you that with your fibro still active the elevation should not be ignored. One other thing to consider- have you virtually replaced gluten with soy? I did and after a bit my joint and muscle pain returned. I then had to eliminate soy and for me that did the trick.

frec Contributor

Oh my gosh. I just had my bathroom remodeled. It was finished two weeks ago. Drywall can have gluten? Really? Maybe it isn't my food. Thanks.

fedora Enthusiast

are you sure the nuts aren't dusted with flour or processed on shared equipment.

yes, drywall compound can have gluten. so unfair. Do you wear latex gloves for anything? Any gluten in your house?

Pain in Amanda Newbie

What about Claussen pickles? Anyone know if the vinager is gluten-free? Thank you in advance. Just went gluten-free yesterday and craving pickle juice. Not sure if it's a gluten craving or malnourished sodium levels. I use to eat so many as a child my nick name was Pickles but the craving went away as I got older, now 30+ years later I want pickles again.

Thanks for any information.

ang1e0251 Contributor
What about Claussen pickles? Anyone know if the vinager is gluten-free? Thank you in advance. Just went gluten-free yesterday and craving pickle juice. Not sure if it's a gluten craving or malnourished sodium levels. I use to eat so many as a child my nick name was Pickles but the craving went away as I got older, now 30+ years later I want pickles again.

Thanks for any information.

Can you provide the ingrediant list from your pickles, please?

frec Contributor
are you sure the nuts aren't dusted with flour or processed on shared equipment.

yes, drywall compound can have gluten. so unfair. Do you wear latex gloves for anything? Any gluten in your house?

My house is OK (except the walls, evidently!)--I'm single, so that simplifies CC. Do latex gloves have gluten? I wear gloves to prevent allergic reactions to soaps and cleaners, etc. Latex itself isn't a problem.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
My house is OK (except the walls, evidently!)--I'm single, so that simplifies CC. Do latex gloves have gluten? I wear gloves to prevent allergic reactions to soaps and cleaners, etc. Latex itself isn't a problem.

Those gloves are fine as long as they are not powdered. Most powdered will also be okay but it is better to be safe than sorry. I use latex free disposables that are medical or food service quality. I find them in the drugstore, usually near the diabetic supplies. The box will say powder free on it.

frec Contributor

Wow. I am grateful for all this information but I am EXTREMELY angry. I spend my life reading labels, shopping for obscure products, skipping food at parties, starving when I travel, cooking from scratch, reading websites and I AM STILL GETTING DAMAGED BY GLUTEN?!!!

On a more positive note, thank goodness for the people on this forum.

fedora Enthusiast

let us know how you are doing....

I found out about powdered gloves on here because I went to the dentist. I checked all their ingredients, but still had a horrible few days. I read on here that the powder on gloves can sometimes be from flour. Now they use unpowdered nonlatex(latex is not a problem for me either) gloves at the dentist. At home I use non powdered ones too. The hygienist at my dentist said that even though the latex ones there say they are unpowdered she still feels something on them so we use the non latex ones instead cause she says they feel totally powder free.

good luck...I hope your shoulder gets better. I started seeing a physical therapist and that has helped my back alot.

beachbel Apprentice

It is good you are finding other things to check for gluten. I like you am still testing positive on blood work after almost 2 years of being gluten free and being very meticulous. My GI doc did an endoscope and found I still had mild celiac sprue so they are treating me with a steroid to heal up my intestines. My GI encouraged me to still be meticulous about everything, but some people have refractory celiac disease like me and need more careful monitoring. You might talk to your GI about having an endoscope just to be on the safe side. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
wcc84 Newbie

If I am telling you stuff you already know please bear with me.

Have you checked all toiletries? Shampoos, makeup, lotions etc. If your significant other is female have they checked their makeup, lipsticks etc?

Do you have a pet that eats gluten food? If so switch them to gluten free.

Do you work with stuff like drywall, art supplies, glues, clays etc? All need to be gluten free.

Unless you are eating the pet food and drywall none of these things should make a difference. Gluten can not be absorbed through your skin. Some people have issues with gluten in shampoo and soap because there can be trace amounts left on your skin after rinsing. Because of this you may ingest trace amounts on your hands or lips.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Unless you are eating the pet food and drywall none of these things should make a difference. Gluten can not be absorbed through your skin. Some people have issues with gluten in shampoo and soap because there can be trace amounts left on your skin after rinsing. Because of this you may ingest trace amounts on your hands or lips.

Except that your pets lick you all over and drywall and drywall joint compound make a whoooooole lot of dust (trust me on this one) and then you breathe it in. And then you swallow your snot and bammo.

gfpaperdoll Rookie

About drywall, I would just like to say that I am in a class where there is major construction going on & the drywall dust & paint fumes are everywhere. I take a hepa airfilter & I still get sick...

The first class was the worst for dust & I was sitting there trying to pay attention while I had the nauceous "heaves" for the first hour.

I am not eating the drywall, but obviously I am breathing it in & it is making me sick. Not only that when I walk out of there, everything that I am carrying & me has drywall dust all over it. So now it is on my car seats, on my purse where I put it on the couch, on my books and papers... If I get in the car & forget & have some nuts using the hands that have touched a now contaminated steering wheel & seats - I am going to get a little CC...

I also cannot be around flour dust. If anyone is cooking with flour, I do not go in their house.

I do not know about anyone else's sinuses but mine are draining down my throat into my stomach.

Archived