This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hashmitos And Celiac

needtobebetter

needtobebetter Apprentice

Hi,

I was just wondering if with celiac does it cause thyroid problems? And when i go on teh celiac diet will it cure my low thyroid??

Sorry if stupid question

Thank you

Mandy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Hi Mandy,

It's not stupid. Hashimotos and Graves disease is common with Celiac. They are also autoimmune diseases. Some people do recover thyroid function after their intestines heal and their bodies finally heal as a whole. Others have to remain on thyroid medication for life.

It doesnt hurt to hope and believe you can heal. I hope you can.

Shay

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Just wanted to add one little point...

I've also read that it's possible to heal an autoimmune thyroid problem with a gluten-free diet, but it depends on how much your thyroid has been damaged.

Casein (the protein in cow's milk) can be a problem for people with autoimmune thyroid disorders too... and other foods. Gluten is a GREAT place to start, but your situation might be more complicated.

needtobebetter Apprentice

thank you xxxxxxxxx

No problem! I'm still learning too :blink:

My husband was also confused. (He's 49, but has been blessed with nearly perfect health. I don't even remember the last time he had a cold.) He said, "I noticed you've been taking a lot of medicine for the last couple of months." "Yeah, thyroid medication plus a few supplements." "Well when are you going to be done with that?" I pointed out that it will be a few YEARS before I know how much benefit the Gluten-free Casein-free diet will have on my thyroid... I might be taking medication the rest of my life because it regulates so many important functions (metabolism, heart rate, blood pressure, reproductive hormones...). It depends on how much my thyroid has been damaged.

My husband: "Oh. I thought it was just temporary." :ph34r:

ShayFL Enthusiast

Just tell him if you dont take your Thyroid meds and you have low thyroid, it will reduce your libido and if severe enough it will be non-existent. He will make sure you take your meds everyday. :P

Just tell him if you dont take your Thyroid meds and you have low thyroid, it will reduce your libido and if severe enough it will be non-existent. He will make sure you take your meds everyday. :P

I'll do that! :lol: :lol:

My libido HAS been pretty low. I have an appointment with a new GYN in April (she's supposed to be really good) and I'm planning to talk to her about it if things haven't improved.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kimis Collaborator

It's funny..I was just doing some research on hypothyroidism. I plan to have it checked ASAP! I have been working out like crazy and eating like a bird and still gaining weight...along with the other symptoms I'm sure there is a problem.

ShayFL Enthusiast

kimis

Go here first:

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

And learn BEFORE you go to the doctor. That way they cannot dupe you. Make sure the lab they use has the newest TSH ranges.

Nancym Enthusiast

I read somewhere that 30% of people who go gluten free will have remission from thyroid disease. Pretty nice if it is true! I know that thyroid diseases often do go into remission anyway, but it sounded like being gluten-free made that number higher.

I read somewhere that 30% of people who go gluten free will have remission from thyroid disease. Pretty nice if it is true! I know that thyroid diseases often do go into remission anyway, but it sounded like being gluten-free made that number higher.

I've read about hypERthyroidism going into remission... and postpartum thyroiditis... how about autoimmune hypOthyroidism? I'd love to read an article about a gluten-free connection if one turns up. :)

kimis Collaborator
kimis

Go here first:

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

And learn BEFORE you go to the doctor. That way they cannot dupe you. Make sure the lab they use has the newest TSH ranges.

thank you for the site....it was alarming! I can't help but think that when my immune system stopped focusing on my guts (shortly after I started the diet) it started picking other spots of my body to attack! Two months after the diet change I developed a headache that wouldn't go away no matter what I took. I accepted the fact that all the doctors couldn't find anything (besides a binign pituitary tumor that needed no further attn) wrong and I would just live with this constant ache. After that I started with the allergies and asthma (never had them before). All the sudden I was 13 pounds heavier ,my feet started hurting bad (maybe from the new girth that I now call my fat ass) and depressed to say the least! The not so funny thing is I am afraid what will happen next. I considered going off the diet for a while just to see if things calm down (btw...I never had common celiac symptoms...just high liver enzymes) I hate hearing how wonderful people feel after starting the diet...good for you I feel like poop!!!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

My Synthroid needed to be increased every few months for the two years before I was diagnosed with gluten problems.

Once I went off gluten, the opposite happened---my Synthroid needed to be REDUCED every few months.

I did stabilize at about half the highest dosage. The reason I had needed more and more and more was that I wasn't properly absorbing the Synthroid.

I do wonder if one of the reasons many people do better on the Armour is that it is much more quickly and easily absorbed? Now that I am gluten-free, I do fine on Synthroid.

Live2BWell Enthusiast

I hope so :P

Archived