This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Canned Mushrooms - What Gives?

006 Apprentice

If you go to some Wal-marts, you'll find the GV brand mushrooms warning that they're processed in a facility that also processes wheat. Yet, at a Wal-Mart in the midwest, I found that they are labled gluten-free. If you go to Wegmans (the leader in gluten-free labeling), ALL their canned vegatables are labled gluten-free EXCEPT the mushrooms. I ask the following:

1. What's the deal with canned mushrooms or mushrooms in general?

2. Should I trust the canned mushrooms despite the absence of a gluten-free declaration?

3. Anyone have a "reaction" or no "reaction" story to share with canned mushrooms (particularly Wal-Mart's)?

Can anyone enlighten me on this, please? You can't make Daddy's Famous Spicy North American Super Tasty Burrito Salad without the mushrooms....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Would "Daddy's Famous Spicy North American Super Tasty Burrito Salad" not be the same with fresh mushrooms? I bet if you sauteed them in a little olive oil you would never know the difference. :P

My guess is that the canned mushrooms are packed in "vegetable" broth containing wheat and lots of salt. Otherwise, canned mushrooms would have very little flavor.

happygirl Collaborator

If it was packed in broth that contained wheat, by FDA labeling law, it would be required to be listed.

Right.

I do wonder though... how closely do manufacturers really follow the law? What are the penalties for breaking it? I know companies overseas (in China, for example) are supposed to comply with US labelling regulations, but there's not much oversight at the borders. <_<

hez Enthusiast

I use canned mushrooms once in awhile. I have never had a problem. I always check the label. The ones I use just have mushrooms, water and salt.

Hez

dilettantesteph Collaborator
If you go to some Wal-marts, you'll find the GV brand mushrooms warning that they're processed in a facility that also processes wheat. Yet, at a Wal-Mart in the midwest, I found that they are labled gluten-free. If you go to Wegmans (the leader in gluten-free labeling), ALL their canned vegatables are labled gluten-free EXCEPT the mushrooms. I ask the following:

1. What's the deal with canned mushrooms or mushrooms in general?

2. Should I trust the canned mushrooms despite the absence of a gluten-free declaration?

3. Anyone have a "reaction" or no "reaction" story to share with canned mushrooms (particularly Wal-Mart's)?

Can anyone enlighten me on this, please? You can't make Daddy's Famous Spicy North American Super Tasty Burrito Salad without the mushrooms....

Hey, another Wegmans shopper! I just read this morning that straw can be used when growing mushrooms. Maybe that's why.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
Hey, another Wegmans shopper! I just read this morning that straw can be used when growing mushrooms. Maybe that's why.

That is the only place I shop! before the store we have opened up I would drive up to an hour to shop there!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ang1e0251 Contributor

I have never reacted to canned mushrooms but I think we definately need the recipe to this famous dish so we can all "test" it to determine its safety!!

Juliebove Rising Star

I buy canned mushrooms occasionally. I believe the brand is usually Festival. We don't use a lot of them. Mostly I use fresh or dried mushrooms because I think they taste better. I got a huge canister of dried ones at Costco. I hope they still have some because I need more!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
If it was packed in broth that contained wheat, by FDA labeling law, it would be required to be listed.

Yes but if the broth had barley it would not be required.

lovegrov Collaborator

Call the company that makes the product and ask.

But I agree on the fresh mushrooms. Much better.

richard

006 Apprentice

I think I figured it out.

First; there's no broth; just mushrooms, water and salt as someone above noted. I noted that the Walmart mushrooms can be made in different countries. The ones made in Vietnam and China are labeled gluten-free. I bet you anything it's because they are grown on farms that do not also grow wheat. Not much wheat in Asia; lots of harmless rice! When I get back home, I'm going to look at the labels that do not say gluten-free and see where they came from.

Anyone else have some insight on canned mushrooms containing only water and salt? It's got to be a farm thing.

Not much wheat in Asia; lots of harmless rice!

Actually, that's only true in southern China and southeast Asia. In northern China people eat a lot of wheat.

You could be right, however, that the company can't guarantee gluten-free from all suppliers. There could be cross-contamination from other products.

Archived