This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Question For The Experienced

katebuggie28

katebuggie28 Apprentice

I have been gluten free since May 17, 2008. I I have not eaten ANYTHING with gluten or anything that might contain gluten. I think I have accepted it well, but I need red meat. I can't stand it any more. I have eaten turkey, chicken,fruits, veggies etc.. until they are coming out of my ears. I used to always do wel with meat, until I was really sick from celiac. I tried meat 3 weeks after,and I was sooooo sick/ It has been 6 months. Should I try it again? Im afraid because it hurts so bad. Any tips? I need a steak or a real hamburger lol Hlp me! BTW I finally had real milk (with chex rice cereal) I had no big d for the first time in years. Does that mean that meat is soon to come? :) I'd like to think so!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Your tummy might not be producing enough HCL (Hydrochloric Acid) to digest meat. You can supplement if the steak bothers you to see if that helps. But you may be just fine.

I was vegan then vegetarian for about 7 years. Till a Chinese doctor told me I needed to eat red meat. I went and bought a steak and ate it that night with no problems (when it used to kill me). So it might be smooth sailing for you too. :)

lizard00 Enthusiast

I think red meat in general is harder to digest. For a while, I avoided it. I still don't overdo it, but it's definitely easier for me to digest these days.

Could be you just needed some very simple foods for a while. Give it a try.

GlutenWrangler Contributor

Try a very small amount of red meat, and see what happens. If you can tolerate it, gradually increase it until you are eating a normal full serving. If you can't tolerate it, just give it time. As your body continues to heal, you'll eventually be able to eat it. But it is a good sign that you are tolerating milk. If you continue having a problem with red meat down the road, you might want to look into taking an HCL supplement like Shay suggested. Always chack with your doctor first though. Good luck,

-Brian

cat3883 Explorer

Be careful of what you put on your steak. I eat mine naked! A good cut of beef doesnt really need marinated. Alot of marinades contain gluten.

mellajane Explorer

Girl there is nothing like a yummy cheeseburger.... a nice ribeye do not neglect yourself any longer..just whatch any seasonings chances are you were glutening yourself. Red meat does take awhile to digest just eat a little at a time..Good Luck

Archived