This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does This Sound Like I Was Glutened?

imagine22

imagine22 Contributor

I have been gluten-free for 2yrs and I don't think I've been glutened before (or I didnt notice :)) I eat out regularly but Im usually really careful. [if relevant ... before being finding out I had celiac disease and going gluten free I was nearly asymptomatic - no gastro symptoms!]

I got hot chips from a shop I dont usually go to yesterday and I ate them at 12:30pm and at 3:00pm I had awful nausea and vomited at 3:30pm and had nausea all afternoon. no other symptoms.

I forgot to check if it was chicken salt or normal salt they put on them and have since found out it was chicken salt and therefore likely contained a small amount of gluten. (I checked that the fryer was only used for chips - they had a separate fryer for other things so it wasn't that).

Im just surprised that such a small amount of gluten can make me that sick! I dont think its food poisoning as 5 other people ate the same thing and no one else got sick at all.

can small amounts of gluten in a bit of chicken salt really make me vomit?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Where are you from? I've never heard of chicken salt.

richard

imagine22 Contributor

Australia :) didn't realise it was only common in Aust & NZ (though I think it was common when I lived in UK too...)

INGREDIENTS COMMONLY ARE: Salt, dairy solids, rice flour, hydrolysed vegetable protein (soy and corn), wheat starch, yeast extract, chicken fat, sugar, vegetable powders, hydrolysed corn/wheat/soy protein, corn syrup, monosodium gluramate (E0621), herbs spices and/or extracts, tricalcium phosphate (E341iii), Vegetable oil - soy bean (refined), disodium isonate (E0631), disodium guanylate (E0627), benzyl alcohol, butylated hydr anisole (E0320), Citric Acid (E0330).

Wikipedia:

"Seasoned salt is a flavoured blend of table salt composed of herbs, spices, other flavourings, and sometimes monosodium glutamate (MSG). It is widely sold in supermarkets and is commonly used in fish and chip shops and other take-away food shops. It is known by many other names, including seasoning salt, season salt, and, in Australia and New Zealand, chicken salt.

Seasoned salt is often the standard seasoning on foods such as chicken, hot potato chips, and deep fried seafood. Most take-away shops also offer the option of "normal salt".

Chicken salt, as sold in Australia and New Zealand, generally contains chicken extracts, which are listed as the second ingredient after salt. It is therefore not suitable for strict vegetarians. However, some flavoured salts sold as chicken salt do not contain chicken extracts or concentrates. It is not related to the chicken flavouring or seasoning that is found on potato crisps, although it can be similar in appearance (both have a slight yellow colouring)."

mushroom Proficient

Yuuk!! Chicken salt = poison. Thanks for the heads up.

Takala Enthusiast

I think you mean french fried (deep fat fried) potatoes ? The oil used for frying could have been contaminated by breading containing wheat, used on other things that were fried in the same fryer, in addition to the "chicken salt."

Also, the potatoes, unless sliced up there and made of actual potatoes, who knows what could be on them if they come pre frozen- not all frozen potato french fry or chip type products are gluten free.

Chicken salt- learn something new every day. :blink:

Juliebove Rising Star

That chicken salt sounds vile! Why would they even make such a thing?

Amber M Explorer
Australia :) didn't realise it was only common in Aust & NZ (though I think it was common when I lived in UK too...)

INGREDIENTS COMMONLY ARE: Salt, dairy solids, rice flour, hydrolysed vegetable protein (soy and corn), wheat starch, yeast extract, chicken fat, sugar, vegetable powders, hydrolysed corn/wheat/soy protein, corn syrup, monosodium gluramate (E0621), herbs spices and/or extracts, tricalcium phosphate (E341iii), Vegetable oil - soy bean (refined), disodium isonate (E0631), disodium guanylate (E0627), benzyl alcohol, butylated hydr anisole (E0320), Citric Acid (E0330).

Wikipedia:

If I ate that chicken salt with those ingredients, I would have to be hospitalized.. When in doubt, go without!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 months later...
noucha Apprentice

I am frm aus and althpugh I knw the place I get my chips frm aren't using chicken salt and the fryer is only for chips

I am wondering what else got me glutened?x

GFinDC Veteran

Wikipedia:

Well, I just can't imagine any of these ingredients making a robot sick! Kidding. Sounds like you are eating at the back end of a chemical factory!

Yes, wheat protein has gluten and can make a celiac sick. Even small amounts can cause a reaction. You might be well off to avoid the corn syrup, citric acid and benzoate also, as they may contain mercury per recent research.

Chicken salt, chicken yuck! :-(

Archived