This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Add/adhd Medication

minton

minton Contributor

I am a senior in high school in a work at your own pace school. I have been on various ADD meds for 2 years after struggling a year in school with no luck. I turned 19 over the thanksgiving holidays and since that birthday my prescription insurance will not authorize my refills of my ADD meds. They say it needs a prior authorization from my doctor, which he has given at least once a week since this problem started. Then they said that they don't cover ADD meds once you are over 18. As if ADD magically disappears when you turn 19!!!!!

My mom is calling the insurance commisioner today to report our insurance company. But in the meantime, I'm suffering. I should have graduated December 2008, right before the winter break. But here I sit in school, still not getting any work done. The teachers have noticed it too. I went from a motivated on schedule student to a lagging, disruptive, and distracted student. I have failed the last 4 quizes simply because I couldn't concentrate on the study materials. And in the last few weeks, I have stopped turning work in completely. At this rate I won't graduate until I'm 21! (a ridiculous feat given that I literally am THREE units (maximum 3 weeks of work) away from my diploma. I have fought this battle for two months now and am getting very depressed. I used to pride myself on being such a wonderful student and now I'm thinking of giving up and dropping out.

I have typed up a letter (it took me 3 days to do so) to the insurance company and the teachers are willing to sign it. Is there anything else I can do?

*~*This is not the first drug they have refused to fill. When claritin (I'm allergic to it) became over the counter, they began refusing to fill my zyrtec and singulair scripts. 10 days after running out of both, I was so badly covered in hives that my mom took me to the pharmicist. They took PICTURES and sent it to the insurance company. It took them 2 weeks after receiving the pictures to approve my scripts. I'm afraid my hives terrified the poor pharmicist. After zyrtec went over the counter, I went through HELL to get singulair. I have finally given up (last time I waited 6 months for a refill that, 1 year later, is still not approved). I now take zyrtec only and sniffle all day. During spring and fall I add benedryl and pray the hives don't take over my whole body.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I am a senior in high school in a work at your own pace school. I have been on various ADD meds for 2 years after struggling a year in school with no luck. I turned 19 over the thanksgiving holidays and since that birthday my prescription insurance will not authorize my refills of my ADD meds. They say it needs a prior authorization from my doctor, which he has given at least once a week since this problem started. Then they said that they don't cover ADD meds once you are over 18. As if ADD magically disappears when you turn 19!!!!!

My mom is calling the insurance commisioner today to report our insurance company. But in the meantime, I'm suffering. I should have graduated December 2008, right before the winter break. But here I sit in school, still not getting any work done. The teachers have noticed it too. I went from a motivated on schedule student to a lagging, disruptive, and distracted student. I have failed the last 4 quizes simply because I couldn't concentrate on the study materials. And in the last few weeks, I have stopped turning work in completely. At this rate I won't graduate until I'm 21! (a ridiculous feat given that I literally am THREE units (maximum 3 weeks of work) away from my diploma. I have fought this battle for two months now and am getting very depressed. I used to pride myself on being such a wonderful student and now I'm thinking of giving up and dropping out.

I have typed up a letter (it took me 3 days to do so) to the insurance company and the teachers are willing to sign it. Is there anything else I can do?

*~*This is not the first drug they have refused to fill. When claritin (I'm allergic to it) became over the counter, they began refusing to fill my zyrtec and singulair scripts. 10 days after running out of both, I was so badly covered in hives that my mom took me to the pharmicist. They took PICTURES and sent it to the insurance company. It took them 2 weeks after receiving the pictures to approve my scripts. I'm afraid my hives terrified the poor pharmicist. After zyrtec went over the counter, I went through HELL to get singulair. I have finally given up (last time I waited 6 months for a refill that, 1 year later, is still not approved). I now take zyrtec only and sniffle all day. During spring and fall I add benedryl and pray the hives don't take over my whole body.

Contact the drug companies that make those scripts directly. Many have programs for reduced cost or free meds when folks need them.

minton Contributor

Well, after a letter from my teachers, numerous phone calls from my mom and my doctor, and my own personal complaints, the insurance backed down. I am covered for my meds!!!!! And, the pharmacy gave us a 5 day script until everything was settled (they did this last week), and today I finished one of my classes!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thank Goodness. I am glad you were able to work something out.

ang1e0251 Contributor

Congratulations!! Both on winning the insurance game and completing your class. I look forward to your posting your upcoming graduation.

lucy-Q Newbie

I'm curious... are you on a gluten free diet? As I have been absorbing everything I can about gluten sensitivity and Celiac, a lot of people experience a "brain fog" lift when they go gluten-free... just wondering what you think?

lucy-Q Newbie

minton,

Sorry, I'm new to the panels and couldn't figure out how to reply to your "IM" that popped up. Thanks for the reply.

I'll give you this piece of advice too... if you like :-) College will be much easier than high school... because in college you get to pick a major and take classes in what you're interested in. Working on something that interests you is the best way to ensure your ability to concentrate. Us "ADDers" tend to fluctuate between not being able to focus and hyperfocusing. So finding something you enjoy to study next will be key to your future schooling success!

Also... if you can help it - AVOID the "work at your own" pace options. ADDers are notorious for procrastinating and are highly motivated by deadlines. So find an environment where you have deadlines to motivate you. Really truly... it will help.

And... back to the health insurance issue... if you can stay a full time student (by going to college) you will likely be able to stay on your parents' health insurance. Most companies will allow you to be covered up through the age of 24 if you are a student and your parents are providing more than 50% of your living costs. Which means you can continue to get your ADD meds covered (trust me you don't want to pay for those out of pocket!).

Ravenwood suggested "Contact the drug companies that make those scripts directly. Many have programs for reduced cost or free meds when folks need them." This is true for many drugs but NOT true for most ADD meds. Except for Strattera, ADD meds are all controlled substances and the drug companies do not give "freebies" due to the restrictions on distribution. They do occasionally offer rebates though, which you can find on their web sites.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived