This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wheat Germ Oil In A Gluten Free Product?

MELINE

MELINE Enthusiast

Hi all

I just bought that supplement that has Wheat germ oil in the ingredients, yet says it is gluten free.

I googled wheat germ oil and I found that it is a no no

???????

Meline

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mtndog Collaborator

That is BIZARRE. What brand?

GFLisa Newbie

Is it Floradix? Someone told me it was gluten-free and I was taking it for awhile. Eventually a friend pointed out to me that it had wheat germ oil.

MELINE Enthusiast

Tha brand is QUEST. I don't know if it is american or english....I don't even know if you have it there.....Here it is very popular....I've already e-mailed them and I am waiting for an answer...

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Tha brand is QUEST. I don't know if it is american or english....I don't even know if you have it there.....Here it is very popular....I've already e-mailed them and I am waiting for an answer...

I bet they are going to tell you that since it is oil and not the protein you can take it. Don't do it! Return it to the place you got it from or give it to someone who is not celiac.

MELINE Enthusiast
I bet they are going to tell you that since it is oil and not the protein you can take it. Don't do it! Return it to the place you got it from or give it to someone who is not celiac.

I guess that is what I am going to do....I read that it something we must not consume.....

I am proud of my self!!! I read the labels even if the product says gluten free!!!! lol....... :D

MELINE Enthusiast

Here is their answer

"The vitamin E is gluten free, the gluten is removed from the wheat germ oil during the extraction process. "

Best regards

Erica

Erica Young MMedSci

Nutritionist

Tel: +44121 3590056

Fax: +44121 3590313

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I guess that is what I am going to do....I read that it something we must not consume.....

I am proud of my self!!! I read the labels even if the product says gluten free!!!! lol....... :D

You should be proud of yourself. As I noticed from your other post below their response was as I expected.

jerseyangel Proficient

Good catch, Meline!

I wouldn't touch it! ;)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Nathan delaforce
    Newest Member
    Nathan delaforce
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Jean Shifrin
      Hello, I am 67 and newly diagnosed, although I've probably had Celiac for many years. I did have digestive issues years ago, but went gluten-free for many years and my gut improved greatly and I slowly introduced gluten back into my diet. A few years ago I started have severe knee swelling in my arthritic knee. I have tried many treatments,  including a total knee replacement - but the severe swelling continued and I realized it was directly related to eating. Almost anything I ate caused severe swelling and pain. I tested positive for Celiac and am wondering if anyone else here has joint swelling symptoms from Celiac. Fortunately I am not currently dealing with digestive issues, but the knee issue is life-altering. I am a very active person and have had to be mostly sedentary for the last 2 years. I have been prescribed a low-dose of Prednisone, which helps the swelling a lot, but it is not ideal to stay on Prednisone long-term. I'm terrified to eat out or go to social events that always revolve around food. Has anyone else here had joint swelling issues with Celiac. If so, do you have any advice? Thank you.
    • cristiana
      @SoBannaz Have you ever been offered any sort of topical treatment for your skin? I occasionally have issues with my skin and during one of the lockdowns in the UK the itching was driving me up the wall - it was in my scalp, on my chest, shoulders, across the stomach.  I was really stressed and worried about it.  At his request, I sent a photo to my GP.  He happens to have a special interest in dermatology, and he came back with the diagnosis that I had eczema.  I was quite skeptical as when I think of eczema, I think of children with it on their elbows, knees and hands.  Also, I never had it as a child. He told me to buy something called Adex Gel which is an emollient cream with an added anti-inflammatory, and also prescribed me Betnovate cream, a steroid cream.  I was to take a bath in the morning, then put on the gel, then 20 minutes the Betnovate cream, thinly.  Then apply the creams again before bed, in the same order.   As I say, I was skeptical, but it was an absolute game changer.   At the time I was eating a lot of almonds and I think that could have been the cause.  At the moment I have it, too, this time it could be because I've been eating a lot of pure oats.  I think I can tolerate a small amount but can't over do it.   Or it could be our new washing powder, and I've been using a lot of hand gel because I've been trying not to give the family COVID - without success, as it happens!  It's hard to tie down the cause sometimes. My gastroenterologist says to me that coeliacs can suffer from itchy skin, not related to dermatitis herpetiformis.   I must be one of them. I am interested to read that you get relief from hot water.  I have to say that I find hot water actually may feel good at the time, but it can dry the skin and make things worse. Cristiana          
    • celiacchild16
      Does anyone know if Cracker Barrel Cheese Cubes are safe for celiac disease? The only allergen listed on the label is milk, but I don't know if they are processed in a facility that contains wheat or not. Thanks!!
    • knitty kitty
      @SoBannaz, You said your skin looks like you've been burned.  Is it just red or do you have plaques and scales?  Blisters?  Does it get worse in the sun?
    • Scott Adams
      If you have DH you will likely also want to avoid iodine, which is common in seafoods and dairy products, as it can exacerbate symptoms in some people. This article may also be helpful as it offers various ways to relieve the itch: