This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Disease And Candida Connection

GlutenGuy36

GlutenGuy36 Contributor

How would I know if I had Candida as well as Celiac disease? I asked my gastro doctor to test me for it and he just shook his head no and said it cannot be. I would think that someone that has a weakened intestinal situation would make them a prime candidate for testing. Especially knowing that I have Celiac Disease and I don't feel much better since being diagnosed. ( July 14th of 2008)

I still have random body aches and pains, lots of belching after I eat, extreme ehaustion. I have been on the Celiac Diet for almost 6 1/2 months. I know I had a few accidently glutenings.

I have read that Candida can produce alot of the same symptoms of Celiac because of the protein in the yeast is similar to the one that is in gluten. I could try to cut out sugar and starches but what would there be left for me to eat?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Make certain that you are 100% gluten free first, and then explore. Many people here have other food intolerance's. Have you tried an elimination diet?

YoloGx Rookie
How would I know if I had Candida as well as Celiac disease? I asked my gastro doctor to test me for it and he just shook his head no and said it cannot be. I would think that someone that has a weakened intestinal situation would make them a prime candidate for testing. Especially knowing that I have Celiac Disease and I don't feel much better since being diagnosed. ( July 14th of 2008)

I still have random body aches and pains, lots of belching after I eat, extreme ehaustion. I have been on the Celiac Diet for almost 6 1/2 months. I know I had a few accidently glutenings.

I have read that Candida can produce alot of the same symptoms of Celiac because of the protein in the yeast is similar to the one that is in gluten. I could try to cut out sugar and starches but what would there be left for me to eat?

Whether one has true testable candida overgrowth or not, you may still have a problem with it or some other fungal situation. One way to check is to look at your tongue. Is it white and gucky in the morning?

If you do decide to go off sugar(s), there are some slow to digest starches out there. Oddly enough yams and sweet potatoes are a couple. Other root vegetables and some squash are good too. Just avoid potatoes--which are high on the glycemic chart. And then of course there are lots of vegetables. Its usually good to eat meat in moderation. Avoid meats that have been processed or aged by the way... Avoid fruit at first and later just have one fruit a day if it turns out you do have this problem... also for now avoid grains. Later on introduce things like washed cooked quinoa and brown rice, teff, amaranth etc. But always in moderation...

The deal is is that if you go off the sugars and reduce your easily digestible carbs and you start getting antsy and irritable or worse and have huge cravings for sugar etc. then its a pretty good sign you do have candida or fungal overgrowth. If so you should take things that help kill off the candida. I have found enterically coated acidophilus and enterically coated garlic are very effective. Oregano oil caps are good too. etc.

No matter what, if you eat a simple diet like this and then gradually introduce other items you may find that you are sensitized to a variety of foods. Keep a journal. Take your pulse. See how you feel. If you eliminate the various offenders eventually you may be able to re-introduce some of them. Maybe not as something you can eat every day, but perhaps once or twice a week. But for now you may need to avoid certain other foods as the other respondent suggested.

The reason for this is that its often the case that celiac makes it so undigested proteins go into the blood stream and then the body attacks them like they are foreign invaders, often creating or mimicking an allergic response. And then the body sometimes "remembers" that response even when you are no longer eating gluten...!!

Taking some digestive enzymes like bromelain/papain and pancreatic enzymes usually helps plus the enterically coated acidophilus, which seems to help out the villi as well as the digestion. I have found marshmallow root and slippery elm reduce intestinal inflammation which then helps you feel better faster.

Hope this helps!

Bea

RiceGuy Collaborator

Good advice thus far. In my own experience, I got tremendous results with caprylic acid capsules. The initial die-off can be tough, so take it slow. Start with one capsule daily, and work up to the label recommendations.

But, as was suggested, if gluten is still sneaking in somewhere, it would also explain how you feel.

Archived