This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chicken

heatherjane

heatherjane Contributor

I just happened to notice that the raw chicken breasts I've been buying out of the meat case at the store (usually Tysons, but sometimes store-brand) are "minimally processed" with broth and "natural flavors". Does anyone know if this should be a concern? Is all fresh poultry prepared this way?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

no, not all plain chicken is min.processed. I buy only natural organic chicken, nothing else added. When you get into to big processing companies like Tyson, Perdue & others they sometimes add ...if you have never had a free range chicken to eat do your self a favor & get one. The taste is so good & different from Tyson & others. You can tell the difference but of course they do cost more... hth

mamaw

TearzaRose Explorer

Just yesterday I had rotisserie chicken from the local grocery store, and pretty sure that it's the culprit to my symptoms today. Could it have been the seasonings?

NorthernElf Enthusiast

I used to eat those lovely roast chickens from Extra Foods (Superstore) all the time...but now they make me ill. :( Man, I miss those yummy chickens...

happygirl Collaborator
I just happened to notice that the raw chicken breasts I've been buying out of the meat case at the store (usually Tysons, but sometimes store-brand) are "minimally processed" with broth and "natural flavors". Does anyone know if this should be a concern? Is all fresh poultry prepared this way?

It is gluten free.

Just yesterday I had rotisserie chicken from the local grocery store, and pretty sure that it's the culprit to my symptoms today. Could it have been the seasonings?

Yes, unless you have verified that it is gluten free.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

When chicken has broth added it is not uncommon for barley to be used as a flavoring agent. You should always verify that it is gluten free. As mentioned whole unprocessed chicken is safe. It's what's in the added broth that can get you.

caek-is-a-lie Explorer

Foster Farms is good. They don't inject or coat with anything. Costco sells giant bags of frozen Foster Farms chicken. The Safeway brand is just coated in salt water. Those are ok too.

I avoid anything coated or injected with broth after getting sick from eating our Thanksgiving turkey. If they're not going to disclose what's in the broth on the label, they don't get my money. When they decide to let me in on their 'little secret' (ie, ingredients) that might change. This means I do not buy frozen chicken from Fred Meyer because they don't sell any plain brothless frozen chicken there. Making endless product phone calls to corporations is just so tiring sometimes. <_< I mean, it's just chicken! Why should it have gluten? Chickens don't make gluten. And why the secrecy about the broth? All ingredients on all food packages should be fully disclosed. Period. The logic these companies use is beyond me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

"When chicken has broth added it is not uncommon for barley to be used as a flavoring agent. You should always verify that it is gluten free. As mentioned whole unprocessed chicken is safe. It's what's in the added broth that can get you."

In fact , it is uncommon, at least in the U.S.. I can't name one in the U.S. that does this. Can you? AND, as you've undoubtedly read here before, the USDA REQUIRES that any grain added to meat like this be clearly listed in the ingredients. Just read the label.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
"When chicken has broth added it is not uncommon for barley to be used as a flavoring agent. You should always verify that it is gluten free. As mentioned whole unprocessed chicken is safe. It's what's in the added broth that can get you."

In fact , it is uncommon, at least in the U.S.. I can't name one in the U.S. that does this. Can you? AND, as you've undoubtedly read here before, the USDA REQUIRES that any grain added to meat like this be clearly listed in the ingredients. Just read the label.

And as you have undoubtedly read here before, barley malt when used as a flavoring agent can be listed under just natural flavors and not disclosed. When grain is added as a FILLER it has to be declared but not when it is malted and used in small amounts as a flavoring.

lovegrov Collaborator

"{And as you have undoubtedly read here before, barley malt when used as a flavoring agent can be listed under just natural flavors and not disclosed."

Please provide evidence this is truew for raw meats

richard.

Archived