This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten, Lactose And Sugar Free Cooking.

wilem008

wilem008 Contributor

After going gluten and lactose free, im still not 100%

Its been suggested that I try and cut refined sugar from my diet.

The problem is, I lOVE sweets...cakes, biscuits, chocolate, slices etc...Im a dessert person!

Does anyone have any yummy recipes that are gluten, lactose and sugar free?

Or even sugar free recipes that can be adapted to gluten and lactose free aswell?

Thanks!! :-)

Wilem

ADD - Currently - I avoid ALL gluten and the dairy I avoid includes Milk (I use lacotse free milk or soy milk), Yoghurt, cheese, sour cream, cream etc. I finding very hard to give up cheese!

Im still eating eggs but only in cooking.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

Sure!

Avoiding refined sugars is easy. I've been doing that even before going gluten-free. I also don't do any dairy or eggs, but I make tasty treats all the time. My first suggestion is to get some Stevia. I recommend the pure powder which has nothing else added. Most brands have fillers and stuff, to bulk it up so it measures like sugar, and to hide an aftertaste. The powder has less aftertaste than the liquid ones IMO. I don't notice any aftertaste with the one I use, but you should try a few brands to find the one you like best. But keep in mind that the pure powder does not measure like sugar. It is intensely sweet, thus very little is required compared to sugar. Think of it like using a spice - you only need a fraction of a teaspoon for most things. For example, I use just 1/2 tsp to sweeten an entire pie. It can lend an unpleasant taste if you put too much.

I think it's fairly easy to adjust a recipe to use Stevia in place of sugar. Just remember that sugar is a bulky sweetener, and it absorbs water. It also makes things sticky, and melts when heated. Stevia does none of these things to any appreciable degree. So you may need to compensate for the difference in bulk, and somewhat for the difference in texture. However, the texture is often different when it comes to recipes which call for a lot of sugar, and I know of no way to easily and economically compensate for that.

Cookies are easy to make with Stevia, though again the texture is going to be different for many recipes. I get good results for soft/spongy type cookies. The tricky ones are those which are supposed to be crispy/chewy. Just today I made a really yummy batch of cookies, with an idea I sorta made up as I went along. I plan on posting the recipe once I refine it a bit more, but it was sorta like a cross between fig newtons and macaroons. Yum!!

I generally use water for the liquid of a recipe, and sometimes there will be oil, depending on what I'm making of course. If you like coconut milk, it can work in place of cow's milk in many recipes. Fruit adds flavor, and obviously sweetness, and fruit juice works well in a lot of things too. Just make sure it's really 100% juice, not flavored sugar-water. Since I never measure, and I don't follow recipes, I don't have any specific recipes to suggest. But if you post or PM a recipe, I'm sure I can offer some ideas to convert it.

BTW, do you avoid all dairy, or just lactose?

purple Community Regular

I'm not sure if I can help but can you sub honey or agave nectar for the sugar? Karina has great recipes, her apple cinnamon muffins use agave nectar. P. B. Banana cake uses honey and stevia. Pumpkin Raisin cake takes agave nectar and maple syrup. You might want to check them out and see if you can make a goody!

Open Original Shared Link

found this stevia conversion chart

This site might be yummy to you, she uses agave nectar and healthier ingredients:

How about banana nut waffles and top them with fruit?

I use 1 1/2 cups almond, soy or rice milk. I make them with agave nectar but you could use pure maple syrup or honey. We all love them. I made them with huckleberries, black caps and mini chocolate chips too.

found this one today if you can have honey:

Flourless coconutty fruit cookies

Archived