This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Are 'nightshades'?

wilem008

wilem008 Contributor

When people talk about not being able to eat 'nightshades' - what types of foods are they referring to?

________________________________________________________________________________

Im starting to think I might have a problem with tomatoes...

I already have a problem with a lot of other fruit - apples, pears, grapes etc all give me terrible stomach pain....

Last night I made gluten free Spaghetti Bol....I felt so terrible afterwards! I dont know if it was the small amount of cheese I had on top or if it was something else...eg the tomato...I guess all I can do it make Spag Bol next week and have NO cheese - if I still feel ill, then I know its something else....

Does anyone else have a problem with fruits and vegies? Ive heard people can be fructose intolerent?!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mtndog Collaborator

Nightshades include peppers, potatoes, eggplants, tobacco. Open Original Shared Link

They seem to cause inflammation in some people. Some doctors recommend that people with arthritis stay away from them. I know there are several people on this board that have problems with them.

People can be fructose intolerant too. I *think* you can get tested for it by your GI just like you can for lactose. I did the lactose breath test.

mushroom Proficient
When people talk about not being able to eat 'nightshades' - what types of foods are they referring to?

________________________________________________________________________________

Im starting to think I might have a problem with tomatoes...

I already have a problem with a lot of other fruit - apples, pears, grapes etc all give me terrible stomach pain....

Last night I made gluten free Spaghetti Bol....I felt so terrible afterwards! I dont know if it was the small amount of cheese I had on top or if it was something else...eg the tomato...I guess all I can do it make Spag Bol next week and have NO cheese - if I still feel ill, then I know its something else....

Does anyone else have a problem with fruits and vegies? Ive heard people can be fructose intolerent?!

Nightshades are the family of plants that grow at night. Jimson weed is probably the most infamous, but the tomato is probably the most common, except for the potato. Then there are the peppers (except for black pepper) and eggplant. My favourite dish USED to be ratatouille :angry: I am one of them what has had to give 'em up. And it is hard, almost as hard as gluten, corn and soy, because do you have any idea how many dishes have tomatoes in them? Life is not nearly as saucy as it used to be :rolleyes:

purple Community Regular

I recently read on a pdf about nightshades...included was huckleberries. The link just posted said wolf berries, that means goji berries. Remember potato starch.

Here is another list:

Open Original Shared Link

wilem008 Contributor

Yes, I'll be most disspointed if I cant have tomatoes...goodbye sauces....I guess I could do up creamy pasta dishes but they still have to be lactose free!

Hmm. Im not sure about potatoes....i dont think I have any problem with them, but I dont eat them all that often - they're too high in carbs and starch.

Experimenting with my diet - I think that all I can do....

doodle Rookie

I have problems with the nightshade family of foods. Potatoes and tomatoes are the worst for me.

If I eat either of them 2 days in a row I will become sooooo tired I can hardly function. I don't know why they have that effect but they do. The rest of the family seems to affect me as well but those 2 are the worst!

doodle

RiceGuy Collaborator
Life is not nearly as saucy as it used to be :rolleyes:

Recently, I made a sauce based on the same idea used in the Open Original Shared Link products. I can honestly say, that had I not made it myself, I would have thought for sure it was tomato! It not only produces a very tomato-red sauce, but it smalls and tastes like tomato sauce too. However, when I simmered the sauce, the orange color of the carrots began to show through, so I'd suggest starting with a blend that is a little on the purple side. I posted about the lasagna I made with it here.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beanpot Apprentice

I also have trouble with nightshades - mostly peppers and eggplant which double me over in pain. I can eat white potatoes sparingly, and I still eat tomatoes but for how long who knows.

Thanks for the "nomato" information.

These food intolerances sure do force people to be creative! :)

mushroom Proficient
Recently, I made a sauce based on the same idea used in the Open Original Shared Link products. I can honestly say, that had I not made it myself, I would have thought for sure it was tomato! It not only produces a very tomato-red sauce, but it smalls and tastes like tomato sauce too. However, when I simmered the sauce, the orange color of the carrots began to show through, so I'd suggest starting with a blend that is a little on the purple side. I posted about the lasagna I made with it here.

I have copied and filed your nomato information and one of these days will try it, now thst I have adjusted to being tomato free . Thanks again.

RiceGuy Collaborator

For those who can't have potatoes, I'd suggest taro root. It has essentially the same white starchy inside, only slightly sweeter, with a hint of what some describe as water chestnut. It can be used in all the same ways as potato, including baked, fried, mashed, etc. I think it is more flavorful than potato, and makes the crispiest chips I've ever had!

The outside looks a little weird, and I don't suggest eating the skin. Inside it is both whiter and firmer than potato. From what I've read, it has oxalate crystals, which may irritate the skin. So it's probably a good idea to handle it with gloves when it's raw. Cooking destroys the crystals. Apparently, sweet potatoes are the same way.

I'm guessing most markets carry the white taro, which is also referred to as dry land taro. Wet land taro is supposed to look very different inside, often dark purple. Both have been used to make traditional Hawaiian poi. Don't buy a soft taro. It should feel firm, with no discolored or soft spots.

Archived