This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Milk, Buttermilk, Butter...what's Your Sub?

SUZIN

SUZIN Newbie

I can't use dairy...and what I've been doing is just use water for milk...for buttermilk I've tried using water and adding about 1 Tab. of vinegar....for butter I've been using olive oil in a lesser amount, I'm also trying lard.....If you can't use dairy...what do you use...I'd like a better sub....any ideas?...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

I like coconut oil in place of butter, margarine, etc. It is solid at room temperature, like butter, but melts easier. You can blend in some salt if you like. Coconut milk works in place of milk, as does rice milk, almond milk, and so forth. Earth Balance has a natural stick margarine, with no trans fats or hydrogenation, though it does have canola, which I've read somewhere may not be well tolerated by a certain percentage of Celiacs. I know I can't eat it.

Takala Enthusiast

I use yogurt (this does not solve your problem, just mentioning it for the people trying to avoid lactose instead of all dairy) and/or nut milks and coconut milks. For example, maybe hemp milk mixed with coconut milk and water, with a bit of vinegar added, or some yogurt whey mixed in- whatever I have open in the refrigerator, blended. Coconut milk, once opened, is so thick it can be thinned a bit with something else and may need to be warmed up a little.

I use olive oil mostly for butter, even in cake. I have been doing this for so long I scarcely notice. If baking for something to be taken somewhere, I might use organic butter instead, but not often. Olive oil can be used half with coconut oil.

purple Community Regular

For my dd...

Butter- earth balance margarine, light olive oil or spectrum shortening (depending on the recipe) sometimes part applesauce.

Buttermilk- 1 T. ACV or lemon juice in a 1 cup measuring cup and fill with soy milk, let sit 8-10 minutes.

Milk- almond, rice or soy (she likes soy best for drinking)

Popcorn popped in lots of coconut oil, no need for butter

Fry/saute foods in coconut oil, veg oil, olive oil, peanut oil or water

Open Original Shared Link

scroll down to fats

N.Justine Newbie
I can't use dairy...and what I've been doing is just use water for milk...for buttermilk I've tried using water and adding about 1 Tab. of vinegar....for butter I've been using olive oil in a lesser amount, I'm also trying lard.....If you can't use dairy...what do you use...I'd like a better sub....any ideas?...

water will not do as a sub for buttermilk -- as I am sure you have realized

and proper substitutions depend on the recipe but:

buttermilk: Sour your alternative milk by substituting 1 Tablespoon of every cup of

missy'smom Collaborator

plain soy yogurt works well as a buttermilk substitute-don't add vinegar-but do add a bit of water or "milk" of your choice to thin it, if desired if the new plain coconut yogurts are not too sweet, they would work as well

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I also do the lemon juice in rice or hemp milk. I usually add a little oil to get the fat content up. I like Jungle Shortening for a butter sub in baking. It's similar to Spectrum. McCormick makes imitation butter flavoring that is gfdf so you could add a little to get the butter flavor.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular
I also do the lemon juice in rice or hemp milk. I usually add a little oil to get the fat content up. I like Jungle Shortening for a butter sub in baking. It's similar to Spectrum. McCormick makes imitation butter flavoring that is gfdf so you could add a little to get the butter flavor.

I was wondering about what to use for butter flavoring, I didn't know there was an imitation. That would work nicely when using shortening. Karina says to use butter flavoring, if not an issue. Thanks for the info.

SUZIN Newbie

Thank you everyone....I got some really good ideas to try!!...sorry I didn't mention earlier that I can't eat soy either

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice
Thank you everyone....I got some really good ideas to try!!...sorry I didn't mention earlier that I can't eat soy either

Hello,

This has been difficult for me. I'm allergic to dairy and soy and am finding that I don't tolerate corn or canola well. So I'm using coconut and almond milks and this weird recipe that was suppose to be mayo (olive oil, egg, lemon juice) as butter. The "mayo" is very creamy and yellow but melts at room temperature. It makes a baked potato look buttered! I wasn't happy with the taste of olive oil at first but it was like wearing a watch, I don't notice it anymore. I've started experimenting with jello and thick-it was suggested to me by a chef to make "puddings", sauces and gravies.

Hope this was helpful,

OptimisticMom42

I just looked up the thick it. It's made from corn starch and maltodextrin so I probably won't be brave enough to try it. It is gluten, dairy and soy free though and can be used to thicken cold liquids.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

As with another post, for ME, clarified butter works and doesn't give me the GI symptoms that unclarified does. It removes the proteins and lactose. I make my own (commercial is very expensive)and store it in a glass jar that doesn't need to be refrigerated. I haven't baked with it yet but use it on my toast, stir fry recipes etc. I am very sensitive to dairy and I can handle this but everyone is different.

Archived