This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going To A Cook Out

Crystalkd

Crystalkd Contributor

I'm going to my first cook out since going gluten-free almost two years ago. I'm a little scared. I'm not sure how big its going to be and I can't afford to buy my own grill before hand. I knnow some people use foil. Does it work? What works well in foil. I want to feel some what normal in this situation only one of these people really knows what I go through when I decide to eat out. I'm looking forward to this cook out and really trying to put my fear aside. It's hard.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wonka Apprentice

You could do a foil package with sliced potatoes, vegies of choice (zucchini, carrots, peppers, onion are good choices), s&p, and what ever fish you like (halibut or sablefish/blackcod would be excellent). Or you could do them all in separate foil pouches if you don't like your food mixed together.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

Foil is reliable. To be safe, maybe double wrap it incase the tongs have sharp edges.

The first time I used foil, I messed up and set the neat little cooked package on my plate full of "safe" food. Oops, the bottom of the foil is contaminated. You will need to get 2 plates. One to set the foil on while you open it and another to set the meat/veggies on that you remove from the foil package. Oh! if you triple wrap it, you could just take the inside layer and set it directly on your plate if the meal inside is crumbly or saucy.

Have fun. This one is doable. Just bring all your own food and maybe a bit of water for hand washing, and you will be perfect.

Crystalkd Contributor

Thank you for the responces. I'm tired of sitting in the house and not going out for cook outs and such. What about cook out staples like hamburgers, hot dogs, steaks, ect

Juliebove Rising Star

I made a meal in foil that my daughter and husband liked, but I found it a bit boring. Each packet had a cube steak and a potato that had been thinly sliced and drizzled with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.

At Girl Scout Camp, we made campfire stew over the grill. It was simply a potato, stalk of celery, carrot, small onion all cut up and mixed with some ground beef. Again, season with salt and pepper and seal in foil.

As a child, I made potatoes on the grill by slicing them thicky, then putting a bit of butter, salt and pepepr between the slices. Wrap in foil and grill until soft.

Wonka Apprentice
Thank you for the responces. I'm tired of sitting in the house and not going out for cook outs and such. What about cook out staples like hamburgers, hot dogs, steaks, ect

You can still cook them on foil, just don't close it up and seal it or you will steam the food. Just my opinion but I don't think hamburgers or steaks are very good steamed, the hotdog would be OK though, not the same as grilled but OK.

Crystalkd Contributor

Thanks guys. I'm trying to come up with a shopping list. I'm excited even though I'm still scared. Since going gluten-free my reactions are getting worse.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 weeks later...
WednesdayGirl Newbie

Crystal...

Hi. Hope your cookout went well...those kinds of events can be scarey for me, also. I never know what to bring, and if I should risk taking the word of the cook. Can u believe my mom still tries to sneak adding flour, by me. She thinks a little won't hurt. I keep waiting for the day that awareness is raised enough with Celiac Disease...that people take it more seriously. Until then, like you, I must continue to play it safe...by bringing my own items to picnics and gatherings.

Wishing you the best,

Jamie

Archived