This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice Krispies

Guest andy_uk

Guest andy_uk

Are rice krispies suitable for celiacs as it says on the ingredients contains barley malt flavouring and on some sites it says it is allowed but on others it says it isnt the reason i ask is because i had a rather large bowl of these and am now suffering with diarrhea yes graphic i know sorry but i want to work out if it was that or something else that caused it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Rice Krispies are not ok for us. They contain barley malt and are a definite no for us. Hope you feel better :D

One cereal we can have are cocoa and fruity pebbles...they are manufactured by Post which is a branch of Kraft foods so they will not hide anything.

Guest andy_uk

oops i automatically presumed rice krispies aka rice doh bloody keloggs i really cant get used to this at all it is hard

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

How long have you been on a gluten free diet? I know it can be hard at first since it is a tough adjustment and your not sure what you can have or not have but it gets easier...if you need any help just email me or something and I can help you out

Guest andy_uk

i have only just started i was ill for around 7 weeks constantly having major diarrhea etc so i just ate potatoes and chicken as that seemed to stop it then when i told the doctor this he said i had done the right thing and that i was halfway there to finding out what was wrong as it seemed to be food related he then suggested to try not eating gluten and wheat to see if that helped the situation and he ordered some bloods to be done since i have stopped having it i have been fine and felt 100% ok until i ate these and the symptoms returned he did however say after so long to try having something with it in to see if it returned but i have been apprehensive to try it guess i found out by accident instead lol just waiting for the results coming back now :blink:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

That's great you were able to feel better so quick from it. I didn't see a major difference till 3 months and then took me another couple months to get back to normal. Did you get your tests done while you were still on gluten? That can make tests come back negative for celiac if you have been gluten free.

Good luck with everything :D

Guest andy_uk

Well what i meant was i didnt have diarrhea anymore still didnt feel like me or how i used to anyway but at least i aint doing the 100 meter dash now whenever i eat something i had the tests done while staying clear of gluten but i have only been avoiding it for about 1 - 2 weeks i had my tests done yesterday so they will be around 1 week before i get the results i dont know how quick american doctors are but british doctors tend to be on a go slow most of the time in a way im kind of relieved that the rice krispies gave me diarrhea but at the same time it gets to me as it is yet another thing i cant have anymore its hard as it seems like everything i used to eat contains it so now i am avoiding it im sure you know the feeling

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yeah I know how it feels...took me a while to get used to the diet and it annoyed me but I was reminded constantly...it could be worse. Being off of the diet 1-2 weeks prior to testing could change results...hopefully it does not change results in your case but it very well could.

Over here doctors can be the same way. It took me about 4 days to get results and for the in depth panel took about a week.

Talk to you soon :D

celiac3270 Collaborator

My results got back from the lab pretty quickly, but the doctor took a couple days longer to contact me about them. <_< Well, if the average American celiac has the disease for 11 years before getting diagnosed, I guess a few extra days isn't that big a deal.

It is very overwhelming at first--and depressing for that matter--to cut out all those foods and try some gluten-free foods that are...mediocre at best! A few months, though, and you'll know all your favorites, have to think only twice (not 4 times) about what you can eat. Just hang in there. Also, you'll be told sometimes, that you need to go 100% gluten-free immediately. My GI, though, is giving a talk at the celiac conference in New York about how you'll go crazy trying to be 100% gluten-free the first week...it's better to ease your way into it and really plan. Don't worry about the Rice Krispies...nearly all of us (myself included) had a couple slipups in the beginning--right now, just try to work out the kinks. ;)

Guest nini

I buy Erewhon Crispy brown rice, to me tastes just like rice crispies, only it's gluten-free

The first few months I was gluten-free I made some mistakes, and I paid for them, but it is an adjustment period, and even after being gluten-free for 2 years now, I still make a mistake every now and then, I assume something is safe and it's not. Like I assumed that Corn Pops were still gluten-free and didn't realize until it was too late that they had changed their formula. Always double check labels even on products you've bought many times before.

minibabe Contributor

I just finished a box of erewhon crispy brown rice and it tasted a little burnt. I dunno if it was just the box I got or it was the cereal? maybe I should try another box?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

In my opinion that brand tastes a little on the burnt side. I use them only for rice krispy treats because they taste the same to me then. I don't eat them plain...for plain cereal I like Envirokidz and Cocoa and Fruity Pebbles.

Guest BellyTimber

Hello Andy. I'm from the UK too. I've had more than the couple of slip-ups celiac3270 mentioned and am two years in. Your doctor sounds relatively efficient and sharp - so far!

Because the majority of forum users are U.S. with a few Canadians and others the brand names and company policies are sometimes different. We have a UK section of the forum for UK specific products, places etc but sometimes the issues are just the same in the U.S. so I think you did the right thing there.

I moved home twice after having to go gluten-free and have ended up in a place with a kitchen one-tenth the size so am having to convert half the flat into a kitchen extension, with extra shelves to hold equipment and food stocks.

Keep us posted about your doctor & any more food queries.

Re toasted rice things, Kallo do rice puffs that are plain with nothing else (plus a version with honey) which are relatively expensive. Big Oz do organic ones (lots of food miles :lol: ) ditto. One or two health food shops do an own brand that may be slightly cheaper.

Best of wishes,

Guest andy_uk

Yeah i seem to be getting towards normal again :) thank god its hard to know what you can and cant have there is so much rubbish in some things that you just have no idea or i dont at least lol and then there are the annoying manufacturers ho seem to think its funny to not list there ingredients making life harder for us :angry:

Guest BellyTimber

:) Queries about products & places are particularly good to raise under "UK & Europe" which I regularly check but on universal ingredients, cooking issues, symptoms and just plain coping the other portions of the forum are ideal.

Keep us posted about your tests, everyone seems to undergo a different procedure, and mine in particular is not a textbook story.

Archived