This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are There Any Name Brand Frostings That Are gluten-free

SGWhiskers

SGWhiskers Collaborator

The title says it all. Are there any name brand frostings that are gluten-free? I need one this Saturday and can't wait for the Betty Crocker gluten-free line to appear on store shelves.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I buy Pillsbury Milk Chocolate, but I read the label every time I buy it.

hannahp57 Contributor

I buy pillsbury too. of course check the label! haha but they are very good about labeling and i have never reacted to it ( and i do put away my fair share of frosting when i am decorating a cake :) )

BRS-07 Rookie

Duncan Heinz (sp?) frosting is all gluten free except for one kind and I believe it's a coconut type one. Their white regular frosting is amazing.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

This forum is a lifesaver. Figuratively and literally. Thank you friends.

Lisa Mentor

Open Original Shared Link

This is helpful, but always check the dates to make sure that the information is current. Learning to read labels is always the key and purchasing from companies who will clearly list all forms of gluten, such as these:

Open Original Shared Link

Takala Enthusiast

This is driving me crazy reading all these requests on store bought junk

Frosting, homemade, gluten free:

1 Stick of butter, or equivalent amount of butter like shortening item(even coconut oil works, but use less)

1 box of powdered confectioner's sugar (regular sugar can be powdered in a blender if cornstarch is a problem)

pinch of salt

1 teaspoon of vanilla

liquid to make frosting consistency, a few teaspoons, such as milk or water

cocoa powder if making it chocolate

Cream butter and powdered sugar, salt together (maybe cocoa), until the fat is well distributed into the sugar, then add the vanilla and the rest of the liquid in small amounts and stir and mix until it takes on a frosting texture.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliet Newbie

I believe almost all Betty Crocker frostings are gluten free. Starting in June this year, they'll be clearly labeled as such, too. In fact, it's in June that they're gluten free mixes for brownies, chocolate & vanilla cake, and chocolate chip cookies will be available in regular stores like Target, Wal-mart, and regular grocery stores, too.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

Thanks Takala,

I'm all for making frosting myself, but if I'm trying to pass off a gluten free cake to my extended family, I better stick with a frosting they think they want. If I can get the cake to pass the test this time, I'll sneak in homemade frosting next time.

Your recipe is right up my ally. Simple and loaded with the good stuff.

Archived