This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ideas For Healthy gluten-free Lunches?

wilem008

wilem008 Contributor

Please help guys, I need some ideas for healthy gluten free lunches. Healthy but filling....A salad for me is not filling!

Im used to having cheese and tomato on gluten-free toast or left over gluten-free pizza but I need to lose weight! Im the heaviest ive ever been and for some wierd reason ive gained 10Kg in the last year!! Ive had lost of tests done and all the only thing the doctors found was a blood clot near my left ovary which was probably a cyst.

Ive been gluten free since May 2008.

I feel uncomfortable in my skin, I feel self concious and un-sexy. My weight gain is effecting my sexual relationship with my partner....I dont want him to see me naked, I feel so big at the moment - how can he possibly find me sexy?!

Please help - suggestions on how to improve my diet would be really appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Erin

(wilem)

p.s I dont binge drink, smoke, snack on fatty cakes/biscuits etc. I feel like I eat fairly well already!

Also - I should add: Im in Australia and its coming into summer....I live in the desert and its already SUPER hot here! I guess i need lunch ideas that a 'summer friendly' eg. Not hot soup. Also, i dont get a long lunch break so I need meals that are quick and easy to prepare.

Thanks! :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ang1e0251 Contributor

For me I dropped weight when I cut out sugar and all grains for awhile. I should stay off them longer but...

For lunch it sounds like finger food is best for you. Lunchmeat with cream cheese and rolled up. Fruits and veggies with cheese chunks. I have a lot of chicken chunks with vegies. Nuts are very filling and good for you too. If you do have a salad, add an avocado, that is very filling too.

Shess0816 Apprentice
For me I dropped weight when I cut out sugar and all grains for awhile. I should stay off them longer but...

For lunch it sounds like finger food is best for you. Lunchmeat with cream cheese and rolled up. Fruits and veggies with cheese chunks. I have a lot of chicken chunks with vegies. Nuts are very filling and good for you too. If you do have a salad, add an avocado, that is very filling too.

Maybe a healthy tuna salad? Mix together sweet relish, tuna, lowfat or fatfree vanilla yogurt, celery, and egg whites. Then you spoon out however much you want and eat it over a bed of diced tomatoes. It's super good. It's even better after it's been sitting in the fridge overnight and you have it for lunch the next day! I have it in the summer all the time!

GottaSki Mentor

I keep rice crackers, deli meat, usually turkey, spinach and avocados at work to make mini sandwiches. Fills you up but the rice crackers are far lighter and less calories than gluten-free bread or bagels.

Swimmr Contributor

What I do to lose weight...and what has worked for other's I've written up diet plans for is to eat small portions more frequently. It speeds up your metabolism this way.

Stick to lean meats...boneless skinless chicken and one side...or two, just don't over eat. 6 oz of chicken with a 1/2 cup of each side or 1 cup for one side. Salmon and tilapia are great alternatives too.

If you can have eggs, hard boil some to keep with you during the day. Yogurts are good snacks to have in between meals too as well as any fresh fruits or snackable veggies like carrots, celery...etc.

Try eating 5 times a day (three meals plus snack in between). If you start to feel hunger pains, that is when your metabolism slows down and your sugar drops. You need to keep that from happening. Most people I've worked with has taken a week or two to get used to it, but I guaranteed a girl 10 lbs within one month and she did it (along with 1/2 hour of cardio 4x a week).

Bake or broil your meats. Good seasonings that I enjoy on chicken is a mixture of garlic, sage, rosemary, parsley, and fresh ground black pepper. It's amazing on salmon too.

Or get a whole (cut up chicken), take off all skin and fat, then the extras (gizzards, etc) and put in a pot and cover with water. Bring to boiling and then turn it down to 4 or 5 and simmer for several hours. Let it sit for a bit till it's not too hot to put in the fridge and keep it there overnight. Next day skim off all the fat on top and throw away. Then strain the remainder into a roasting pan and add the skinless chicken, carrots, celery, potatoes, onions (or whatever you'd like, these are my fav) and add some seasonings of your choice or none at all as the broth is tastey all by itself. Add water until everything is covered. Bake for about an hour at about 375. I usually let mine sit for another 1/2 hour afterwards (with oven off). Make some fresh rice to go with and if you like leftovers, there is PLENTY of it :)

tarnalberry Community Regular

"salad" can be healthy and filling, depending on how you make it. a handful of spinach (my hands are small, but my handfuls of spinach for a salad always impress my husband ;), a sliced chicken breast, or leftover salmon (or canned salmon), maybe some hardboiled egg, tomato, and dressing, and the salad gets filling. You could add garbanzo beans too.

Of course, my office lunches always used to be leftovers from dinner the night before.

If I'm at home, I'll sometimes make cold tuna tacos (tuna mixed with some avocado, tomato, onion, lettuce, and then put on corn tortillas).

What sort of things do you like?

Part of what I've found to keep weight down is to really watch portion sizes. Make a smaller meal, eat it, and wait a little while. Don't watch the clock, but wait until you get up or go back for more. Sometimes, you can distract yourself from what can be a habit of eating (or the desire for an overly full stomach).

carsondcat Newbie
Please help guys, I need some ideas for healthy gluten free lunches. Healthy but filling....A salad for me is not filling!

Im used to having cheese and tomato on gluten-free toast or left over gluten-free pizza but I need to lose weight! Im the heaviest ive ever been and for some wierd reason ive gained 10Kg in the last year!! Ive had lost of tests done and all the only thing the doctors found was a blood clot near my left ovary which was probably a cyst.

Ive been gluten free since May 2008.

I feel uncomfortable in my skin, I feel self concious and un-sexy. My weight gain is effecting my sexual relationship with my partner....I dont want him to see me naked, I feel so big at the moment - how can he possibly find me sexy?!

Please help - suggestions on how to improve my diet would be really appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Erin

(wilem)

p.s I dont binge drink, smoke, snack on fatty cakes/biscuits etc. I feel like I eat fairly well already!

Also - I should add: Im in Australia and its coming into summer....I live in the desert and its already SUPER hot here! I guess i need lunch ideas that a 'summer friendly' eg. Not hot soup. Also, i dont get a long lunch break so I need meals that are quick and easy to prepare.

Thanks! :-)

Gooday

Give up the gluten-free pizza, cheese and gluten-free bread which is much higher in carbs and fat than non gluten-free types (if you really want to lose weight). if you still want to eat cheese you have to do low fat cheese such as cottage cheese (yeuch) or non-fat ricotta cheese... and you really must limit the carbs you take in with the rice and gluten-free pasta, as already mentioned portion control is everything... with rice and pasta 2/3 of a cup of cooked rice or pasta is one portion ...if you eat yogurt it should be either low fat or non-fat (fage) . Instead of eating gluten-free bread i eat either the rice thins or corn thins as you can have 3 of these compared to just 1 slice of gluten-free bread (roughly) so you get to eat more for less calories. Hummus is great as a dip for raw vegetables especially when snacking.

You say it's hot but you don't want salad how about chicken and vegetable stir fry it's quick and easy to prep and cook.

I've just a 2/3 cup of cooked gluten-free pasta with an 8 vegetable sauce (i make a batch of the sauce and freeze into 1 cup servings) with one chicken sausage link and now for pudd I'm going to have a nonfat yogurt with half a cup of apple sauce mixed in with 4 chopped up walnut halves sprinkled on top and I'll struggle to eat all of that.. I'm training (exercising) whilst under the guidance of a nutrionist.. so my big advice to you is diet the correct way under the guidance of a professional it make cost you a little bit in the short term but the long term gains will be worth it.. It will also keep you honest and motivated :rolleyes:

Kia Ora and Good Luck

P.S My husband has lost 21lbs in the last 8 weeks and wow is all i can say.... :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

buffettbride Enthusiast

Doing a lower carb diet like the South Beach diet will probably help. It focuses on lean meats and LOTS of veggies. Very easy to do gluten-free on South Beach.

Hubby (gluten-free) and me (non-gluten-free) are able to easily follow the diet and have lost 50lbs and 30lbs respectively. Granted, we're fatties, but it does work. :lol:

wilem008 Contributor

Thanks for all your suggestions! :-D

You're right, I do need to cut out my gluten-free Pizza and gluten-free bread - that's too much carbs during the day.

I'll switch to corn thins - I quite like those (rice thins I find really yuck, I always have).

Im concious of how much sodium I consume. I thought Tuna and creamed corn on corn thins might be nice but I dont want to swap carbs for sodium. I guess everything is ok in moderation!

Im 27 and am now on a mission to lose at least 10 kg! Its my new goal. Ive started exersicing 4-5 times a week (on my new Wii Fit! Yay!) and im going to do what I can to change my eating habits.

Its really only lunch thats a problem. I have high fibre gluten-free cereal with low fat soy milk for breakfast or I have low fat lactose free yoghurt. I snack on nuts, fruit, gluten-free mueli and for dinner - mostly we're meat and 3 veg type people. Lost of steak and veg. We really like Tacos and we occasionaly make a spag bol or cabonara with gluten-free pasta.

I think my diet is already pretty good so losing the weight might be kinda tough. Changing what I have for lunch would be a big help.

Does anyone have any yummy recipes for a cold soup? :-)

Thanks everyone!

mbrookes Community Regular

Gazpacho (That's not spelled right) is a really good cold soup and carries well. Just Google gazpacho recipes and pick one that sounds good.

Salax Contributor

Hi There, I highly recommend Body for Life, www.bodyforlife.com (everything I am about to share is in the book)

Most of what everyone is saying here is also in this book. You would have to modify the plan slightly since we can't eat gluten foods, so what I do is eat more veggies.

Eat 5 to 6 small meals per day, with 6 days of 30 minutes of activity. You'll lose weight quickly the first 3 months. I lost 40 pounds. B)

Some of the things I eat: (I do eat dairy, if you don't modify this)

1. Whey protien shake (Jay Robbs is my fav), I use either water or lactose free milk with the chocolate powder and ice. Some times I add in a banana or peanut butter.

2. 2 hardboiled eggs, no yokes with a piece of fruit or yugurt.

3. Salad with lean ham or turkey, string cheese, tomatoes (veggies are up to you). With again a piece of fruit or yugurt.

4. Larabar or Think thin bar. If your not into bars, nuts (almonds, peacans) are a healthy snack, not to much though. I would par a small hand full of nuts with some celery with either peanut butter or ranch dressing. Or snack on some carrots with ranch. (try to find the healthest low cal dressing possible, I know thats hard they are all chemicals)

5. Lean meat grilled with veggies (chicken, pork, white fish, salmon)

6. Fruit with cottage cheese.

Keep your portions no larger that the palm of your hand. I eat every 2 to 3 hours.

One trick on cardio exercise days is to work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach (you'll burn 3 times the amount of calories), eat after 1 hour of rest, so your body keeps burning...Seriously it works, I do it.

I hope that helps, best of luck! :D

tarnalberry Community Regular

personally, I'm not a big fan of "fat free" everything. watch your portions, and eat the full fat version as it will fill you more - cheese and yogurt in particular. the fat free versions almost universally have more sugar (or artificial sweeteners) to make up for the difference in taste. of course, this doesn't work for everyone, but I found it very helpful for myself.

Archived