This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How To Get Family To Be Supportive

jackay

jackay Enthusiast

I have had insomnia for four years and try everything I hear of to help sleep. I haven't found anything that helps. I know I have good sleep hygiene. My daughter commented that a lot of people don't sleep. I realize that, but the body and mind need sleep. Most people that don't sleep don't just accept the fact that they can't sleep but try different things to help them.

My daughter was so miserable with sleep deprivation for six months from an infant that didn't sleep. They came to stay with me this summer and since I don't sleep, I listened to her baby at night while my daughter slept with ear plugs. After two nights of sleep, my daughter was a new person. Also, after two nights of letting her baby cry, the baby started sleeping through the night. That just goes to show what sleep does for a person. Both my daughter and her baby became much happier. I was happy that I could help her out but would have been even happier if I could have started sleeping, too.

I have done a lot of reading on line and books about gluten intolerance. I told my daughter that any amount of gluten does damage and that I have to eliminate every trace of gluten from my diet. My daughter suggested I stop reading :(

My husband continues to eat his gluten and I don't want to deprive him of it. However, I am concerned that I am going to contaminate my food with crumbs that he doesn't clean up. He likes to bake cookies and I am concerned about the flour getting everywhere.

I need to vent and feel lots better:) I personally know of no one that is gluten intolerant so really appreciate the support of this forum.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NorthernElf Enthusiast

I have heard taking a B complex can help sleep - a lady I work with swears by this. I take one anyway (good idea for celiacs) but I found it's better to take in the am (she takes hers in the pm). I don't have sleep problems.

As for the contamination issue - I have gluten-free signs on most of my counters & on my toaster and the gluten folks in my house have one counter. I got rid of the bread maker - too many crumbs. That was still hard - then I bought an island from walmart for about $200 and all the bread, muffins, and the gluten toaster are on it. That has really helped. It has drawers too and I put the gluten utensils and measuring cups and plastic containers in there too. My baking stuff is mostly silicone so it's easy to tell what is mine.

My friends & family finally get it. It took awhile - I think that thing that helped was my consistency in eating gluten-free....and my feeling better of course. It can be hard for people to get you changing your diet, no longer eating what you normally did, what they normally do. It can be hard for them to get that you HAVE to change. Of course, when you start feeling better they start to see how effective the change is.

Best of luck !

ang1e0251 Contributor

I think insomnia is like a migraine headache; there can be more than one reason you suffer from it. I have found that some of the things that work for others also work for me but often not. The B complex is good advice for most of us with celiac disease as it's easy to be deficiant but I would caution not to take it at night. They perk me up and if I take them after noon, it interferes with my sleep.

I've taken melatonin with good results for years. Over the years I have gradually increased the amount to 6 mg's but that is still minimal. My dr poo poos that dose as not even close to harmful. It helps me fall asleep. I still wake throughout the night but I can return to sleep successfully. I've heard there is a time release type but I haven't tried it. I saw a big benefit when I increased my magnesium intake. I didn't expect it to help my sleep but it relaxes the muscles and veins. I was having tight neck muscles that made finding a comfortable position difficult. That cleared up with the magnesium.

Another reason for poor sleep can be low blood sugar. If this is a problem, you may need to eat a protein snack before bed and avoid carbs in the evening.

Hope something in there helps, there are other helps for insomnia if none of these are worthwhile.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

Benadryl is also a safe option for insomnia. My son's doctor suggested it for him. It can make you a little drowsie in the morning though, so if you have to be somewhere very early you may want to use it on the weekends only.

NorthernElf Enthusiast

ang1e0251 - I meant to add that taking the B complex at night might not help sleep - that's why I take mine in the am....I did try to take it in the evening after my friend said how helpful it was but I did find it kept me awake ! Great advice !

jackay Enthusiast

I'll see what my doctor has to say about the B complex. I am taking B5B6 in the a.m. as a drastically reduced dose from what he suggested. The first day I took one whole supplement and literally went through the roof with anxiety. I didn't sleep at all that night. I am now taking 1/4 of a tablet. Didn't sleep a wink last night again so am even more nonfunctioning today. I thought the B5B6 was helping calm down my loud pulse but that it has gotten louder again.

It puzzles me that I am so sensitive to supplements since I have absorption issues. If I don't absorb them, why do they bother me? Guess they are no different than foods.

jackay Enthusiast

As an afterthought, I have tried both 3 mg. and 6 mg. melatonin and still have sleep issues. My doctor said to stick to 3 mg. since 6 mg. wasn't doing any more. I don't know why I even take the 3 mg. since it isn't helping. I also take magnesium and my doctor feels the amount shouldn't be increased. Taking a higher dose of magnesium in the past didn't help.

Tonight I'll try Benadryl again but that hasn't worked for me either. Hopefully I'll find the right combination soon.

I am so frustrated :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
jackay Enthusiast

My DH is now being supportive. It sure makes living with this easier. My son and his wife called to see if it was O.K. for them to bring some french bread and scented candles with when they come for Christmas. I am allowing bread in the house but was pleased that they called and asked it if was O.K. As far as the scented candles go, we can give them a try. I do react to quite a few scents.

I think my DH is actually seeing that I feel better and has decided this may actually be working. He has a friend whose wife is sensitive to fish and it can't be cooked in their house because her reaction is so severe. He now relates that to my gluten sensitivity.

I'm sure my daughter will come around, too.

Archived