This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bread Making Troubles

DMarie

DMarie Apprentice

Okay, I have tried to bake loaf after loaf of bread. I have found some I like the taste of - but my problem is that the middle typically sinks. :angry: I have scoured the forum for advice. I believe my problem is too much liquid, so have scaled back on the liquid. This has helped so that I don't have a crater, but I normally still have some sinking (I check the temp with a thermometer to bake the bread to the temp specified in the recipe - most seem to recommend 200-205 degrees).

I am finding that I need to remove a SUBSTANTIAL amount of water. Upwards of 1/2 a cup! That seems to be ALOT to remove. :unsure:

I spoon my flours into the measuring cup, and also tap the measuring cups on top with a knife before levelling them off. I do not think I am spooning so lightly that I am getting substantially less flours. I am stopping short of banging the cups on the counter now - to make sure I am not shorting on the flour (I am tapping quite a few times firmly now).

I am using a 9 x 5 ceramic loaf pan. Love the way the ceramic bakes. I am toying with looking for 8 x 4 pans and using two of them. But I just have not located them in local stores (have tried Bed, Bath and Beyond that someone suggested, no luck here - and just haven't ordered from Amazon lately). I like the larger size, was trying to get a higher loaf, but am wondering if smaller is better with gluten-free breads (maybe the structure can't hold itself up in a bigger pan???). I am currently using the rapid rise yeast and let my bread rise in a warmed oven (approx 80 degrees) until it is doubled in size - which takes it to the top of the pan. I have used regular rise yeast before - same problem. But I like having a shorter rise time with the rapid rise.

I live in North Texas. Not an especially humid or dry area. I am finding that I often have to adjust the liquid in other recipes as well. I just made waffles this past weekend and used just a little over 1/2 of the liquid called for! My flours are the same as they have always been.

I don't mind having to use less liquid...I just want a loaf of bread that is taller than 2 inches (would be happy with 3 inches even!) - and that does not sink in the middle. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wildwood Apprentice

I found that using two smaller loaf pans instead of a large one made a huge difference. They rise nicely and are evenly baked.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

This weekend all six loaves of my Banana bread dipped in the middle also.

lonewolf Collaborator

If you just want bread for sandwiches or to wrap up hamburgers or hotdogs, try this. It's way easier than trying to make a loaf of gluten-free bread. I make it several times a week. You could probably use any type of flour or finely ground nuts instead of the almonds.

Soft Flat Bread

4 Egg Whites

2 Egg Yolks

1/2 C Almond Flour (can buy at Trader Joes)

1 tsp. Butter

1 tsp. Honey

Dash of salt

Beat egg whites until they form soft peaks. Then beat egg yolks with butter and honey. Sprinkle almond flour and salt onto egg whites, pour egg yolk mixture on top and gently stir until it's all mixed together. Pour/scrape onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. (This is the best stuff ever invented!) Smooth with the back of the spoon to about a 12" x 12" square, making sure that the thickness is consistent. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and slide bread, parchment paper and all onto a cooling rack.

I use a jelly roll type pan (instead of a cookie sheet) that has little holes in it - a pizza pan with holes in it would work well too - that makes it a little drier/crispier on the bottom.

DMarie Apprentice

Thanks Lonewolf for the "quick bread" recipe. Might just try (I have almond meal at home).

Wildwood - good to know about the smaller loaf pans. Would these by 8 x 4 pans? I am trying to get the sizes right. Think it is time to order from Amazon! ;)

wildwood Apprentice
Wildwood - good to know about the smaller loaf pans. Would these by 8 x 4 pans? I am trying to get the sizes right. Think it is time to order from Amazon! ;)

Yes, I use 8 x 4 pans. Good Luck!!!!

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I just finished a dinner of hot dogs with lonewolf's Soft Flat Bread. It whips up fast and is very good. I halved the recipe since it's just two of us. I did not have almond flour, just used Pamela's. I cut it into six pieces once finished. It's very good. Will be making this again. Next time I think I'll put some dried onions in the mix.

If you just want bread for sandwiches or to wrap up hamburgers or hotdogs, try this. It's way easier than trying to make a loaf of gluten-free bread. I make it several times a week. You could probably use any type of flour or finely ground nuts instead of the almonds.

Soft Flat Bread

4 Egg Whites

2 Egg Yolks

1/2 C Almond Flour (can buy at Trader Joes)

1 tsp. Butter

1 tsp. Honey

Dash of salt

Beat egg whites until they form soft peaks. Then beat egg yolks with butter and honey. Sprinkle almond flour and salt onto egg whites, pour egg yolk mixture on top and gently stir until it's all mixed together. Pour/scrape onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. (This is the best stuff ever invented!) Smooth with the back of the spoon to about a 12" x 12" square, making sure that the thickness is consistent. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and slide bread, parchment paper and all onto a cooling rack.

I use a jelly roll type pan (instead of a cookie sheet) that has little holes in it - a pizza pan with holes in it would work well too - that makes it a little drier/crispier on the bottom.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator
I just finished a dinner of hot dogs with lonewolf's Soft Flat Bread. It whips up fast and is very good. I halved the recipe since it's just two of us. I did not have almond flour, just used Pamela's. I cut it into six pieces once finished. It's very good. Will be making this again. Next time I think I'll put some dried onions in the mix.

Did you use Pamela's baking mix? Does Pamela's have a basic flour mix? I use her bread mix all the time and love it!!

I REALLY miss a soft hot dog roll.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I don't know if you are already doing this, but I found that it made a big difference to mix the ingredients in you mixer for a full 5 minutes. That might cause the gums to suck up some of that extra water too.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast
Did you use Pamela's baking mix? Does Pamela's have a basic flour mix? I use her bread mix all the time and love it!!I REALLY miss a soft hot dog roll.

I used Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix. I buy it in a 4 pound bag but they have it in little bags also.

Archived