This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Could Salicylic Acid Cause Problems?

jackay

jackay Enthusiast

I realize this is a strange question but could salicylic acid be adding to my discomfort. I am using a these pads on my toe to remove a painful corn. It may be coincidental, but since I started using them I have had a headache that I can't get rid of and the muscle pain in my upper back is so much worse. I am also feeling anxious and haven't felt that way in close to two months.

I found this information online: Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe irritation. I didn't get any of those reactions but did discontinue using the pads after about a week. I was able to remove most of the corn and filed the rest of it off. Will see if my symptoms get better in a few days.

I do believe anything can cause anything and there is a cause for everything. However, I do think it is very unlikely that this is effecting me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

While severe reactions are possible, so are more mild ones. You could certainly be sensitive to it. Are you ever bothered by aspirin?

jackay Enthusiast

While severe reactions are possible, so are more mild ones. You could certainly be sensitive to it. Are you ever bothered by aspirin?

I don't think I'm bothered by aspirin but could possibly be. I am taking a pain reliever now with aspirin in it because of my bad headache. It's the only pain reliever I know of that doesn't have wheat or corn in it. The company told me it is gluten free but I could possibly have been missed informed about that. Guess I'll discontinue that, too and see if I can put up with the pain. I normally don't use a pain reliever often and definitely not every day. However, this headache has lasted longer than usual so it could be the accumulation of aspirin that is bothering me.

My son got hyperactive from ingesting salicylates when he was an infant and toddler so we had to avoid any foods that contained them. He outgrew the hyperactivity so we introduced them back into his diet when he got older.

mushroom Proficient

My sister is very sensitive to salicylates of any kind, and the negative response is generally muscular. She has to avoid all the high-salicylate foods, and really limit her consumption.

jackay Enthusiast

I just checked the list of foods that have salycilates. My muscles in my upper back and shoulder are definitely more sore. I think I was having a salycilate overload with foods, aspirin and the acid I used on my foot. I'm cutting out the foods with the highest amount, discontinued the acid on my foot (luckily I got rid of the corn) and will see if I notice improvement.

As far as the anxiety goes, maybe my son was having that and or muscle pain from the salycilates when he was a baby. Since he outgrew it, we'll never know.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

The next time you get a corn try getting just the pads with an open spot instead of using the 'corn dissolving' pads. It takes longer for them to loosen so they can simply be peeled off but they will soften and fall off like a callus and the open areas on the pads keep them from hurting.

jackay Enthusiast

The next time you get a corn try getting just the pads with an open spot instead of using the 'corn dissolving' pads. It takes longer for them to loosen so they can simply be peeled off but they will soften and fall off like a callus and the open areas on the pads keep them from hurting.

I'll have to look for those next time. I thought they were just for comfort and didn't do anything to get rid of the corn.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I'll have to look for those next time. I thought they were just for comfort and didn't do anything to get rid of the corn.

Getting rid of the pressure gets rid of corn. They will usually peel off easily layer by layer after a soak in the tub or shower. It is not a real quick process but it is chemical free. I then use the pads to prevent corns when I absolutely have to wear the shoes that caused them in the first place. It's best of course to not wear shoes so tight that corns form but sometimes I just have to wear pretty impractical shoes once in a while.

jackay Enthusiast

Getting rid of the pressure gets rid of corn. They will usually peel off easily layer by layer after a soak in the tub or shower. It is not a real quick process but it is chemical free. I then use the pads to prevent corns when I absolutely have to wear the shoes that caused them in the first place. It's best of course to not wear shoes so tight that corns form but sometimes I just have to wear pretty impractical shoes once in a while.

I have very wide feet and even with extra wide walking shoes, I get a corn on my left little toe. There isn't much I can do because any shoe seems to cause this. I don't ever wear pretty impractical shoes. Well, every once in a while I go to a wedding where I wear casual dress shoes but can't wait to get them off. I am a very casual dresser!

Archived