This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sorry, Tmi...

RideAllWays

RideAllWays Enthusiast

Hi, so slightly gross and embarrassing question:

Farting has never been a symptom of mine, when I'm gassy I just burp (very, very loudly). The past week though I have been farting lots, but I hold it in until I get onto the toilet because it feels like I have to have a bowel movement, but all that comes out is this yellowish foam...It smells terrible as well.

I haven't changed my diet except for I'm eating more whole foods and less of the processed stuff...which should be better? There is no gluten in my apartment at all and I don't eat out. It's a mystery to me!

Do you think this is a gluten-related symptom?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Are you having any pain or other gluten type symptoms? Are you passing any regular formed stool or do you have D? Are you constipated? Are you running a fever? Have you seen your doctor or called his office and talked to the nurse? It might be a good idea to do so.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I agree that you might go to the doc. My kids have had those types of symptoms when they had a stomache virus. Are there other symptoms that might point to a virus? Although there's nothing for the docs to do, they can at least monitor you for dehydration.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Hi, so slightly gross and embarrassing question:

Farting has never been a symptom of mine, when I'm gassy I just burp (very, very loudly). The past week though I have been farting lots, but I hold it in until I get onto the toilet because it feels like I have to have a bowel movement, but all that comes out is this yellowish foam...It smells terrible as well.

I haven't changed my diet except for I'm eating more whole foods and less of the processed stuff...which should be better? There is no gluten in my apartment at all and I don't eat out. It's a mystery to me!

Do you think this is a gluten-related symptom?

Actually, it sounds like your system may be cleaning itself. Are you having actual diarrhea, or is this stuff you describe only coming out when you have extreme gas? If there's no diarrhea, your body may be using the extra fiber it's getting to scrub out some gook on your intestinal walls, which would create gas, nasty smells, and funny colors. Happens when I go grain free for a while.

Edited to say: If there are fair amounts of this yellow stuff, instead of just little bits, I'd call my doc, too.

RideAllWays Enthusiast

Are you having any pain or other gluten type symptoms? Are you passing any regular formed stool or do you have D? Are you constipated? Are you running a fever? Have you seen your doctor or called his office and talked to the nurse? It might be a good idea to do so.

That's what is confusing me..I don't really have pain or any of my other gluten symptoms. I have had night sweats every night for around the same amount of time, but I don't see how it could be related..I am passing formed stools, but I will go 3 or 4 days without any bowel movement and then I'll go 4-5 times in the span of like 2 hours..

I guess I could talk to my doctor about it, I wasn't too concerned and thought it was just a Celiac thing :P

ravenwoodglass Mentor

That's what is confusing me..I don't really have pain or any of my other gluten symptoms. I have had night sweats every night for around the same amount of time, but I don't see how it could be related..I am passing formed stools, but I will go 3 or 4 days without any bowel movement and then I'll go 4-5 times in the span of like 2 hours..

I guess I could talk to my doctor about it, I wasn't too concerned and thought it was just a Celiac thing :P

The night sweats could be related, do mention those to the doctor. You may be running a low grade fever that is spiking at night. Have you taken your temp? It sounds like you are getting constipated and then clearing out. Have you tried eliminating dairy or soy to see if it helps?

Archived