This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fever After Eating Gluten

kors

kors Rookie

I am on day 6 of a gluten challenge - it is horrible, and I don't think I will continue. After being gluten free/dairy free for 3 weeks (and feeling great) - my doc wanted more blood work. The weird thing that I have noticed is that I have been running a low grade fever after eating gluten (99 - 100). Has this happened to anyone? I don't "feel" sick - have no sinus issues, cough, UTI, etc., just some tummy issues. My doc has no idea (typical), but a gal at the gluten free store said that since Celiac is an auto-immune disorder, a fever could be my bodies way of attacking the gluten? Just wondering if I am the only one who has had this problem. I don't feel like going on needless antibiotics if I don't feel sick.

I so appreciate this forum - so glad to know that I am not alone!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Yep. Unexplained fevers/chills were one of my symptoms. At one point it was so bad I thought I was going through early menopause (I'm 30). I hope you can get your testing done without causing too much damage to your body with this trial. Just curious--What is your reason for needing the additional testing? I can't bare the thought of going through that pain again just to have positive result in a file somewhere.

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

My daughter does...she's running one right now, after a glutening on Sunday. I brought her in to the doctor today, since it's day 4 of fever. Nothing could be found, so I'm assuming it's her immune system gone awry. Hope your challenge goes okay and you get to feeling better soon!

Mari Contributor

Hi Kors,

Enterolab offers more sensitive fecal tests for celiac disease. You can write them and describe what you've been doing and ask if their tests would be OK.

Celiacs are often infected with Lyme disease. I had that problem for years with a low grade fever - 100 or less. There is a good test for this and my blood test went from negative to positive when I went gluten-free. Drs offer a course of antibiotics which has many side effects so I decided to use hemeopathic drops available from a local ND and now I'm free of Lyme's.

Archived