This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are Silk Products Cf/gluten-free?

Becksabec

Becksabec Apprentice

I always thought that Silk Soy milk was free of gluten and casein, but I noticed that none of their products are on the listen of gluten/casein free products from Whole Foods.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hermitgirl Contributor

I always thought that Silk Soy milk was free of gluten and casein, but I noticed that none of their products are on the listen of gluten/casein free products from Whole Foods.

According to their website they are not certified gluten free, nor do they test for gluten. It used to have the label on it but no longer does. They do not ask their suppliers either. Some time next year they will have a form of testing in place, till then, who knows. I have noticed that it has been upsetting my stomach for the last few weeks so I switched to 8th continent. Problems gone. I have no idea about the casein, as that is not a problem for me.

jackay Enthusiast

I'm doing fine with Silk PureAlmond milk.

Becksabec Apprentice

According to their website they are not certified gluten free, nor do they test for gluten. It used to have the label on it but no longer does. They do not ask their suppliers either. Some time next year they will have a form of testing in place, till then, who knows. I have noticed that it has been upsetting my stomach for the last few weeks so I switched to 8th continent. Problems gone. I have no idea about the casein, as that is not a problem for me.

Ok thanks. It has been midly upsetting my stomach lately also. I'll just switch to something on the safe list then.

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

The last time I spoke to a representative from Silk (about 5 months ago) they assured me that they do not have any products in their factory that contain gluten. As far as casein, I didn't ask, but I don't believe they make any products with casein...their products are dairy free.

Here is their statement on casein and gluten in their products:

Open Original Shared Link

"All Silk products are dairy-free, lactose-free and casein-free, and can be suitable for those with dairy allergies."

"There are no wheat, wheat gluten, rye, oat, barley or malt ingredients in Silk soymilk, Silk Live! soy yogurt and Silk creamer. Because our products do not contain these ingredients, and our plants do not handle or receive these ingredients in their operations, we would not expect the presence of these items in our products. However, at this time we do not actively test for this type of contamination. Those with severe allergies should always consult a doctor before introducing a new food.

Consumer safety is our highest priority; we are currently setting up gluten testing protocols, and look forward to putting them in place by 2011."

Gemini Experienced

Ok thanks. It has been midly upsetting my stomach lately also. I'll just switch to something on the safe list then.

Silk Soy Milk is gluten-free so maybe you are reacting to the soy. I drink Silk Soy Milk on a fairly regular basis and as an extremely sensitive Celiac, I never have a problem with it. Either that, or you may be reacting to another ingredient.

The statements issued by companies do not mean they are not gluten-free, they are just protecting themselves from a legal aspect. You can blame the US legal system for this. I recently saw that Starbuck's in the UK will be offering gluten-free sandwiches. That won't happen in the US because we have too many frivolous lawsuits. The legal system in the UK is better in that aspect so they don't have the problem of stupid lawsuits over nothing. What a shame because being able to buy a gluten-free sandwich in a coffee shop would be fantastic!

hungryman Newbie

I used to drink Silk and other soy milks, but was told to switch by my doctor because the phytoestrogen in soy products can be problematic if too much is consumed by men.

I now usually drink fat-free Lactaid lactose free milk or rice milk.

Don't know if those options are workable for others, but they do fine for me. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived