This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Flourless Chocolate Torte

Tina B

Tina B Apprentice

I have been making this dessert torte for years and it is better than any flourless cake I've ever had. It is also OK for passover since it has NO flour or leavening. It is a huge hit with anyone, gluten free or not. For those folks not lactose intolerant.

Flourless Chocolate Cake

from the William Sonoma guide to Good cooking

10 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped

3/4 cup butter cut into pieces

2 tsp. vanilla extract

5 eggs, at room temperature

1 cup sugar

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 3500F. Butter a 9

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

georgie Enthusiast
It is a huge hit with anyone, gluten free or not. For those folks not lactose intolerant.

It sounds great and is very suitable for lactose intolerants. Butter and cream have virtually no lactose and pure chocolate should have none either. Saving this recipe now!

Tina B Apprentice

It sounds great and is very suitable for lactose intolerants. Butter and cream have virtually no lactose and pure chocolate should have none either. Saving this recipe now!

I wasn't sure about the cream since I'm not lactose intolerant but I was at a home show once and there was a table from a Wisconson cheese company. They had info about labels on cheese. They said if the label contains no sugar, it contains no lactose. Since lactose is milk sugar it makes sense. What do you lactose intolerant people think of this?

PS: this cake comes out with a lighter texture than the super dense, fudgelike ones I've had in restaurants. don't let the crumbly top worry you. Just trim off the edges and when you pour on the glaze it makes a nice, super dark glossy top. For special occasions I have drizzled a bit of melted white chocolate over it. The contrast in color looks beautiful.

Tina B Apprentice

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 3500F. Butter a 9" springform pan. Line

the bottom with a piece of waxed paper cut to fit.

OOPS! sorry for the typo. the oven temp is 350 NOT 3500 (as if any ovens go that high :-)

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Thanks for sharing. This sounds decadent and wonderful! My only question is, do you think I could use unsweetened Baker's chocolate in place of the bittersweet? The unsweetened in the only one I have seen that doesn't have soy.

Also I didn't know that heavy cream was very low in lactose, but I knew that about butter. I was just going to make the cake and serve fresh raspberry puree over the top of each slice. Or another option for those with milk allergies would be to try it with that Earth Balance spread and use coconut milk (cream) for the glaze.

Tina B Apprentice

Thanks for sharing. This sounds decadent and wonderful! My only question is, do you think I could use unsweetened Baker's chocolate in place of the bittersweet? The unsweetened in the only one I have seen that doesn't have soy.

Also I didn't know that heavy cream was very low in lactose, but I knew that about butter. I was just going to make the cake and serve fresh raspberry puree over the top of each slice. Or another option for those with milk allergies would be to try it with that Earth Balance spread and use coconut milk (cream) for the glaze.

I wouldn't use unsweetened chocolate because the flavor wouldn't be the same. I don't think Bakers bitterweet Chocolate Bars that I use have soy. I can check when I'm back at home. This wouldn't be as nice without the glaze but let me know about the substitution. It does need something on top.

Monklady123 Collaborator

This sounds very yummy! Making a copy of it now for my file. Thanks. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tina B Apprentice

This sounds very yummy! Making a copy of it now for my file. Thanks. :)

It's funny because I had been using this for years even before diagnosis. I found it in a William Sonoma catalog and was using it for passover. Everyone loved it and now have to make it every year.

sometimes the best recipes are the ones that were never intended to have flour or gluten rather than trying to subsitute. I do an awesome cheescake where there is no change in the filling but just use crushed Pamelas shortbread cookies in the food processor with a little butter or crushed Chex cereal for the crust. I top it with fresh fruit and glaze the fruit with a bit of melted red currant jelly. Even pumpkin pie at thanksgiving I just make a crumb crust with crushed gluten free gingersnaps. there is no flour in most filling recipes for pumpkin pie.

Monklady123 Collaborator

It's funny because I had been using this for years even before diagnosis. I found it in a William Sonoma catalog and was using it for passover. Everyone loved it and now have to make it every year.

sometimes the best recipes are the ones that were never intended to have flour or gluten rather than trying to subsitute. I do an awesome cheescake where there is no change in the filling but just use crushed Pamelas shortbread cookies in the food processor with a little butter or crushed Chex cereal for the crust. I top it with fresh fruit and glaze the fruit with a bit of melted red currant jelly. Even pumpkin pie at thanksgiving I just make a crumb crust with crushed gluten free gingersnaps. there is no flour in most filling recipes for pumpkin pie.

Good tips! I LOVE cheesecake, and we all love pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving.

Tina B Apprentice

If you can't find bittersweet without soy I jut found this subsitution list and I guess you can use unsweetened. You just have to increase the sugar. See under bittersweet. Let me know how it turns out. It wouln't be as good without the topping so I don't know if there is a lactose free heavy cream. I do have to say. This must be about a million calories but it disappears.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived