This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eggbeaters..email From Conagra

Darissa

Darissa Contributor

I was wondering about EggBeaters and contacted ConAgra. I was frustrated with their response. Here is their response that I recieved 8/16/2010. Thought others might benefit from this email also.

So is this true with all ConAgra products? That they don't know about the ingredients they use in their products if they contain gluten or not. Kinda of frustrating. I really just wished that gluten was including in the allergies that the FDA requires companies to declare! How easy would life be for people who have Celiac!!

August 16, 2010

Dear Mrs. Perry,

Thank you for your email concerning our Egg Beaters

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BethJ Rookie

FWIW, I've been eating Eggbeaters almost daily for two years and have never had a problem with them. When I went gluten-free, I needed a new source of low-fat protein to replace the soy (and gluten!) sausages I so loved.

kareng Grand Master

I think this is a Cover your a :ph34r::ph34r: statement. They list any gluten they know about but do not test for it. For example, they buy sugar to put in something. Its remotely possible but unlikely, that the company they buy it from has screwed up and there is gluten in it. So they don't want to guarantee another company's products. I think we have to use some common sense.

Darissa Contributor

I am thankful to hear that some people have been using them for years and have done okay with them! That makes me happy:) I'm sure it is a cover yourself answer, but its just so nice when things are labeled gluten free!! Makes our lives much easier!!

Thanks for the info

Lisa Mentor

Yes, this is a CYA statement. ALTHOUGH, ConAgra is one of the good companies who will clearly list all forms of gluten on their ingredients listing. As mentioned in their response, no gluten will hide in Natural Flavors or such.

Many companies will not qualify a product as being gluten free, unless it is "tested". Often times it's just not practical and cost wise, prohibited. Even a product with no gluten ingredients cannot guarantee gluten free status, unless it is tested. And the standard for what is considered "gluten free" has yet to be established in the US. Labeling a product "gluten free" is strictly voluntary currently.

Read the label of any ConAgra product and if you do not see any gluten ingredients, it should be safe to consume.

GFinDC Veteran

August 16, 2010

Dear Mrs. Perry,

If Natural Flavors, Artificial Flavors, or Spices listed in the ingredients list contain wheat, oat, barley, or rye, these ingredients would be listed in parenthesis immediately following the ingredient.

Thanks again for your feedback.

We're listening!

Sincerely,HeatherConsumer Affairs

Ref: 052993586A

I think it's great that they will list wheat, rye, barley and oats after natural flavors. Natural flavors is one of those head-scratcher ingredients and they are taking the guess-work out of it. It would be fantastic if all companies did that.

Darissa Contributor

Agreed :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived