This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Happy Experiences

anabananakins

anabananakins Explorer

I'm at the end of day 3 of a month long holiday in the US. I went gluten free just under 4 months ago. It hasn't been too hard so far, but that's because I live alone, haven't had any social events I couldn't control and am lucky to have a reasonable number of eating out places to choose from that offer gluten-free meals (though that said, two of them have glutened me. One I won't return to, the other I tried a second time and avoided the 'gluten free' bread; that time I was fine.

Anyway, I was worried about this trip, I really didn't want to eat snacky type food the whole time. But I did what I could - read up heaps of places and knew where and what I could eat. So far since i've been in LA I've eaten at In n Out burger, protein style - fine. Chpipotle burrito bowl - fine (no lettuce, I watched and that seemed the best chance of cross contamination). Even ate at the mexican place at the Universal Studios city walk and I was fine. I was a bit careless about that - I checked the corn chips and ordered things that were safe by ingredient but didn't say anything about having to be gluten free. But I'd read the menu thoroughly while waiting for our table and the chances for cc seemed limited so I rolled the dice - and I was fine.

I do understand better now the newly diagosed's distress over shopping. The gluten free stuff at the supermarket near my hotel is all mixed in with the regular stuff and it's a big store. In Australia they put that stuff all in one aisle, though there are gluten free by ingredient items elsewhere. If I was to do this thoroughly it'd take me forever! I still haven't found the bread section, though that was more out of curiosity than any intention of buying it and I can't do more than duck in and out of the bread aisle since the massive bagel selection nearly reduces me to tears. Much of the time involved (and the envy!) comes down to the amazing variety of (regular) products compared to back home. For example, we get two varieties of pre-made frosting - betty crocker's chocolate and vanilla. I swear there must have been 20 varieties in this store! I was mesmerised - my friend had to drag me away. Plus larabars at 10 for $10...ooh!

Sorry, I digress. What I really wanted was to say thank you for all the great advice from this board. If I didn't have all your posts to read I wouldn't have known about safe places or what to check for. It would have been so much harder, I can't imagine. It takes a LOT of research but it is possible to travel around like this - and all by public transport too - and eat safely and a variety of food.

And it's not my first trip to the US but as always I'm struck by just how friendly everyone is, so thank you for that too :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Fishincoug
    Newest Member
    Fishincoug
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• cristiana
      Just to add something here... if any people in the UK are reading this, there can be definite advantages if you are formally diagnosed coeliac,  in terms of getting extra support from the NHS.  For free you get to see a nutritionist, additional vaccinations if deemed necessary, in some areas prescriptions for gluten free food; bone density scans, annual blood tests and reviews with a gastroenterologist, plus it has been my experience I've been able to see a gastroenterologist without a GP's re-referral when I've had complications.  That said, I don't know what impact there would be on health insurance; but I have found that when it comes to travel insurance I have had to declare it but it hasn't made any difference to the premium. However, I realise things can be very different in other parts of the world, and I am not sure where you are from, @Ginger38  
    • Ginger38
      Yes I figured out I couldn’t have gluten years ago when I was symptomatic and tested positive, but was misinformed and told I couldn’t have celiac but to go gluten free. I was already gluten free. I was never willing to go back on gluten and make myself so sick to have the biopsy especially when the biopsy isn’t 💯. But Now I have to have a procedure anyway and he told me he was doing the biopsy either way .. but I should consider the gluten challenge since I have never had the biopsy. He acted like it was super important to have this on paper.  I had no idea there were any possible negative drawbacks to having a formal diagnosis 🤦🏼‍♀️
    • Scott Adams
      While I understand wanting a formal diagnosis, it sounds like you will likely remain gluten-free either way, even if you should test negative for celiac disease (Approximately 10x more people have non-celiac gluten sensitivity than have celiac disease, but there isn’t yet a test for NCGS. If your symptoms go away on a gluten-free diet it would likely signal NCGS). Keep in mind that there are also drawbacks to a formal diagnosis, for example more expensive life and private health insurance, as well as possibly needing to disclose it on job applications.  Normally I am in favor of the formal diagnosis process, but if you've already figured out that you can't tolerate gluten and will likely stay gluten-free anyway, I wanted to at least mention the possible negative sides of having a formal diagnosis.
    • Wheatwacked
      I take Clonidine for BP no gluten reaction.  It was originally prescribed for adolescence who could not take Ritalin.
    • Ginger38
      Basically because he was going to do the biopsy either way , so I agreed after him bugging me lol (after all this time of refusing) (and I’m already regretting) to do the gluten challenge. But yes he’s already told me even in if the biopsy is negative I still have to live as a celiac for the rest of my life bc he’s certain I’m celiac positive regardless of what the biopsy shows. But he can’t put it on paper if it’s negative so I really don’t know what the point is. I have all the symptoms and have had positive IgA antibodies every time I’ve been tested. They did decrease after starting a gluten free diet but never made it to zero.  Also my daughter is going to pediatric gastroenterology in a few months so I thought it may be helpful for her for me to have the procedure 🤷🏼‍♀️