This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Rice Krispies Conundrum - To Eat Or Not To Eat

Tragree

Tragree Newbie

I am so confused by the Rice Krispies issue.

I would like to eat some Cocoa Krispies once in a while. The gluten-free chocolate rice cereal I really liked (New Morning Cocoa Crispy Rice Cereal) was discontinued. Erewhon's version is terrible and Koala Crisp contains other things I'm allergic to.

So, is there anyone out there eating Cocoa Krispies without problems?? I used to eat them, but stopped because of what I've read about malt. But, is there enough in them to cause problems?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I am sorry but the malt does put the cereal into a no go for us.

RideAllWays Enthusiast

Malt=Gluten (unless stated as rice malt, which I have seen once). Do not eat.

SuperMolly Apprentice

What about Cocoa Pebbles?

I've had those and done just fine with them.

I have also made some good "Cocoa Pebbles Bars" instead of Rice Crispie Bars. They are very good and great crowd pleasers at social gatherings. Just remember to set a few aside for yourself first to avoid cross contamination!

Kim27 Contributor

Along the same lines as this... Are there any other mainstream cereals out there that Celiacs can safely eat? I know about the Chex cereals and I also eat Fruity Pebbles almost daily ;) I have heard there are possibly other types that are okay? It would be great to be able to expand the cereal choices. Thanks!

• 2 years later...
ShellyJ Newbie

Hello - I'm new here, and to be honest, I am not sure if I have a right to be here yet!!  Something is making me ill, and I am waiting for my test results back from the Doc to see if I am Coeliac... The reason I am posting is because I have a box of Aldi Crisp Rice (their version of Rice Krispies) and every time I have a bowl it makes me feel so sick.  I also have my usual - erm - tummy troubles after I have eaten them.  The annoying thing is I'm completely exhausted all the time too - and these seem to make it worse!  I haven't seen a dietician or anything yet, so I was surprised that rice crispies was a no go - I thought rice was ok!

I wish my doc would hurry up and get the results back to me - I'm not wishing this disease on myself in the slightest - but it sure would explain a LOT - so many symptoms match mine - to think that a change of diet might change all that sort of makes me want to get on with it....

GottaSki Mentor

Welcome Shelly!

Celiac Disease testing can be very frustrating.  Has your doctor already run a complete celiac antibody panel?  Make sure you don't remove gluten until you receive these results and decide with your doctors whether you will be having an endoscopy.

Take a look around -- check out this thread that contains a wealth of information for those new to Celiac Disease:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

This thread is a few years old, so those posting in it may not still be active....please feel free to post in current threads or start your own to introduce yourself.  Asking questions really does help a difficult process become a bit easier.

Hang in there :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Hello - I'm new here, and to be honest, I am not sure if I have a right to be here yet!!  Something is making me ill, and I am waiting for my test results back from the Doc to see if I am Coeliac... The reason I am posting is because I have a box of Aldi Crisp Rice (their version of Rice Krispies) and every time I have a bowl it makes me feel so sick.  I also have my usual - erm - tummy troubles after I have eaten them.  The annoying thing is I'm completely exhausted all the time too - and these seem to make it worse!  I haven't seen a dietician or anything yet, so I was surprised that rice crispies was a no go - I thought rice was ok!

I wish my doc would hurry up and get the results back to me - I'm not wishing this disease on myself in the slightest - but it sure would explain a LOT - so many symptoms match mine - to think that a change of diet might change all that sort of makes me want to get on with it....

The original Rice Krispies contain gluten.  Rice isn't the issue.  If you read the ingredients thay have malt (barley).  I don't know about the kind you purchased. 

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Shelly,

Welcome to the forum! :)

You have every right to be here.  All of us were in the dark about our condition at some point.  Kellogg's does make a gluten-free version of Rice Krispies now.  The box says gluten-free right on the front.

Have you checked the ingredients of the cereal that makes you sick?  I suggest you keep a nutrition label from that cereal for reference.  Maybe stick on the refrig with a magnet.  There may be one or more ingredients in a processed food that make a person sick.  So keeping a record of problem foods is  helpful later for figuring out probable bad actors.

Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® Gluten Free cereal

Open Original Shared Link

Whole grain brown rice, sugar, contains 2% or less of salt. BHT added to packaging for freshness.

Vitamins and Minerals: Iron, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), vitamin E (alpha tocopherol acetate), niacinamide, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamin hydrochloride), folic acid, vitamin D, vitamin B12.

mbrookes Community Regular

Seems there are two versions of Rice Krispies, one with gluten and one without. I checked with Kellog's and learned that NO store in Mississippi (where I live) carries the gluten free kind. What a bummer.

GottaSki Mentor

We only use "rice crispy" type cereal for rice crispy treats....I use Cocoa Pebbles or Environkidz Koala Krunch -- tried the newer gluten-free Rice Crispies and the kids said they didn't taste the same in RC Treats -- not very scientific -- perhaps they are simply used to the chocolate versions I've been making the past four years.

Adalaide Mentor

I also will not use Rice Krispies brand. They taste like crap. I prefer any other brand at all if I am making plain treats, which I rarely do. I usually make chocolate ones and through the fall and winter especially can make fun ones. I get the pumpkin or peppermint marshmallows and the Cocoa Pebbles and the treats are absolutely to die for. My husband says chocolate and pumpkin shouldn't go together, which is fine by me... I get to eat the whole batch! :ph34r:

GottaSki Mentor

I also will not use Rice Krispies brand. They taste like crap. I prefer any other brand at all if I am making plain treats, which I rarely do. I usually make chocolate ones and through the fall and winter especially can make fun ones. I get the pumpkin or peppermint marshmallows and the Cocoa Pebbles and the treats are absolutely to die for. My husband says chocolate and pumpkin shouldn't go together, which is fine by me... I get to eat the whole batch! :ph34r:

I recently found the pepperment marshmellows in a clearance bin -- the men and their friends were quite happy with the chocolate mint treats...I added a touch of mint extract -- am told they tasted like thin mint cookies -- darn it -- i hate it when that happens ;)

GlutenStinks15 Explorer

I have been addicted to the Cocoa Pebbles. LOVE that they are gluten free. Been eating them in the morning for the last two weeks and NO problems. YAY!

lpellegr Collaborator

The problem with the gluten-free Rice Krispies is that instead of just taking the malt out of the old ones, they made these out of brown rice.  They are not as crisp and taste different from the regular ones.  They should call them Rice Chewies or Rice Toughies, nasty little buggers.

Archived