This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

BeFree Contributor

Tonight's menu: Pork chops with apples and honey glaze, baked potato with broccoli

(Yep, more potatoes!)

"She didn't realize that an oven previously used to bake gluten pies etc. was a big no no for us"

What? My oven will CC me???? I sure hope not, it's baking my pork chops right now. Do you mean she used a TOASTER oven, with a crumby tray? Please explain for the newbie..... :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

notme Experienced

Tortilla soup! Actually made with tortillas!

get. out. where did you get them? (don't say teff, don't say teff, don't say teff...) :D

one of the 'other things' i miss is flour tortillas. although i am doing better with using the corn ones.

edited to say:

last night we made macaroni n cheese w/stewed tomatoes.

tonight we smoked salmon and tuna w/roasted potato rounds and acorn squash a'la billyhowell (yumms - butter, salt n pepper and brown sugar!)

but the other night we made: chicken chow mein like they used to make in new jersey :) complete with fried crispy noodles - o my gosh, i was in 'china paradise' :D

YoloGx Rookie

Tonight's menu: Pork chops with apples and honey glaze, baked potato with broccoli

(Yep, more potatoes!)

"She didn't realize that an oven previously used to bake gluten pies etc. was a big no no for us"

What? My oven will CC me???? I sure hope not, it's baking my pork chops right now. Do you mean she used a TOASTER oven, with a crumby tray? Please explain for the newbie..... :)

Yes, it will gluten you if you share an oven with someone that either currently uses it for gluten items, or if it was previously used for them in the past and hasn't been de-glutened. Does not matter what type of oven it is, it needs to be gluten free--even a microwave. Otherwise you are being exposed to gluten circulating in the hot oven air. If it wasn't new when you got it, you need to put it through the self cleaning cycle.

Am not sure if the old fashioned method of using lye to get off the old baked on stuff in an oven will work for a gas oven or an electric oven that doesn't have a self cleaning cycle (or one that works anyway). Be good to know this! Help me with this somebody!

Otherwise, I suggest you get a dedicated gluten-free toaster oven to bake your food (and/or a new microwave), or buy a new oven.

Gluten does not "die" unless it has been charred by 600 degree Farenheit heat for a while... At first you might not notice the effects of constant exposure to CC (cross contamination) from this or other sources, but believe me it takes its toll on your health. Far better to get rid of the source.

Marilyn R Community Regular

Yes, it will gluten you if you share an oven with someone that either currently uses it for gluten items, or if it was previously used for them in the past and hasn't been de-glutened. Does not matter what type of oven it is, it needs to be gluten free--even a microwave. Otherwise you are being exposed to gluten circulating in the hot oven air. If it wasn't new when you got it, you need to put it through the self cleaning cycle.

Am not sure if the old fashioned method of using lye to get off the old baked on stuff in an oven will work for a gas oven or an electric oven that doesn't have a self cleaning cycle (or one that works anyway). Be good to know this! Help me with this somebody!

Otherwise, I suggest you get a dedicated gluten-free toaster oven to bake your food (and/or a new microwave), or buy a new oven.

Gluten does not "die" unless it has been charred by 600 degree Farenheit heat for a while... At first you might not notice the effects of constant exposure to CC (cross contamination) from this or other sources, but believe me it takes its toll on your health. Far better to get rid of the source.

I got rid of my old grill, but sorry, I can't buy into getting rid of the old oven. I use parchment paper on top of my old cookie sheets and stick them in my old oven. I could be wrong, but wish you would provide scientific evidence (aricle or etc.) to make this claim.

lucia Enthusiast

-"Humble Vegetable Casserole," recipe from the "Enchanted Broccoli Forest" cookbook

-not-humble-at-all applesauce, with cranberries, tangerine juice & zest, cloves, allspice, bay leaf, maple syrup

notme Experienced

beef stroganoff w/tinkyada <pasta is awesome> fettucine and haaaarvard beets.

YoloGx Rookie

I got rid of my old grill, but sorry, I can't buy into getting rid of the old oven. I use parchment paper on top of my old cookie sheets and stick them in my old oven. I could be wrong, but wish you would provide scientific evidence (aricle or etc.) to make this claim.

I did not invent this problem about old gluteny ovens. I don't know if there is scientific proof or not, however almost everyone on celiac.com has to bake their baked items in a completely gluten-free oven or suffer from the effects. It is part of the standard procedure. Certainly you must have heard about it before now?? Just this last week both my boyfriend and I got CC'd from someone not following this protocol. We did not know what happened and then finally figured it out. Like I enquired before, it is possible perhaps to clean the oven with old fashioned brushed-on lye (Easy Off) without throwing it out. The spray on kind seems to be far less effective in this area. I'd like to know about this too actually, i.e., if the brushed on lye actually works on getting rid of the gluten or not. Otherwise it takes 600 degrees in a self cleaning oven to work for certain.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I did not invent this problem about old gluteny ovens. I don't know if there is scientific proof or not, however almost everyone on celiac.com has to bake their baked items in a completely gluten-free oven or suffer from the effects. It is part of the standard procedure. Certainly you must have heard about it before now?? Just this last week both my boyfriend and I got CC'd from someone not following this protocol. We did not know what happened and then finally figured it out. Like I enquired before, it is possible perhaps to clean the oven with old fashioned brushed-on lye (Easy Off) without throwing it out. The spray on kind seems to be far less effective in this area. I'd like to know about this too actually, i.e., if the brushed on lye actually works on getting rid of the gluten or not. Otherwise it takes 600 degrees in a self cleaning oven to work for certain.

Bea - to be honest I have never heard of that before. Contamination occurs with cross contact (ie touching). Unless your food it touching the sides of the oven walls, or directly on the oven rack - no contact should be made, thus no contamination. I have used a shared oven for almost seven years, with no issue.

YoloGx Rookie

Bea - to be honest I have never heard of that before. Contamination occurs with cross contact (ie touching). Unless your food it touching the sides of the oven walls, or directly on the oven rack - no contact should be made, thus no contamination. I have used a shared oven for almost seven years, with no issue.

I think you should open this up as a topic. You will find I am not alone in this opinion. It would be interesting to find out the scientific proof as you say. For most of us at any rate it is a very real problem. What you get in the circulating hot air in the oven does affect most of us and could be silently undermining your health in the background. Or not. Perhaps you are just lucky to be less affected? It would be good to know more...

Bea

Lisa Mentor

I think you should open this up as a topic. You will find I am not alone in this opinion. It would be interesting to find out the scientific proof as you say. For most of us at any rate it is a very real problem. What you get in the circulating hot air in the oven does affect most of us and could be silently undermining your health in the background. Or not. Perhaps you are just lucky to be less affected? It would be good to know more...

Bea

Yes, this could be separate topic. This thread has a great flow to it as it continues. We should not interrupt. :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Interesting....I've actually cooked both gluten and non gluten foods in my oven at the same time (Of course making sure the gluten food was on the bottom) and never noticed a problem.

kareng Grand Master

get. out. where did you get them? (don't say teff, don't say teff, don't say teff...) :D

one of the 'other things' i miss is flour tortillas. although i am doing better with using the corn ones.

edited to say:

last night we made macaroni n cheese w/stewed tomatoes.

tonight we smoked salmon and tuna w/roasted potato rounds and acorn squash a'la billyhowell (yumms - butter, salt n pepper and brown sugar!)

but the other night we made: chicken chow mein like they used to make in new jersey :) complete with fried crispy noodles - o my gosh, i was in 'china paradise' :D

Real tortilla soup is made with corn tortillas. It's one of the things people made hundreds of years ago to get rid of stale corn tortillas. They didn't have wheat before the Europeans came.

Cathey Apprentice

Chicken Cutlet Florentine w/ Shallot and Shiitake Mushrooms(rice flour wasn't bad), Grilled Baby Eggplant w/ Balsamic & EVOO over spring salad. (no goat cheese this week need lactose free for next 3 weeks).

Lisa Mentor

WOW! So many great cooks and recipes....We need a Celiac.com cookbook! :lol:

I ate out for the first time in months. My big brother is visiting from the other side of the country.

We went to an upscale fish chain restaurant with a gluten-free memu. We had to die for mussles and stone crab, swordfirsh, garlic mashed potatos and mixed veggies. I'll probably dream about it tonight. Have my fingers & toes crossed that I won't be sick tomorrow!

(Big Bro picked up the tab...yay !)

psawyer Proficient

Not my experience. And, based on what I have read here since 2004, not the experience of the majority here. There is a small but vocal minority supporting this view.

AVR1962 Collaborator

I ate out for the first time in months. My big brother is visiting from the other side of the country.

We went to an upscale fish chain restaurant with a gluten-free memu. We had to die for mussles and stone crab, swordfirsh, garlic mashed potatos and mixed veggies. I'll probably dream about it tonight. Have my fingers & toes crossed that I won't be sick tomorrow!

(Big Bro picked up the tab...yay !)

YAY!!!! It is always good to be able to go out and have a success!

AVR1962 Collaborator

Okay I splurged......I have to be REAl careful with tomatoes and basically avoid them but I so wanted some lasagne. It was WONDERFUL! Made it myself with Italian sauage and gluten free lasagne noodles. My daughter and husband both thought it was good too. Keeping my fingers crossed that I won't start itching!! :blink:

BeFree Contributor

For lunch today:

Pork Chop

Carrot Fries--mmm so good! I have to admit they didn't make it to my plate. I ate them while the meat was cooking :rolleyes:

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I found some hormel italian sausage at wallmart gluten-free. Pre cooked ,so I made sausage and basil pizza last night. Tonight pasta salad,and perhaps pigs n blanket. Not facey,but comforting .

MyMississippi Enthusiast

Home made chicken pot pie with biscuit topping.

We had gluten-free pizza with shrimp, bacon, serrano pepper, onion, mozzarella and parmesan cheese. First time I used the Chebe pizza mix and I'm in love with it! Had that with a cup of rich homemade cream of mushroom soup. The best part was dipping the thicker end pieces of crust in the soup, which was a pretty basic recipe but I added a wee bit of sauteed fennel and it was sublime. DP was really happy about the pizza, said he'd be happy to have it once a week but suggested I omit the shrimp.

alex11602 Collaborator

For lunch today:

Pork Chop

Carrot Fries--mmm so good! I have to admit they didn't make it to my plate. I ate them while the meat was cooking :rolleyes:

I love carrot fries!!! We usually make them with salt, pepper, brown sugar and cinnamon. What did you put on them?

Lisa Mentor

I love carrot fries!!! We usually make them with salt, pepper, brown sugar and cinnamon. What did you put on them?

Have to ask...what are carrot fries? And how do you prepare them? They sound great.

Tonight...theater popcorn and Puss & Boots with a special nine year old.

alex11602 Collaborator

Have to ask...what are carrot fries? And how do you prepare them? They sound great.

Tonight...theater popcorn and Puss & Boots with a special nine year old.

We make ours by cutting up baby carrots (you can use regular too) and putting some olive oil and seasoning on them. In an earlier post I think I said that I put salt, pepper, brown sugar and cinnamon...it's all to taste. Then bake at 350 til the carrots are tender and slightly brown, I think it took about 20 min in my oven.