This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pancake Syrup

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

I am allergic to pure maple syrup from the tree. It gives me hives. That being said, I need to find a pancake syrup that is gluten free. Karo has one called Pancake Syrup and their website says that all of their syrups are gluten free. It does list artificial flavors though. Anyone use this or know of anything else that I can use?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

I love molasses or honey on pancakes. It's a different flavor than maple syrup, but any of the "pancake syrup" type products will have artificial maple flavoring.

GFreeMO Proficient

I love molasses or honey on pancakes. It's a different flavor than maple syrup, but any of the "pancake syrup" type products will have artificial maple flavoring.

Molasses is a great idea! Thanks!

What is the ingredient in the fake syrups that is bad for us? Is there hidden barley or something? Wheat would have to be listed so what makes them gluten-ey?

kareng Grand Master

Molasses is a great idea! Thanks!

What is the ingredient in the fake syrups that is bad for us? Is there hidden barley or something? Wheat would have to be listed so what makes them gluten-ey?

Nothing makes the ones that say gluten-free on the website gluteny. Some people don't like artificial flavors or artificial anything.

GFreeMO Proficient

Nothing makes the ones that say gluten-free on the website gluteny. Some people don't like artificial flavors or artificial anything.

I always heard that the fake syrups were a no go as far as being gluten free. Are Aunt Jemima and Hungry Jack etc.? gluten free? I don't care if it's artificial, I just don't want gluten. :)

kareng Grand Master

I just looked at the Hungry Jack lite ingredients. Not a lot of natural stuff but nothing jumps out at me that it contains gluten.

According to my "Is that gluten-free?" app, aunt jemimas are listed as gluten-free.

Dixiebell Contributor

This response was from 11/23/2010

Dear Valued Consumer,

Thank you for taking the time to inquire about Pinnacle Foods Group, LLC and the products we produce which may be gluten-free. We appreciate your interest in our company and our products.

There is no gluten in the Log Cabin Butter Flavored Syrup, in Log Cabin Original and Log Cabin Lite. Log Cabin Country Kitchen syrups are also gluten free.

The caramel color used in LC Original syrup does not contain any gluten ingredients; product is 100% caramel color. There is no Barley in the Caramel Color of the Log Cabin syrups. Our caramel color suppliers do not use wheat or gluten as source material.

There is a flavor in the Sugar-Free Syrups that does contain barley, so the Log Cabin Sugar-Free syrups are not considered to be gluten-free. There has not been a formulation change to add or eliminate the gluten.

Our supplier has confirmed that the Rice Syrup used for the 100% Natural Log Cabin Syrup does not contain - nor is it processed using anything that contains gluten. Any gluten-containing materials are segregated from the non-gluten containing Rice Syrup.

While our manufacturing facilities follow the accepted good manufacturing practices, we do not have the flexibility of segregating production lines for the exclusive production of wheat-free items.

Since we are constantly improving our products, ingredients change on a regular basis which may affect gluten based ingredients. With that, we must recommend that you review the list of ingredients on the current package prior to purchase to ensure that you are meeting your specific dietary needs.

We appreciate the time you've taken to share your specific concerns with us, as it helps us to become aware of consumer needs. Thank you again for your contact.

Sincerely,

Hollie Allen

Consumer Relations Representative

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

This response was from 11/23/2010

Dear Valued Consumer,

Thank you for taking the time to inquire about Pinnacle Foods Group, LLC and the products we produce which may be gluten-free. We appreciate your interest in our company and our products.

There is no gluten in the Log Cabin Butter Flavored Syrup, in Log Cabin Original and Log Cabin Lite. Log Cabin Country Kitchen syrups are also gluten free.

The caramel color used in LC Original syrup does not contain any gluten ingredients; product is 100% caramel color. There is no Barley in the Caramel Color of the Log Cabin syrups. Our caramel color suppliers do not use wheat or gluten as source material.

There is a flavor in the Sugar-Free Syrups that does contain barley, so the Log Cabin Sugar-Free syrups are not considered to be gluten-free. There has not been a formulation change to add or eliminate the gluten.

Our supplier has confirmed that the Rice Syrup used for the 100% Natural Log Cabin Syrup does not contain - nor is it processed using anything that contains gluten. Any gluten-containing materials are segregated from the non-gluten containing Rice Syrup.

While our manufacturing facilities follow the accepted good manufacturing practices, we do not have the flexibility of segregating production lines for the exclusive production of wheat-free items.

Since we are constantly improving our products, ingredients change on a regular basis which may affect gluten based ingredients. With that, we must recommend that you review the list of ingredients on the current package prior to purchase to ensure that you are meeting your specific dietary needs.

We appreciate the time you've taken to share your specific concerns with us, as it helps us to become aware of consumer needs. Thank you again for your contact.

Sincerely,

Hollie Allen

Consumer Relations Representative

Thanks for posting this. My budget doesn't allow the pure maple syrup anymore, even though I really like it. It's nice to know the log cabin is safe. WooHoo I can have pancakes and waffles for supper again. :)

txplowgirl Enthusiast

I've been eating Log Cabin with no problems and I am super sensitive with gluten. It's oky doky. :D

Wenmin Enthusiast

How about Steen's 100% Pure Cane Syrup? This is what I use, but of course it is made locally in Abbeville,Louisiana. DOn't know if you can get it where you are from. The website is www.steensyrup.com I find it much better tasting than maple syrup.

Another alternative to syrup is sweetened condensed milk or just plain butter and sugar. This is what I grew up on to use with pancakes. We would make really thin pancakes, top with butter and sugar and roll inot a log. This was called crepes.

Wenmin

tarnalberry Community Regular

I use jam. Way better than syrup! :)

Dixiebell Contributor

My grandmother would make 'homemade syrup' with water and sugar and boil it until it got a little thick. I always loved it.

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks everyone for the info and wonderful ideas! I appreciate it so much!

Archived