This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

There's nothing here yet

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Mel2024
    Newest Member
    Mel2024
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• captaincrab55
      Bonnaz,  IMO it sounds like you have many foolish family members and friends!  There may well be a chance that your mom may have celiac disease.  Keep reminding yourself that Celiac Disease isn't an Allergy that may go away with further exposure!  You may need to consider finding new friends that also have celiac disease.  There are groups that get together in many areas.  They often meet at restaurants that serve Gluten Free Meals.  Good Luck.  
    • SoBannaz
      Anyone else have family like this? I’ve been gluten free for a little over a decade now. I was diagnosed as a teenager through a gastroenterologist.  But I still get eye rolls and scoffs when I say I can’t eat certain things. I get compared to other family who have celiac they say “but so and so eats this and they have celiac.” Same with my nut allergies (which has been confirmed by an allergist)  my mother “had” nut allergies growing up and a plethora of other food allergies she tells me I need to eat what I’m allergic to and that it will go away. Even just interacting day to day. It is such a social thing to eat whether it be at work or at home. I feel like my coworkers think I’m being difficult when I don’t indulged.  I have people constantly trying to get me to eat things I know will make me sick. No matter how many times I explain it. Me doing what’s healthy for me seems to bother other people for some reason. 
    • cristiana
      One other thought: what other blood tests have you had? It might be worth having your iron and haemaglobin levels tested.  
    • Jean Shifrin
    • Scott Adams
      I just want to make sure that you've been eating gluten daily, 2-4 slices of wheat bread, for 6-8 weeks leading up to your blood panel for celiac disease: This article might be helpful. It breaks down each type of test, and what a positive results means in terms of the probability that you might have celiac disease. One test that always needs to be done is the IgA Levels/Deficiency Test (often called "Total IGA") because some people are naturally IGA deficient, and if this is the case, then certain blood tests for celiac disease might be false-negative, and other types of tests need to be done to make an accurate diagnosis. The article includes the "Mayo Clinic Protocol," which is the best overall protocol for results to be ~98% accurate.