This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate
  1. captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

diogenis06
    Newest Member
    diogenis06
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Wormsy22
    • trents
      CeeBee, you might find this interesting and even share it with your doctors: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7868701/ I hope you aren't insulted by this comment, but I have gotten the definite impression from following many postings on this forum that your healthcare system there in the UK is rather inflexible when it comes to ordering diagnostic testing and the patients seem to have little room for input. In part at least, this may be due to the system being overly stressed. When checking for celiac disease, many doctors in the UK will only order the TTG-IGA blood antibody test. Ideally, a more complete celiac antibody panel would be ordered which would include: Total IGA TTG-IGA DGP-IGA TTG-IGG DGP-IGG At bare minimum, at least the first two should be ordered. Please consider talking to your physician about this.  
    • glucel
      Good thought about the countries not producing a lot of wheat.
    • knitty kitty
      @Wormsy22, B12 and Folate can be high if there's a deficiency in Pyridoxine B6 and Thiamine B1.   Do consider a gluten challenge with 10 grams (4-6 slices of bread or equivalents) for several weeks before having complete blood tests for antigluten antibodies as @trents and @Scott Adams mentioned.   Do ask for DNA screening to check for Celiac genes. Talk to your doctor and nutritionist before starting supplementation.  Further testing for nutritional deficiencies can be masked if taking vitamin supplements.  Some medications can interfere with the absorption and utilization of B vitamins.  Be sure to take all eight B vitamins (a methylated B Complex once or twice a day is a good idea).  Higher doses than the recommended daily amount are needed to build up the depleted store of vitamins within cells. I took Benfotiamine, a form of Thiamine shown to promote intestinal healing.  Start with 100 mg with each meal.  Avoid vitamins with Thiamine Mononitrate as this form is not easily utilized by the body.   I also take a form of Thiamine called Allithiamine (Tetrahydrofurfuryl Disulfide - TTFD) which helps with brain and nerve functions.  Start with 50 mg once a day.  You can increase your doses as you continue to see improvements.  Thiamine is water soluble and nontoxic even in high doses.  All the B vitamins are water soluble and easily excreted in urine.   The World Health Organization says the best way to check for Thiamine deficiency is to take it and look for health improvements.  Some people need to take larger doses to see improvements.  300 mg of Benfotiamine, 100 mg of Allithiamine TTFD, or 500 mg of Thiamine Hydrochloride.  
    • CeeBee1807
      Hi Trent.    Thank you for the welcome and your response.    That is interesting regarding the elevated liver enzymes, my GP said they had no idea why they may be increased and recommended another blood test in 4 months to see if they were still raised and if so they would look to investigate further.    I am indeed in the UK, so that is positive news and may hopefully speed up the process if it is indeed celiac disease. I’m obviously keen to cut gluten out as soon as possible so if it can be based on the blood test alone that could save me another few months of suffering!    I will definitely get on to my GP and see if they will schedule the tests for me 🤞 As much as I would like it not to be, I’m also hoping that I may have finally found out the cause of the last year of misery. Thanks again CeeBee