This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Craving A Bagel...

carriecraig

carriecraig Enthusiast

Ok, I live in NYC, and bagels are everywhere! They are so tasty, and I am having the worst cravings for one. I'd also love to give in and have a slice of pizza. Can someone tell me if these cravings go away?

I feel weak, and depressed... Any words of encouragement?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

No bagel tastes as good a New York bagel. Give that dream up NOW. Kinnikinnick has bagels that are very good for gluten free. Pizza crusts too. Still not near the same as a New York pizza.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

They may or may not go away but there are great substitutes. For everything that has gluten there is something that is gluten free.

Kinnikinnick has gluten free bagels

Foods by George has english muffins that are really good(I toast the cinnamon and put strawberry Kraft cream cheese on it-soo good)

There are many good breads that we can have. You'll pick up on the good brands and then it won't bother you as much hopefully :D

ianm Apprentice

After reading the book "Dangerous Grains" I had absolutely no desire to eat anything even remotely like bread ever again.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I made my whole family gluten free after reading Dangerous Grains. Only one member out of the five has celiac disease.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

You should stop by Risotteria Open Original Shared Link. They have great gluten-free pizza!

I also like Kinnikinnicks cinnamon rasin bagels, so yummie!

happygirl Collaborator

I completely understand! Before celiac disease, bagels were truly my favorite food. I think out of everything else, I miss popping in to a bakery on my way to class and picking up a fresh-baked bagel. I've been gluten-free for almost a year now (Aug. 23rd) and I still wish I could have bagels. However, the craving is not nearly as bad as it was last year, and I never thought it would die down.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

I loooooove the Glutino bagels. And until a few months ago, I thought I was alone--then someone asked about the best bagel @ the delphi board and most others agreed...try it--it's not the same--a little lighter (I live in NY, as well), but it's the best thing I've found so far. What's funny is that at first I didn't like it, since I tried it right after getting diagnosed. Then my tastes adapted and now I love them and eat them every morning...

Guest Tracykobegf

WEST MEADOW FARM BAKERY in Vermont!!!!!! If you want a bagel that doesnt taste gluten-free then this is where you go! They are a little smaller but like I said they are delicious! They are about $1 a bagel but worth it. The lady who runs the bakery makes them fresh and she will make any kind you want! She has a web site but it is still under construction but her telephone number is there, just give her a call, shes very nice and also has muffins (also great) delicious donuts that taste like real doughboys and pies (havent tried them yet but i'm sure they are good) Hope I helped !

carriecraig Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Carrie

bremac Apprentice

I"ve been gluten free for 4 years now and I still get the occassional cravings for bagels, pizza, oreos, etc. Every once in while I start crying, and I think its pent up emotions coming out becaues usually I am fine being around people eating tons of stuff I can't have.

Personally, I am not a fan of Kinnikinick bagels. I LOVE Glutino bagels though. They redid them last year and now they are bigger (about the size of a bagel, say, from Brueggers). I love them!

Archived