This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are Chopped Walnuts Gluten Free?

MyMommyHasCeliac

MyMommyHasCeliac Newbie

So I'm Making Brownies, and I wanted to know if Chopped walnuts that come in a bag are gluten free, some how i remember that they're not...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

It depends on the brand...many nuts do have statments on them such as "may contain wheat".

WinterSong Community Regular

Also make sure you look to see if they're produced at the same facility/on the same equipment as wheat.

domesticactivist Collaborator

We always buy nuts in bulk rinse them, then soak the nuts in salted water overnight. The next day we dehydrate them about 24 hours. This process helps remove cc and also, makes the nuts more easily digestible.

MyMommyHasCeliac Newbie

We always buy nuts in bulk rinse them, then soak the nuts in salted water overnight. The next day we dehydrate them about 24 hours. This process helps remove cc and also, makes the nuts more easily digestible.

Oh, interesting. i'll do that thank you.

sa1937 Community Regular

I use Fisher's in the small bags that are hanging in the area around the chocolate chips (at least in Wal-Mart). I've never had a problem with them but maybe it's just me. Since I don't use a lot of them, I like the 2 oz. bags (1/2 cup). There's no warning on them that they may contain wheat, etc.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

DocTMyrz
    Newest Member
    DocTMyrz
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @MO1984, I have dermatitis herpetiformis, too.  I've learned that glutamate can make dermatitis herpetiformis worse.  Some foods like mushrooms can contain high levels of glutamate.  Coffee and caffeine cause increased production of glutamate.   Glutamate is a helpful excitatory neurotransmitter that our bodies can make.  It helps wake us up in the morning.  It keeps us alert when under stress.  But too much can cause insomnia.  And too much glutamate can cause the antibodies associated with dermatitis herpetiformis (tTg 3) to become more active and deposit in the skin.   dermatitis herpetiformis is pressure sensitive.  dermatitis herpetiformis eruptions occur where there's pressure on the skin, like in the crotch where the skin folds together, under elastic bands in underwear, and along seams of clothing.   Wearing loose clothing made of natural fibers helps immensely.   Hope this helps!
    • Jennie6308
      Hi, I know this was posted earlier this year, but Quest labs just types you .. as in it just gives you your two A and two B alleles.   I came back positive for Celiac - DQ2.5 and positive for DQ7 which is getting some notice lately.  I'm also positive blood work, deficiencies, symptoms, mom has Celiac, etc... hope that helps if you're still looking.  You can order the test direct through Quest
    • trents
      One small study I read recently found that half of the celiacs in the study experienced small bowel villous inflammation from CMP (Cow's Milk Protein). 
    • trents
    • Chloe Senora
      It’s interesting that you say this. I’ve been constipated all my life, fatigued since I got my first period, severely anemic for 2 and a half years, low vitamin D. But it wasn’t until after I got food poisoning a couple weeks ago, that I have not had a normal bowel movement since. And my drs told me to eat a lot of gluten because they want to test me for celiac, primarily because of the anemia and chronically low ferritin. Ferritin is supposed to be 14 but ideally 50-146. 2 and a half years ago it was 3.7, then 7.3, then 10.3, but now it’s 5. And a year ago I got on birth control so I don’t even get a period anymore. Almost all of my current health issues (much more than just celiac) either started or became a lot worse after I got Covid 2 years ago. If anyone has any tips for me it’d be greatly appreciated. Waiting on my blood test results, should get them in a day or 2.